* Re: New user's first successes and problems
@ 2002-08-30  0:51 Robert Lopez
From: Robert Lopez @ 2002-08-30  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

From: Henning Hraban Ramm <angerweit@gmx.net>

> Am Donnerstag, 29. August 2002 02:22 schrieb Robert Lopez:
> > There is supposed to be a command which is "context" which I should be
> > able to use on this file as "context 105". But I have no such
> > executable.
>
> Who supposes that to be? There isn't. texexec is what you need.

Upon reading again pp 4,5 of "LaTeX in proper ConTeXt" by Berend de Boer
I see you are of course correct. I think that the line which says
"context test.tex" on page 5 is a typo which Berend de Boer ment to
say "texexec text.tex".

> > This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1)
>
> Far too old!
> ConTeXt needs a recent pdf(e)TeX; at least >14 (13 means 0.13); actual is
> 1.0something.

Oh? I am a bit confused how 0.13 or 1.0something newer than 3.14159...

Ok. I shall attend to that soon. I try usually to upgrade teTeX and
not do many upgrades to components in between them. Is a newer teTeX
required or should I get just a newer pdfeTeX from CTAN? Perhaps I should
ask that in the tex news group?

> > %% \setupcolor{state=start}
>
> all \setup commands use [square brackets], not {curly}.

My poor vision. Thank you. Of course that fixed this.

> > I am supposed to be able to process this and other files with a
> > command which is pdfetex.
> > Another syntax of that command is "pdfetex \&cont-en --progname=context
> > filename".
>
> May be right, but why do you want to twist your fingers, if texexec does
> everything for you?

Fine. I thought possibly different tools had different features.

> > ! Font \*12ptrmtf*=utmr8t at 12.0pt not loadable: \
> > Metric (TFM) file not found.
>
> Did you look after utmr8t.tfm? (URW "Times Roman")

I do not understand. I have no file on my system with utmr8t in the name.
I checked that. I do have these files:

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/times/utmr8a.afm
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/times/utmri8a.afm
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/urw/times/utmr8a.pfb
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/urw/times/utmri8a.pfb

> Tip: Try fonts if other things run. Most beginners find that extremely
> complicated.

I do not understand what you mean by "Try fonts".

> > I put in place the emacs mode file, context.el.
>
> I don't use emacs, can't tell anything.

Fine. You are already a very good help.

> > To see how much I can learn about ConTeXt, especially the feature
> > which made me most interested, but perhaps least documented, the
> > ability to make flow charts.
>
> There's a special doc about flowcharts (as with some other specials).

Is this the mchart.pdf from http://www.pragma-ade.nl/ or do you refer
to an other? This is the page which attracted my interest in ConTeXt.

> Have a look at my or at Bill's ConTeXt help pages!
> You can find the link to Bill via the Pragma ("user links") or mine pages.

Thank you very much. I shall have a look.

> Grüßlis vom Hraban!
> --
> http://www.fiee.net/texnique/ (german, some sources)
> http://www.ramm.ch/context/ (ConTeXt cookbook, a few tips)
> ---

Regards.

* Re: New user's first successes and problems
@ 2002-08-30  7:26 ` mari.voipio
From: mari.voipio @ 2002-08-30  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Robert Lopez wrote:

> > > ! Font \*12ptrmtf*=utmr8t at 12.0pt not loadable: \
> > > Metric (TFM) file not found.
> >
> > Did you look after utmr8t.tfm? (URW "Times Roman")
>
> I do not understand. I have no file on my system with utmr8t in the name.
> I checked that. I do have these files:
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/times/utmr8a.afm
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/times/utmri8a.afm
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/urw/times/utmr8a.pfb
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/urw/times/utmri8a.pfb

In that case: did you run the script texfont? If not

texfont --encoding=ec --batch type-tmf.dat

will help a lot. If you are using another encoding, replace
"--encoding=ec" with "--encoding=texnansi" or "--encoding=8r" to get
usable results.

Depending on what kind of system you are using, it may run
	mktexlsr
after each font file (my TeXLive in Windows does - MikTeX didn't). If it
doesn't, make sure you do it. Or use some other way (i.e. a menu command
or similar, depends on the system) to update your file name database. The
main point is that the new metric files (*.tfm) will not work until you
update the file name database.

Texfont will generate the metric files (*.tfm) out of the *.afm files).
The command is easiest to look up on page 37 of the "Fonts in ConTeXt"
manual. The command syntax is explained on the page 32 of the same manual.
There's also a separate manual "TeXfont explained", which may help as
well.

