* ANN: DocbookInContext
@ 2002-07-24 20:40 Simon Pepping
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0207251106001.11705-100000@warp9.physik.fu-b erlin.de>
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-07-24 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am pleased to announce the first release of DocbookInContext.

DocbookInContext is a mapping of Docbook XML files to the ConTeXt
macro package for TeX. It is built upon the XML interface of
context. It allows one to produce a typeset version of a Docbook XML
file, in dvi or pdf format.

It is available from http://www.hobby.nl/~scaprea/context/.
See also http://www.miwie.org/db-context/ for information.

The first release implements the basic structure and mappings for a
selected set of elements. In view of the complexity of the Docbook
DTD, this can only be the beginning. Significant progress can only be
achieved with the help of more contributors. Anybody who has a
contribution, is invited to contact Simon Pepping.

DocbookInContext is written by Simon Pepping and Michael Wiedmann. It
is released under the GNU General Public License.

--
Simon Pepping
email: spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl

* Re: ANN: DocbookInContext
@ 2002-07-25  9:28 ` Tobias Burnus
                     ` (2 more replies)
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0207251106001.11705-100000@warp9.physik.fu-b erlin.de>
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2002-07-25  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Simon Pepping wrote:
> DocbookInContext is a mapping of Docbook XML files to the ConTeXt
> macro package for TeX.

First I want to thank for the Docbook support, which I missed (and thus
I didn't wrote Docbooks myself but sticked to TeX itself). Thus I'm
completely new to the Docbook format.

Some things I observed:

   there is no space between first and surname.

b) What is the best way to typseset
     http://www.docbook.org/xml/mathml/1.0/testmath.xml
   I somehow failed to get the mml: namespace -> mathml working

c) The xtag-docbook-literals-de.tex: \def\XMLDBstartquote{``} are not
   the quotations used in German (,, ... '', see lang-ger.tex)

d) What I think would be nice if the author and title could be
   automatically mapped to the \setupinteraction[author=,title=]

e) The <!DOCTYPE ... [ <!ENTITY chap1 SYSTEM "chap1.xml"> ]>
       &chap1;
   doesn't work here. Is this a problem of ConTeXt or is this SGML
   instead of XML or ...?

f) HANS: Is it possible to map the encoding in
     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
   automatically to a input regime - at least if it is present?

With warm regards,

Tobias

* Re: ANN: DocbookInContext
@ 2002-07-25  9:40   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2002-07-25  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

Hi,

another thing:

Using \setupheadertexts[section][pagenumber]
and <title>... über ...</title>

I get as header ... "udiaeresis ber ...
what is not exactly what I want.
(Using \section{über} this works ok.)

Tobias

* Re: ANN: DocbookInContext
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0207251106001.11705-100000@warp9.physik.fu-b erlin.de>
@ 2002-07-25 10:11   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-25 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

At 11:28 AM 7/25/2002 +0200, Tobias Burnus wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Simon Pepping wrote:
> > DocbookInContext is a mapping of Docbook XML files to the ConTeXt
> > macro package for TeX.
>
>First I want to thank for the Docbook support, which I missed (and thus
>I didn't wrote Docbooks myself but sticked to TeX itself). Thus I'm
>completely new to the Docbook format.

when i have time, i will make a basic docbook module on which other docbook
modules can be build, so that will take care of some low evel (general xml
related) things

>b) What is the best way to typseset
>      http://www.docbook.org/xml/mathml/1.0/testmath.xml
>    I somehow failed to get the mml: namespace -> mathml working

hm, you should set up xml-context to ignore the mml prefix

>f) HANS: Is it possible to map the encoding in
>      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
>    automatically to a input regime - at least if it is present?

sure, just play with xtag-uft or enco files and let me know what to do

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: ANN: DocbookInContext
@ 2002-07-25 19:22   ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-07-25 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for your extensive reaction.

I must admit that I have done what developers should not do: be
unreachable for some time after a release. I will be not be reading my
email much for the coming three weeks. So, bear with me and I will go
over all remarks when I am back.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 11:28:02AM +0200, Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Simon Pepping wrote:
> > DocbookInContext is a mapping of Docbook XML files to the ConTeXt
> > macro package for TeX.
>
> First I want to thank for the Docbook support, which I missed (and thus
> I didn't wrote Docbooks myself but sticked to TeX itself). Thus I'm
> completely new to the Docbook format.
>
> Some things I observed:

>    there is no space between first and surname.

