* Encoding problems and degree sign
@ 2002-09-27  7:32 mari.voipio
From: mari.voipio @ 2002-09-27  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is probably almost FAQ stuff, but my skills aren't enough to solve
the problem.

My system is WindowsNT+TeXLive [May/June version] (+WinEdt/NTEmacs), the
type-enc file I stole from a newer ConTeXt as the TeXLive version had
typos and other problems.

My document uses the standard postscript fonts and this far I've been
happy with them, but yesterday I found out that the degree sign doesn't
work. From the pictures in "TeXfont Explained" I derived that the "degree
slot" (176) is occupied by something else in ec. The original text is
Windows cut-n-paste stuff (from a Word document), if that makes any
difference. Both editors show the degree sign as a degree sign.

So I tried to use texnansi encoding instead. I installed the fonts with
type-tmf.bat and my original test document came out fine with all the
diacritics and everything. I did everything the same way than with the ec
encoded fonts that work. But when I switched my big document into
texnansi, it gets so bad problems with some font sizes/types/weights that
the resulting pdf document cannot be opened at all (error messages pasted
in the end of this document).

I can think of three ways to get out of this, but I cannot figure out how
to realize any of them:

1) Instead of writing the small ring in the text, use a code for it, like
in html I would use ° or &#deg; - I tried with \Degree and \degree,
but either that's not the right code or I just can't use it right.

2) I'm not using the whatever occupies the slot 176 in the standard ec, so
I could just replace that with the degree sign. But from the explanations
in the various manuals and in the mailing list archives I understand that
this might not a) be a good idea and b) be possible.

3) Find out where the font problem is and fix it. I'd understand it if the
ec encoding didn't work either, but why does the ec installation work
while similar texnansi installation is somewhat dysfunctional? All the
necessary files are available and the *-raw-* files seem to be the same,
but what's wrong? Something is probably missing somewhere (type-tmf.bat?),
but what and where?

The document I'm working on needs to be finished in not-so-distant future
so I do not have much time for fighting with the fonts any more. Thus I
could do with a quick-but-not-so-elegant fix ASAP and then fix the
texnansi problems fully later, if you have any ideas of where to look.

Thank you for your help,
		Mari Voipio

All warnings I get when I try to compile my file (headings sans-serif,
various sizes and weights, text serif, at least two non-default sizes and
two font weights) with texnansi encoding:
--
Warning: pdfetex.exe (file texnansi-raw-utmri8a): Font texnansi-raw-utmri8a
at 600 not found
Warning: pdfetex.exe (file texnansi-raw-uhvr8a): Font texnansi-raw-uhvr8a
at 360 not found

* Re: Encoding problems and degree sign
@ 2002-09-27  9:54 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-09-27  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:32:18 +0300 (EET DST)
<mari.voipio@iki.fi> wrote:

> This is probably almost FAQ stuff, but my skills aren't enough to solve
> the problem.
>
> My system is WindowsNT+TeXLive [May/June version] (+WinEdt/NTEmacs), the
> type-enc file I stole from a newer ConTeXt as the TeXLive version had
> typos and other problems.
>
> My document uses the standard postscript fonts and this far I've been
> happy with them, but yesterday I found out that the degree sign doesn't
> work.

Have you enabled the correct input-encoding aka regime?
The following code works here:
% output=pdftex
\enableregime[il1] % iso-latin1 here on my Linux box
                   % you should try 'win' instead of 'il1'
\setupbodyfont[aer] % ec-encoded CM-Fonts

\starttext
Water boils at 100°C.
\stoptext

also with URW standard Type1-fonts:

% output=pdftex
\enableregime[il1]
\usetypescript[berry][ec]
\setupbodyfont[pos,10pt]

\starttext
Water boils at 100°C.
\stoptext

Jens

* Re: Encoding problems and degree sign
@ 2002-09-27 11:48   ` mari.voipio
From: mari.voipio @ 2002-09-27 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
> Have you enabled the correct input-encoding aka regime?

No. The command \enableregime was mentioned once somewhere, but there were
no instructions or examples on how to use it [it is not listed in any of
the indeces of the manuals), so I didn't realize it was kind of obligatory
in a file like mine.

> \enableregime[il1] % iso-latin1 here on my Linux box
>                    % you should try 'win' instead of 'il1'

\enableregime[win] did *not* work (gave same result than no regime at
all), but \enableregime[il1] gave the wanted result.

> % output=pdftex
> \enableregime[il1]
> \usetypescript[berry][ec]
> \setupbodyfont[pos,10pt]
>
> \starttext
> Water boils at 100°C.
> \stoptext

Thank you so much for this example: this did it, I tested with this bit
and it works (and at the same time I managed to clear some extra crud from
my code).

Mari Voipio

* Re: Encoding problems and degree sign
@ 2002-09-27 15:12     ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-09-27 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:48:17 +0300 (EET DST)
<mari.voipio@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
> > Have you enabled the correct input-encoding aka regime?
>
> No. The command \enableregime was mentioned once somewhere, but there were
> no instructions or examples on how to use it [it is not listed in any of
> the indeces of the manuals), so I didn't realize it was kind of obligatory
> in a file like mine.

using regimes is obligatory if your input does not match the
encoding of the fonts.
texnansi font-enccoding matches the western-european input-encoding
on Windows, but if you use ec (aka T1 aka Cork) encoded fonts
you have to use regimes.

> > \enableregime[il1] % iso-latin1 here on my Linux box
> >                    % you should try 'win' instead of 'il1'
>
> \enableregime[win] did *not* work (gave same result than no regime at
> all), but \enableregime[il1] gave the wanted result.

Uuups, sorry. The file is called regi-win.tex but the declared regime
name is 'windows'. Thus please try \enableregime[windows].

Jens