From: Viktor Varheit <varheit@gmx.de>
Subject: Force floats to flow of text
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:04:42 +0200	[thread overview]

When using floats I often want to make sure that the float is set at
exactly that position specified in the source, even if that means a lot
of whitespace on certain pages. In particular, I want to prevent the
text following the float from 'overtaking' it. From the user manual I
learned that 'force' can be used to control this behaviour. But it does
not seem to work the way I expected it.

Let me illustrate this with a short example:

--------------------   cut here   --------------------
\setuppapersize[A5][A5]
\setupbodyfont[16pt,sansserif]
\setupcolors[state=start]

\starttext
\chapter{The placement of figures}

{\blue Some figures need to be placed exactly at the position specified
in the source. This does not always work correctly. Some figures need to
be placed exactly at the position specified in the source. This does not
always work correctly. Some figures need to be placed exactly at the
position specified in the source. This does not always work correctly.}

\reservefigure
  [width=\textwidth,height=6cm]
  [force]
  [fig:example]
  {This is a forced figure}

{\red This text following the above figure is not saying very much.}

\stoptext

I want to make sure the red text is not typeset before the figure.

Any hints welcome...

Vik