From: Bill McClain <wmcclain@salamander.com>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Small-Caps and Old-Style numbers
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:51:06 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:27:28 -0400 (EDT)
"Bruce D'Arcus" <darcusb@muohio.edu> wrote:

> Hmm...so no smallcap italics?  And if I have a font that also has
> light sc and medium sc, I need three separate typescripts just to
> access those fonts?

I think that is the case (although I've been wrong before). I'm not sure
how more than two weights (\bf and \rm) could be handled anyway. Is
there anything in the tex world equivalent to \light, \medium and
\heavy?

Multiple typescripts can be created in the same file and can share the
same set of font synonyms, so managing them is not that difficult. A
typescript is just a "view" of your font files. You can make up your own
\light etc macros to do the switching, but I don't see any convenient
way of having {\em \sc \light \os This is goofy 99} work out
automatically. You'd have to explicitly switch to
MyItalticSmallcapsLightOldStyle font.

I think Hans once said that all of this is typographically offensive. In
defense I would say that when composing titles, book covers, and display
art all sorts of things are useful which would not be used in body text.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame