* Installing with texfonts.pl
@ 2002-09-21 18:44 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-09-21 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

 am trying to install a variation of Palatino under anther name.
 I copied and renamed the pfa and pfb files. When I pull the renamed
 file up in pfaedit it says that the encoding is Standard Adobe.
 Which is what in tex-talk, default, ec, or a player to named later?

 John Culleton

* Re: Installing with texfonts.pl
@ 2002-09-21 20:44 ` Bill McClain
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-09-21 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:44:37 -0400
John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

>  am trying to install a variation of Palatino under anther name.
>  I copied and renamed the pfa and pfb files. When I pull the renamed
>  file up in pfaedit it says that the encoding is Standard Adobe.
>  Which is what in tex-talk, default, ec, or a player to named later?

Looking at the *.enc files, 8a.enc claims to be Adobe Standard Encoding,
but several others including the defaul texnansi.enc are close.

When using texfont I'm not sure it matters. You new versions will be
reencoded to whatever spec you want.

I say this one who maintains the right to be ignorant of encodings. I've
used the default texnansi for my font installs are all has worked well.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Tales of War
http://sattre-press.com/                       by Lord Dunsany

* Re: Installing with texfonts.pl
@ 2002-09-22 13:59   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-09-22 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Saturday 21 September 2002 04:44 pm, Bill McClain wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:44:37 -0400
>
> John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> >  am trying to install a variation of Palatino under anther name.
> >  I copied and renamed the pfa and pfb files. When I pull the
> > renamed file up in pfaedit it says that the encoding is Standard
> > Adobe. Which is what in tex-talk, default, ec, or a player to
> > named later?
>
> Looking at the *.enc files, 8a.enc claims to be Adobe Standard
> Encoding, but several others including the defaul texnansi.enc are
> close.
>
> When using texfont I'm not sure it matters. You new versions will
> be reencoded to whatever spec you want.
>
> I say this one who maintains the right to be ignorant of encodings.
> I've used the default texnansi for my font installs are all has
> worked well.
>
> -Bill
Another test:

I copied the pfm and pfb files for urw palatino to my home directory
and
renamed them uculr8a.pfm and uculr8a.pfb.  I then ran the following
script:

texfont.pl  --fontroot=/usr/TeX/texmf \
--vendor=urw \
--collection=ucul \
--sourcepath=/home/safer \
--install --makepath --show

It ran to completion with error messages. The resultant test pdf had
errors when loading into Acrobat Reader.

Here is an interesting comment from the log file:

Warning: pdfetex (file /usr/TeX/texmf-var/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg):
invalid pa
rameter name in config file: `test.map'

It is interesting because I don't have a file called test.map and
neither of my psfonts.map files refer to test.map.

I don't have a pdftex.map file on my current texmf distro.

I created an empty test.map file and this time I got more output. The
system still couldn't find the file. Here is the message from the log
file:
/
Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi-raw-cul): Font texnansi-raw-cul at 600
not foun

-------------------------------
There were a huge number of messages in the log file about missing
glyphs.
The resulting pdf file could be read by xpdf but Acrobat Reader found
error messages and would not display it properly.

For this particular test I did not attempt to edit the font file to
change its name internally. I use pfaedit for a font file editor.
Previous runs with the name change to ucul did not
succeed either.
location and tried to install it with texfonts.pl and it would not
install. Where did I go wrong?

@ 2002-09-22 20:25   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-09-22 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: John Culleton, ntg-context

At 03:44 PM 9/21/2002 -0500, Bill McClain wrote:
>On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:44:37 -0400
>John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>
> >  am trying to install a variation of Palatino under anther name.
> >  I copied and renamed the pfa and pfb files. When I pull the renamed
> >  file up in pfaedit it says that the encoding is Standard Adobe.
> >  Which is what in tex-talk, default, ec, or a player to named later?
>
>Looking at the *.enc files, 8a.enc claims to be Adobe Standard Encoding,
>but several others including the defaul texnansi.enc are close.
>
>When using texfont I'm not sure it matters. You new versions will be
>reencoded to whatever spec you want.
>
>I say this one who maintains the right to be ignorant of encodings. I've
>used the default texnansi for my font installs are all has worked well.

indeed texnansi is the best choice, esp since ec has chars that are not
present in each font like \c{e} and alike,

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Installing with texfonts.pl
@ 2002-09-23 12:03     ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-09-23 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 09:59:01 -0400
John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> I copied the pfm and pfb files for urw palatino to my home directory
> and
> renamed them uculr8a.pfm and uculr8a.pfb.  I then ran the following
> script:
>
> texfont.pl  --fontroot=/usr/TeX/texmf \
> --vendor=urw \
> --collection=ucul \
> --sourcepath=/home/safer \
> --install --makepath --show
>
> It ran to completion with error messages. The resultant test pdf had
> errors when loading into Acrobat Reader.

Taking this a step at a time:

(1) I have the URW palatino font files also. I ran texfont on them and
it worked without errors. The sample tex file produces a good pdf. I've
included the log below.

(2) I tried it again after renaming the font files. Still ok. The file
names don't seem to matter: the internal names are the same.

If you send me the log of your texfont output I'll look at it. First
thing: Do you have permission to write to /usr/TeX/texmf? I install into
a private tex tree under my home account so that I don't need to be
superuser when running texfont.

My log:

* * *

rm /tmp/fonts/*
cp /usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/urw/palatino/* /tmp/fonts
cp /usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/urw/palatino/* /tmp/fonts
ll /tmp/fonts

total 352
-rw-r--r--    1 wmcclain users       31819 Sep 22 11:54 uplb8a.afm
-rw-r--r--    1 wmcclain users       52406 Sep 22 11:54 uplb8a.pfb
-rw-r--r--    1 wmcclain users       31528 Sep 22 11:54 uplbi8a.afm
-rw-r--r--    1 wmcclain users       51285 Sep 22 11:54 uplbi8a.pfb
-rw-r--r--    1 wmcclain users       32062 Sep 22 11:54 uplr8a.afm
-rw-r--r--    1 wmcclain users       52665 Sep 22 11:54 uplr8a.pfb
-rw-r--r--    1 wmcclain users       31978 Sep 22 11:54 uplri8a.afm
-rw-r--r--    1 wmcclain users       50022 Sep 22 11:54 uplri8a.pfb

texfont.pl \
--fontroot=/home/wmcclain/texmf \
--sourcepath=/tmp/fonts \
--vendor=urw \
--collection=palatino \
--makepath \
--install

 TeXFont 1.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2001 (STILL BETA)

       encoding vector : texnansi
           vendor name : urw
           source path : /tmp/fonts
       font collection : palatino
       texmf font root : /home/wmcclain/texmf
       pdftex map file : texnansi-urw-palatino.map
           source path : /tmp/fonts
      processing files : all on afm path
         copying files : afm
               copying : uplb8a.afm
               copying : uplbi8a.afm
               copying : uplr8a.afm
               copying : uplri8a.afm
         copying files : pfb
               copying : uplb8a.pfb
               copying : uplbi8a.pfb
               copying : uplr8a.pfb
               copying : uplri8a.pfb
        no map file at :
/home/wmcclain/texmf/pdftex/config/texnansi-urw-palatino.map

       font identifier : URWPalladioL-Bold -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : texnansi-raw-uplb8a (from uplb8a)
     generating new vf : texnansi-uplb8a (from texnansi-raw-uplb8a)

       font identifier : URWPalladioL-BoldItal -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : texnansi-raw-uplbi8a (from uplbi8a)
     generating new vf : texnansi-uplbi8a (from texnansi-raw-uplbi8a)

       font identifier : URWPalladioL-Roma -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : texnansi-raw-uplr8a (from uplr8a)
     generating new vf : texnansi-uplr8a (from texnansi-raw-uplr8a)

       font identifier : URWPalladioL-Ital -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : texnansi-raw-uplri8a (from uplri8a)
     generating new vf : texnansi-uplri8a (from texnansi-raw-uplri8a)
     updating map file : texnansi-urw-palatino.map

            generating : ls-r databases

mktexlsr: Updating /home/wmcclain/texmf/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.wmcclain@atipa:~/projects/experiments/palatino >
texfont.pl --fontroot=/home/wmcclain/texmf --sourcepath=/tmp/fonts
--vendor=testing --collection=palatino --makepath --install

* * *

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame

* Re: Installing with texfonts.pl
@ 2002-09-23 14:37     ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-09-23 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Sunday 22 September 2002 04:25 pm, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 03:44 PM 9/21/2002 -0500, Bill McClain wrote:
> >On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:44:37 -0400
> >
> >John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> > >  am trying to install a variation of Palatino under anther
> > > name. I copied and renamed the pfa and pfb files. When I pull
> > > the renamed file up in pfaedit it says that the encoding is
> > > Standard Adobe. Which is what in tex-talk, default, ec, or a
> > > player to named later?
> >
> >Looking at the *.enc files, 8a.enc claims to be Adobe Standard
> > Encoding, but several others including the defaul texnansi.enc
> > are close.
> >
> >When using texfont I'm not sure it matters. You new versions will
> > be reencoded to whatever spec you want.
> >
> >I say this one who maintains the right to be ignorant of
> > encodings. I've used the default texnansi for my font installs
> > are all has worked well.
>
> indeed texnansi is the best choice, esp since ec has chars that are
> not present in each font like \c{e} and alike,
>
> Hans

I take the default encoding and the process proceeds more or less
normally. But the results are faulty. If I use the --show parameter I
get about 13,000 lines of error messages! The key message is possibly
the one that says

Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi-raw-cul): Font texnansi-raw-cul at 600
not foun
d.

I tried to run texfonts.pl against Avantgar as is where is. I got an
error message "no afm  files found." Well, this particular font uses
pfm files not afm. The pfm files are in the same directory as the pfb
files. So I am confused.

@ 2002-09-23 21:19   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-09-23 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Saturday 21 September 2002 04:44 pm, Bill McClain wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:44:37 -0400
>
> John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> >  am trying to install a variation of Palatino under anther name.
> >  I copied and renamed the pfa and pfb files. When I pull the
> > renamed file up in pfaedit it says that the encoding is Standard
> > Adobe. Which is what in tex-talk, default, ec, or a player to named
> > later?
>
> Looking at the *.enc files, 8a.enc claims to be Adobe Standard
> Encoding, but several others including the defaul texnansi.enc are
> close.
>
> When using texfont I'm not sure it matters. You new versions will be
> reencoded to whatever spec you want.
>
> I say this one who maintains the right to be ignorant of encodings.
> I've used the default texnansi for my font installs are all has
> worked well.
>
> -Bill

I reinstalled my entire texmf from the TeXlive cdrom just in case I
had messed up something along the way. Then I tried my runn command
again. If I don't try to use the --show option I get no errors. If I
use the --show option I get a file  of 13k error messages.

Any suggestions from anyone? All I want to do is have a few glyphs of
my own design available.

@ 2002-09-24  6:36     ` Peter Sojan
From: Peter Sojan @ 2002-09-24  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 10:25:27PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> indeed texnansi is the best choice, esp since ec has chars that are not
> present in each font like \c{e} and alike,

I always wondered about your naming of encodings. Obviously, what you mean
with "ec" is what I call "T1" (aka "Cork encoding"). IIRC "ec" stands for
"European Computer Modern" and refers to the new standard TeX-Computer-Modern
*font* which implements the T1 encoding. Please correct me if I'm wrong ...

Thx,
Peter

* Re: Installing with texfonts.pl
@ 2002-09-27  9:06       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-09-27  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:36 AM 9/24/2002 +0200, Peter Sojan wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 10:25:27PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >
> > indeed texnansi is the best choice, esp since ec has chars that are not
> > present in each font like \c{e} and alike,
> >

>I always wondered about your naming of encodings. Obviously, what you mean
>with "ec" is what I call "T1" (aka "Cork encoding"). IIRC "ec" stands for
>"European Computer Modern" and refers to the new standard TeX-Computer-Modern
>*font* which implements the T1 encoding. Please correct me if I'm wrong ...

you're probably right, but i knew of ec before i ran into t1