* beginner's questions
@ 2002-09-27 21:14 Michael Na Li
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Michael Na Li @ 2002-09-27 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've used LaTeX for several years but am new to ConTeXt.  Here are a couple
questions I had:

1.  With m-bib module, how can I achieve \nocite{} (no citation but have the
    reference listed in the end) as in LaTeX?

2.  Is there a command similar to \section*{} effect (no numbering of the
    section)?

Michael

* Re: beginner's questions
@ 2002-09-28  9:07 ` Michael Na Li
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Na Li @ 2002-09-28  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael> 2.  Is there a command similar to \section*{} effect (no numbering of
Michael>     the section)?

Found the answer myself :).  Either use \subject or
\setuphead[section][number=no].

New questions pop up, though.  The following example doesn't work because of
the "textstyle" option (gives some cryptic error messages).  After textstyle
is removed, it does compile but the section title is not aligned to the right.
Is it because my ConTeXt (ConTeXt  ver: 2002.1.28  fmt: 2002.7.15  int:
english  mes: english) is older than the manual (the English version, just
downloaded a couple of days ago)?

===============================

\setuphead
    [section]
    [align=right,
     textstyle=cap]

\starttext

\section{a test}

Some test text.

\stoptext

================================

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Na Li
Email: lina@u.washington.edu
Department of Biostatistics, Box 357232
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195

* Re: beginner's questions
@ 2002-09-28  9:35 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-09-28  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Na Li <lina@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> I've used LaTeX for several years but am new to ConTeXt.  Here are a couple
> questions I had:
>
> 1.  With m-bib module, how can I achieve \nocite{} (no citation but have the
>     reference listed in the end) as in LaTeX?

sorry, i don't know. You could limit your bib-entries to the entries
needed. Then you can set \setuppublications[criterium=all].

> 2.  Is there a command similar to \section*{} effect (no numbering of the
>     section)?

\subject

Jens

* Re: beginner's questions
@ 2002-09-29  6:38   ` Michael Na Li
From: Michael Na Li @ 2002-09-29  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens-Uwe> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:14:05 -0700
Jens-Uwe> Michael Na Li <lina@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>> I've used LaTeX for several years but am new to ConTeXt.  Here are a couple
>> questions I had:
>>
>> 1.  With m-bib module, how can I achieve \nocite{} (no citation but have the
>> reference listed in the end) as in LaTeX?

Jens-Uwe> sorry, i don't know. You could limit your bib-entries to the entries
Jens-Uwe> needed. Then you can set \setuppublications[criterium=all].

I use \setupbibtex[] (which is great since many people will probably need hang
on to their bib files) to use external bib files.  It is a lot of trouble
having to modify those bib files.

Michael

* Re: beginner's questions
@ 2002-09-29 16:35 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-09-29 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Freitag, 27. September 2002 23:14 schrieb Michael Na Li:
> 2.  Is there a command similar to \section*{} effect (no numbering of the
>     section)?

Look at "ms-cb-en.pdf" or the manual!
ConTeXt has different sets for numbered and unnumbered headers:
\chapter		\title
\section		\subject
\subsection	\subsubject
...			...
The unnumbered (right) doesn't show up in tocs etc.
If you need headers without numbering that show up in tocs, you need to setup
them with e.g.
\setuphead		[chapter]
			[number=no, % no numbering
			page=yes,	% new page at chapter
			style={\ss\bfd},	% sans serif bold
			align=right,	% left aligned(!), right means "raggedright"
			color=red]

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://www.ramm.ch/context/

* Re: beginner's questions
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-09-30  8:11 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-09-30  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

For 1., you need something like this:

\def\nocite#1{\setbox0\hbox{\cite[#1]}}

--
groeten,

Taco

* m-bib features (was: Re: beginner's questions)
@ 2002-09-30  9:52   ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-09-30  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:11:48 +0200
Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> For 1., you need something like this:
>
> \def\nocite#1{\setbox0\hbox{\cite[#1]}}

Ooh no, sometimes it could be sooo easy! :)

Taco, AFAiK, you have ask some time ago for features of your
new bib-module. Two things i'm still missing is support for
interactive documents:
1: \cite creates a link to bib-entry
2: in the bibliography after each entry there is a list
   of pages where this entry is referenced (in a interactive
   document these page numbers are links too)

Is it possible to implement these features?

Thanks in advance.

Jens

* Re: m-bib features (was: Re: beginner's questions)
@ 2002-09-30 14:40     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-09-30 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

On Monday, September 30, 2002, at 05:52 AM, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:

> Taco, AFAiK, you have ask some time ago for features of your
> new bib-module. Two things i'm still missing is support for
> interactive documents:
> 1: \cite creates a link to bib-entry
> 2: in the bibliography after each entry there is a list
>    of pages where this entry is referenced (in a interactive
>    document these page numbers are links too)

I agree links (back-and-forth) would be good (as it would be with
endnotes, come to think of it, and for footnotes, though less so).
I've never seen an example of #2, but it seems to intrude into the area
of indexing...

Bruce

* Re: m-bib features (was: Re: beginner's questions)
@ 2002-09-30 20:09       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-09-30 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:40 AM 9/30/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>On Monday, September 30, 2002, at 05:52 AM, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
>
>>Taco, AFAiK, you have ask some time ago for features of your
>>new bib-module. Two things i'm still missing is support for
>>interactive documents:
>>1: \cite creates a link to bib-entry
>>2: in the bibliography after each entry there is a list
>>    of pages where this entry is referenced (in a interactive
>>    document these page numbers are links too)
>
>I agree links (back-and-forth) would be good (as it would be with
>endnotes, come to think of it, and for footnotes, though less so).
>I've never seen an example of #2, but it seems to intrude into the area of
>indexing...

i can have a look at the links as soon as the new version of m-bib is out

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: m-bib features (was: Re: beginner's questions)
@ 2002-10-01 20:32     ` Michael Na Li
From: Michael Na Li @ 2002-10-01 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens-Uwe> Taco, AFAiK, you have ask some time ago for features of your
Jens-Uwe> new bib-module. Two things i'm still missing is support for
Jens-Uwe> interactive documents:
Jens-Uwe> 1: \cite creates a link to bib-entry
Jens-Uwe> 2: in the bibliography after each entry there is a list
Jens-Uwe>    of pages where this entry is referenced (in a interactive
Jens-Uwe>    document these page numbers are links too)

As long as we are requesting features.

Since nowadays many articles are available online, in fact, some of them are
online only (e.g. many conference proceedings), it would be nice to have the
bib entry linked to its online version.  It is probably very easy to implement
for m-bib publications but would be nice to work with the url or pdf bib-items
in a bib file too.

Michael

* Re: m-bib features (was: Re: beginner's questions)
@ 2002-10-02  7:31       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-10-02  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Just a quick reply to let you all know I *am* collecting these requests

--
groeten,

Taco