I see. I will have to devise a way to deal with that correctly. Now
the elements within author are typeset as they come; inserting a space
requires a greater control over them. I would have to find out what
the previous or next sibling is.

> b) What is the best way to typseset
>      http://www.docbook.org/xml/mathml/1.0/testmath.xml
>    I somehow failed to get the mml: namespace -> mathml working

I do not know that document. I will look it up.

> c) The xtag-docbook-literals-de.tex: \def\XMLDBstartquote{``} are not
>    the quotations used in German (,, ... '', see lang-ger.tex)
>
> d) What I think would be nice if the author and title could be
>    automatically mapped to the \setupinteraction[author=,title=]

Hmm, you know so much more about ConTeXt than I do. I'll check the
manual to see what you mean.

> e) The <!DOCTYPE ... [ <!ENTITY chap1 SYSTEM "chap1.xml"> ]>
>        &chap1;
>    doesn't work here. Is this a problem of ConTeXt or is this SGML
>    instead of XML or ...?

A context problem. The first entity is missed.

> f) HANS: Is it possible to map the encoding in
>      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
>    automatically to a input regime - at least if it is present?

Regards, Simon

--

@ 2002-07-25 20:29   ` Michael Wiedmann
From: Michael Wiedmann @ 2002-07-25 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

* Tobias Burnus <tobias.burnus@physik.fu-berlin.de> [020725 11:28]:

>    there is no space between first and surname.

It works if you markup like (whitespace!):

                                    ===

or even better (more readable anyway):

<author>
  <firstname>Tobias</firstname>
  <surname>Burnus</surname>
</author>

> c) The xtag-docbook-literals-de.tex: \def\XMLDBstartquote{``} are not
>    the quotations used in German (,, ... '', see lang-ger.tex)

Simon will take care of this.

> e) The <!DOCTYPE ... [ <!ENTITY chap1 SYSTEM "chap1.xml"> ]>
>        &chap1;
>    doesn't work here. Is this a problem of ConTeXt or is this SGML
>    instead of XML or ...?

I noticed a bug in ConteXt in handling entity resolution in internal
subsets some weeks ago (the first entity does not work).
As a workaround try to put a dummy entity in front of any other
actually used entities, like:

<!DOCTYPE ...
[
 <!ENTITY dummy "dummy">
 <!ENTITY chap1 SYSTEM "chap1.xml">
]>

Michael
--
mw@miwie.in-berlin.de                              http://www.miwie.org
mw@miwie.org

* Re: ANN: DocbookInContext
@ 2002-07-26  8:56     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-26  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

At 09:22 PM 7/25/2002 +0200, Simon Pepping wrote:

> > a) Using
> >    there is no space between first and surname.
>
>I see. I will have to devise a way to deal with that correctly. Now
>the elements within author are typeset as they come; inserting a space
>requires a greater control over them. I would have to find out what
>the previous or next sibling is.

even better:

use \defineXMLsave to store the name components, and then flush them (when
present) in the way you want

@ 2002-07-27 11:38   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-27 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Tobias,

>e) The <!DOCTYPE ... [ <!ENTITY chap1 SYSTEM "chap1.xml"> ]>
>        &chap1;
>    doesn't work here. Is this a problem of ConTeXt or is this SGML
>    instead of XML or ...?

can you test with:

\def\handleXMLdoctype#1[#2]>%
   {#2}

@ 2002-08-01 19:20       ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-08-01 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 10:56:03AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 09:22 PM 7/25/2002 +0200, Simon Pepping wrote:
>
> > > a) Using
> > >    there is no space between first and surname.
> >
> >I see. I will have to devise a way to deal with that correctly. Now
> >the elements within author are typeset as they come; inserting a space
> >requires a greater control over them. I would have to find out what
> >the previous or next sibling is.
>
> even better:
>
> use \defineXMLsave to store the name components, and then flush them (when
> present) in the way you want

In that way you would loose the order of the components. I would like
to have the effect that is achieved by this XSLT template:

<xsl:template match="author">
  <xsl:apply-templates
	select="honorific|firstname|surname|lineage|othername"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template
	match="honorific|firstname|surname|lineage|othername">
  <xsl:choose>
	<xsl:when test="position() != 1"> </xsl:when>
  </xsl:choose>
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

I think I will do something with \ignorespaces and adding the explicit
space. When the interjections follow a more complicated pattern,
author will have to be saved and processed several times.

Simon