* Emdedding Acrobat Reader fonts
@ 2002-09-19 10:11 peter.rolf
From: peter.rolf @ 2002-09-19 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

My tries to embed the Adobe Helvetica (ArialMT) font into my PDF
docs failed. What went wrong?

I copied the _a*_.pfb files to (local-)texmf/font/type1/adobe/helvetic
and renamed them to phv??8a.pfb. The *.tfm,*.vf and *.afm files
from texmf/???/adobe/helvetic/ (the only one i found) were also
copied to the local font tree.
After studdiing the *.tfm names and ec-adobe-utopia.map I wrote the
following map file...

ec-adobe-helvetic.map:
	ec-raw-phvb Arial-BoldMT 4 < phvb8a.pfb ec.enc
	ec-raw-phvbo Arial-BoldItalicMT 4 < phvbo8a.pfb ec.enc
	ec-raw-phvr ArialMT 4 < phvr8a.pfb ec.enc
	ec-raw-phvro Arial-ItalicMT 4 < phvro8a.pfb ec.enc

\setupbodyfont[phv,12pt]
\loadmapfile[ec-adobe-helvetic.map]
\definefontsynonym[Helvetica][phvr][encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym[Helvetica-Bold][phvb][encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym[Helvetica-BoldOblique][phvbo][encoding=ec]
\definefontsynonym[Helvetica-Oblique][phvro][encoding=ec]
\setupbodyfont[ss]

The resulting PDF uses the ArialMT font family but the fonts are
not embedded. Any help is welcome...
Kaufen Sie sich Ihren Kandidaten! Nur 49 Cent!
Vom 20. bis 22. September:
http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/email.kandidat

* Re: Emdedding Acrobat Reader fonts
@ 2002-09-19 11:24 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-09-19 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:11:41 +0200 (CEST)
peter.rolf@arcor.de wrote:

> ec-adobe-helvetic.map:
> 	ec-raw-phvb Arial-BoldMT 4 < phvb8a.pfb ec.enc
> 	ec-raw-phvbo Arial-BoldItalicMT 4 < phvbo8a.pfb ec.enc
> 	ec-raw-phvr ArialMT 4 < phvr8a.pfb ec.enc
> 	ec-raw-phvro Arial-ItalicMT 4 < phvro8a.pfb ec.enc

> \setupbodyfont[phv,12pt]
> \loadmapfile[ec-adobe-helvetic.map]
> \definefontsynonym[Helvetica][phvr][encoding=ec]
> \definefontsynonym[Helvetica-Bold][phvb][encoding=ec]
> \definefontsynonym[Helvetica-BoldOblique][phvbo][encoding=ec]
> \definefontsynonym[Helvetica-Oblique][phvro][encoding=ec]
> \setupbodyfont[ss]

(1) The first field in this line:

    ec-raw-phvb Arial-BoldMT 4 < phvb8a.pfb ec.enc

and the second parameter in this line:

    \definefontsynonym[Helvetica][phvr][encoding=ec]

must be the same. That is, both should be either "ec-raw-phvb" or
"phvr". Same for the three other font files.

(2) Remember: \loadmapfile will not work unless the
\autoloadmapfilestrue line is uncommented in cont-sys.tex.

(3) Remember: after moving files or creating new ones you have to run
texhash (= mktexlsr).

(4) Suggestion: you might put the .afm and .pfb files of interest into a
temporary directory and run texfont on them, just as if you were
installing a new commercial font. It will create the .tfm and .vf files
in the proper location, a .map file, and a test .tex job.

In my experimenting, I have found it an error to reference the raw files
directly. The fonts mostly work but are missing important features. It
is better to use the virtual fonts that texfont creates.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame

* Re: Emdedding Acrobat Reader fonts
@ 2002-09-20  9:37 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-09-20  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

peter.rolf@arcor.de wrote:

> My tries to embed the Adobe Helvetica (ArialMT) font into my PDF
> docs failed.

ArialMT is not Adobe Helvetica! It is Arial from Monotype (MT); see
http://www.ms-studio.com/articles.html
http://www.ms-studio.com/articlesarialsid.html

Why don't you use the URW alternatives on your system?

Jens

* Re: Emdedding Acrobat Reader fonts (CORRECTION)
@ 2002-09-23 12:01   ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-09-23 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 06:24:50 -0500
Bill McClain <wmcclain@salamander.com> wrote:

> (1) The first field in this line:
>
>     ec-raw-phvb Arial-BoldMT 4 < phvb8a.pfb ec.enc
>
> and the second parameter in this line:
>
>     \definefontsynonym[Helvetica][phvr][encoding=ec]
>
> must be the same. That is, both should be either "ec-raw-phvb" or
> "phvr". Same for the three other font files.

I wrote the above last week and I now think it is wrong. It is a mistake
I have made before: confusing the context front-end with the pdftex
backend.

In the above, "phvr" does NOT refer to an entry in a map file, but
rather to a .tfm file which is located by tex magic. The .tfm file
contains an internal identifier (viewable with tftopl) which will be
"ec-raw-phvb" and this is what pdftex uses to locate the actual .pfb
font files for embedding.

What I meant to say was that "ec-raw-phvb" ALSO has a .tfm file, so that
it is possible to specify it in the \definefontsynonym declaration, but
that would be an error. It "sort of works" but you lose some
functionality and see strange behavior.

The reason: phvr.tfm most likely refers to a virtual font file (.vf)
which adds tex magic that we need. Specifying the raw .tfm bypasses the
virtual font.

-Bill