I found that by looking up all the *.tfm files I could easily get a list
of fonts available to me in the system I'm using - basically I seem to
need to rely on the urw fonts, which suits me fine.

BTW. The type-map.tex that came with my TeXLive had couple of spelling
mistakes (and was a lot smaller than the one that came with my MikTeX),
which meant that all other fonts but Helvetica worked (I found out about
it because my text in Helvetica didn't get diacritics and all others did -
and \showbodyfont went all bad with Helvetica) - if it seems that some
fonts work and others don't, try to isolate the problem font by font.

> > Tip: Try fonts if other things run. Most beginners find that extremely
> > complicated.
>
> I do not understand what you mean by "Try fonts".

He wants to same thing I found about in a fairly hard way: Do not worry
about fonts as long as your computer modern works, i.e. you get something
on the screen.
When you have gotten about everything else to work, you will be better
equipped to deal with the fonts, that part really is very tricky (been
there, done that, still learning, MikTeX never got them right).

mari
(finally enjoying the delights of standard postscript fonts.)

* Re: New user's first successes and problems
@ 2002-08-30  9:02   ` mari.voipio
From: mari.voipio @ 2002-08-30  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 mari.voipio@iki.fi wrote:

> BTW. The type-map.tex that came with my TeXLive had couple of spelling
> mistakes

ARGH, I messed up here (and in my computer): I _meant_ the file
type-enc.tex, there some of the ec encoded Helvetica lines had typos.
(That TeXLive CD has been burned around end of May).

mari

* Re: New user's first successes and problems
@ 2002-09-01 17:00 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-09-01 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Freitag, 30. August 2002 02:51 schrieb Robert Lopez:
> > > This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1)
> > Far too old!
> > ConTeXt needs a recent pdf(e)TeX; at least >14 (13 means 0.13); actual is
> > 1.0something.
> Oh? I am a bit confused how 0.13 or 1.0something newer than 3.14159...

Near PI is the version of TeX; the rest is the version of pdfTeX!

> > Did you look after utmr8t.tfm? (URW "Times Roman")
> I do not understand. I have no file on my system with utmr8t in the name.
> I checked that. I do have these files:
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/times/utmr8a.afm
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/times/utmri8a.afm
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/urw/times/utmr8a.pfb
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/urw/times/utmri8a.pfb

Look after *.tfm files. These are the metrics TeX needs to typeset.

> > Tip: Try fonts if other things run. Most beginners find that extremely
> > complicated.
> I do not understand what you mean by "Try fonts".

I meant: First make sure everything other works right (MetaPost etc.),
then care about fonts. (as others said, too)

> Is this the mchart.pdf from http://www.pragma-ade.nl/ or do you refer
> to an other? This is the page which attracted my interest in ConTeXt.

It is. There's no other, AFAIK.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net
http://www.ramm.ch

* Re: New user's first successes and problems
@ 2002-08-29 21:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-29 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 06:22 PM 8/28/2002 -0600, Robert Lopez wrote:
>% interface=en output=pdftex translate=cp1250pl
>% compile with : texexec 105.tex

what is this cp1250pl i.e. polish to ec reencoding on the fly doing there?

nice summary, looks like a good start for an additional intro manual,

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: New user's first successes and problems
@ 2002-08-29 18:39 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-08-29 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-08-29  0:22 Robert Lopez
From: Robert Lopez @ 2002-08-29  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

% interface=en output=pdftex translate=cp1250pl
% compile with : texexec 105.tex

\setupbodyfont[10pt]

\starttext

\startstandardmakeup
\midaligned{Learning to make a ConTeXt document}
\midaligned{by}
\midaligned{Robert Lopez}
\stopstandardmakeup

\completecontent

\chapter{Introduction}

Perhaps the best way to describe my successes and my problems is
to use ConTeXt. The name of this file started as 101 and it is now
up to 105 as I have been using it to learn.

I have installed ConTeXt twice. The most recent version was installed
September 27, 2002.

It is installed on a Sun workstation which has teTeX 1.0.7 installed.

After installing a second time I find I have more working now.

I find I still have some problems\index{problems}.

In \in{chapter}[lastchapter], named \about[lastchapter], I will plan
for some next steps in my progress.

\chapter{What works}
\section[firstsection]{texexec}

I am able to process this file and some others with the texexec
command. I can also use it with a --output=pdf option. The file name
can be passed to it with or without the .tex suffix.

