* Re: Small-Caps and Old-Style numbers
@ 2002-09-19 19:27 Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-09-19 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: context

Bill McClain wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:21:05 +0200
>Peter Sojan <ilikeunix@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> 1. Bold-Caps, how do I access them? Is something like
>>    "SerifBoldCaps" allowed?
>
>I don't think so (perhaps Hans will correct me?) I would define a new
>typescript such as "MyGaramondBold" where the [SerifCaps] synonym
>references the bold small caps font. You'll have to \switchtobodyfont to
>use that font.

Hmm...so no smallcap italics?  And if I have a font that also has light
sc and medium sc, I need three separate typescripts just to access
those fonts?

Bruce

* Re: Small-Caps and Old-Style numbers
@ 2002-09-19 19:51 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-09-19 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:27:28 -0400 (EDT)
"Bruce D'Arcus" <darcusb@muohio.edu> wrote:

> Hmm...so no smallcap italics?  And if I have a font that also has
> light sc and medium sc, I need three separate typescripts just to
> access those fonts?

I think that is the case (although I've been wrong before). I'm not sure
how more than two weights (\bf and \rm) could be handled anyway. Is
there anything in the tex world equivalent to \light, \medium and
\heavy?

Multiple typescripts can be created in the same file and can share the
same set of font synonyms, so managing them is not that difficult. A
typescript is just a "view" of your font files. You can make up your own
\light etc macros to do the switching, but I don't see any convenient
way of having {\em \sc \light \os This is goofy 99} work out
automatically. You'd have to explicitly switch to
MyItalticSmallcapsLightOldStyle font.

I think Hans once said that all of this is typographically offensive. In
defense I would say that when composing titles, book covers, and display
art all sorts of things are useful which would not be used in body text.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame

* Re: Small-Caps and Old-Style numbers
@ 2002-09-19 22:16   ` Peter Sojan
From: Peter Sojan @ 2002-09-19 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 07:08:52AM -0500, Bill McClain wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:21:05 +0200
> Peter Sojan <ilikeunix@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > 1. Bold-Caps, how do I access them? Is something like
> >    "SerifBoldCaps" allowed?
>
> I don't think so (perhaps Hans will correct me?) I would define a new
> typescript such as "MyGaramondBold" where the [SerifCaps] synonym
> references the bold small caps font. You'll have to \switchtobodyfont to
> use that font.

Ok, I've done that. Maybe "SerifBoldCaps" are a legitimate extension for
Context (I've never seen italic Caps though, so we could leave that out)

> This works:
>
>     \definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [xxx]

Hmm, I'll mimic the Latex way and make fontswitches. After all the
style of numbers shouldn't change in a document often from a
typographic point of view.

Thank you,
Peter

* Re: Small-Caps and Old-Style numbers
@ 2002-09-19 12:08 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-09-19 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:21:05 +0200
Peter Sojan <ilikeunix@gmx.net> wrote:

> 1. Bold-Caps, how do I access them? Is something like
>    "SerifBoldCaps" allowed?

I don't think so (perhaps Hans will correct me?) I would define a new
typescript such as "MyGaramondBold" where the [SerifCaps] synonym
references the bold small caps font. You'll have to \switchtobodyfont to
use that font.

> 2. How should I integrate Old-Style numbers, so that a switch with
>    \os works? Under Latex the solution from the packager was to
>    reimplement all fonts with a different filename. That is
>    instead of padr9e, padr9d would be used for Garamond-Roman with
>    Old-Style numbers. Obviously this (virtual) font maps-in old
>    style number-glyphs from the adobe extension font and keeps
>    everything else as is.

This works:

    \definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [xxx]

Where "xxx" is a reference to the font file with the old-style figures.
What is lacking, I think, is [OldStyleBold] and [OldStyleItalic]. So you
can't usefully combine \os with \it or \bf. (Am I wrong about that?)

>    One solution would be to setup another typescript with old-style
>    fonts and switch to it everytime directly by \usetypescript and
>    \switchtobodyfont.

That's what I've done when I've wanted an old-style roman, italic and
bold by default. If you just need roman, you can define [OldStyle] as
above.

-Bill
--

@ 2002-09-19 11:21 Peter Sojan
From: Peter Sojan @ 2002-09-19 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I took my Adobe Garamond font package from LaTeX (with all the
virtual fonts defined etc.) and adapted it to work with Context
(by inspecting the LaTeX .fd files):

\usetypescriptfile[type-buy]

\starttypescript [serif] [garamond] [ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Garamond-Roman]       [padr9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Garamond-Bold]        [padb9e]  [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Garamond-Italic]      [padri9e] [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Garamond-Bold-Italic] [padbi9e] [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Garamond-Caps]        [padrc9e] [encoding=ec]
  \definefontsynonym [Garamond-Bold-Caps]   [padbc9e] [encoding=ec]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [garamond] [name]
  \usetypescript[serif][fallback]
  \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Garamond-Roman]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Garamond-Bold]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Garamond-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Garamond-Bold-Italic]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]       [Garamond-Caps]
  \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldCaps]   [Garamond-Bold-Caps]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Garamond]
  \definetypeface [MyGaramond] [rm] [serif] [garamond] [default] [encoding=ec]
\stoptypescript

Everything works fine! Two questions left:

1. Bold-Caps, how do I access them? Is something like
   "SerifBoldCaps" allowed?

2. How should I integrate Old-Style numbers, so that a switch with
   \os works? Under Latex the solution from the packager was to
   reimplement all fonts with a different filename. That is
   instead of padr9e, padr9d would be used for Garamond-Roman with
   Old-Style numbers. Obviously this (virtual) font maps-in old
   style number-glyphs from the adobe extension font and keeps
   everything else as is.

   One solution would be to setup another typescript with old-style
   fonts and switch to it everytime directly by \usetypescript and
   \switchtobodyfont. But using "\os" would just be nicer.

Thx,
Peter