\subsection{texexec --verbose}

The command "texexec --verbose" dumps a lot of state information:
\starttyping
 TeXExec 3.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

     locating ini file : found by kpsewhich
               reading : /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/context/config/texexec.ini
               setting : 'TeXShell' to 'tetex' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en,nl,de,uk' for 'all'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'tex' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpExecutable' to 'mpost' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpToTeXExecutable' to 'mpto' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviToMpExecutable' to 'dvitomp' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en,nl,de,uk' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'tetex'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'pdfetex' for 'tetex'

          used setting : TeXShell = tetex
          used setting : SetupPath =
          used setting : UserInterface = en
          used setting : UsedInterfaces = en,nl,de,uk
          used setting : TeXFontsPath = .
          used setting : MpExecutable = mpost
          used setting : MpToTeXExecutable = mpto
          used setting : DviToMpExecutable = dvitomp
          used setting : TeXProgramPath =
          used setting : TeXFormatPath =
          used setting : ConTeXtPath =
          used setting : TeXScriptsPath =
          used setting : TeXExecutable = pdfetex
          used setting : TeXVirginFlag = -ini
          used setting : TeXBatchFlag = -int=batchmode
          used setting : MpBatchFlag = -int=batchmode
          used setting : TeXPassString =
          used setting : TeXFormatFlag =
          used setting : MpFormatFlag =
          used setting : MpVirginFlag = -ini
          used setting : MpPassString =
          used setting : MpFormat = metafun
          used setting : MpFormatPath =
          used setting : FmtLanguage =
          used setting : FmtBodyFont =
          used setting : FmtResponse =
          used setting : TcXPath =
          used setting : SetFile =
\stoptyping

\chapter{What does not work}\index{problems}
\section{Tools that do not work}

\subsection{context}\index{context}

There is supposed to be a command which is "context" which I should be
able to use on this file as "context 105". But I have no such
executable.

I found a cont-en file and tried this:
\starttyping
% cont-en 105.tex
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1)
entering extended mode
(105.tex[/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg]

ConTeXt  ver: 2002.8.23  fmt: 2002.8.27  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=100].
l.820 \def\
           obeyfollowingtoken{{}}  % end \cs scanning
No pages of output.
Transcript written on 105.log.

\stoptyping

%% This does not work. I put the next line also at the top of file
%% where it actually printed out "state=start" on a first page.
%% \setupcolor{state=start}
%% \startcolor[green]
%% The "\color[red]{context}\stopcolor" command seems to be one of the more useful. I need to
%% get that fixed.
%% \stopcolor

The "context" command seems to be one of the more useful. I need to
get that fixed.

\subsection{pdfetex}\index{pdfetex}

I am supposed to be able to process this and other files with a
command which is pdfetex.

The syntax of that command is "pdfetex \&cont-en filename".

But when I run that I get back a error message which says
a file named cont-en \index{cont-en} can not be found.

Another syntax of that command is "pdfetex \&cont-en --progname=context
filename".

\starttyping
pdfetex &cont-en \
   --progname=context filename
\stoptyping

[Incidentally the \type{&} did not work above. But it works here.?]

But when I run that I get back a error message which says
a file named cont-sys.tex \index{cont-sys.tex} can not be found.

\subsection{fonts}\index{fonts}

I seem to be missing fonts. At least I tried to compile
Berend de Boer's ``LaTeX in proper ConTeXt'' and I got lines line
which said
\starttyping
! Font \*12ptrmtf*=utmr8t at 12.0pt not loadable: \
Metric (TFM) file not found.
\stoptyping
and finally ended with
\starttyping
Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 916 strings out of 24758
 13656 string characters out of 284114
 383767 words of memory out of 1100001
 29422 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+25000
 9049 words of font info for 28 fonts, out of 400000 for 1000
 22 hyphenation exceptions out of 1000
 44i,1n,51p,254b,53s stack positions out of 1500i,500n,1500p,50000b,5000s
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file not finished!
\stoptyping

\chapter{context.el}\index{emacs}

I put in place the emacs mode file, context.el.

These are some problems and disappointments:

% \startitemize[R,packed,broad]
\startitemize
\item The biggest disappointment is that it is not compatable with auc-tex.
\item Also a disappointment is that it does not help in finding the location
of any error.
\item There are menu commands the comments mention I can not find.
\item I find no way to compile and view without clobbering my ability
  to use LaTeX with AucTeX.
\item I commented out the load of it in my .emacs for the time being
  as I still work daily with LaTeX and AucTeX.
\stopitemize

\chapter[lastchapter]{What is Next}

To see how much I can learn about ConTeXt, especially the feature
which made me most interested, but perhaps least documented, the
ability to make flow charts.

\completeindex
\stoptext

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: context
%%% LaTeX-command-style: (("." "pdflatex"))
%%% TeX-view-style: (("." "acroread %s.pdf"))
%%% End: