From: Jens-Uwe Morawski <morawski@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] Another font question...
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:09:47 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:07:34 +0300 (EET DST)
<mari.voipio@iki.fi> wrote:

> However, the annoying part is that when I try to run my "real" file, which
> works perfectly on my work computer (TeXLive+WinNT), both my home
> computers complain
>
> Warning: pdfetex.exe (file ec-raw-uhvro8a): Font ec-raw-uhvro8a at 600 not
> found

pdftex gives this message if it does not find an appropriate entry in its
map-file (usually pdftex.map).

If you use own fonts (or some installed by texfont) then you have to
 make the map-entries known to pdftex. In ConTeXt you can use
 \loadmapfile

One thing i do not understand is this crazy font-name. The 8a normally
means AdobeStandardEncoding. Thus this font is neither raw-encoded nor
ec-encoded, since ec is 8t and raw is 8r. So, what encoding is really
used for this font?

> a) What is wrong? Something with Helvetica, but what and why? As some of
> the helvetic .afm files were gzipped, I had to run separate texfont
> installation and that seems to have worked fine, at least as far as I
> understand from the log:

Why do you want install those fonts if they are already available on
your system?
The Base14 fonts [Times (rm), Helvetica (ss), Courier (tt)] should be
directly available using:

\usetypescript[berry][ec]
\setupbodyfont[pos]

If you need a different font setup, then have a look in type-syn.tex.
For example the body font using [Palatino (rm), Helvetica (ss), Computer-Modern (tt)]
you can get with:
\usetypescript[berry][ec]
\definetypeface[BodyFont][rm][serif][palatino][default]
	[encoding=ec]
\definetypeface[BodyFont][ss][sans][helvetica][default]
	[encoding=ec]
\definetypeface[BodyFont][tt][mono][computer-modern][default]
	[encoding=ec]
\setupbodyfont[BodyFont]

The command \usetypescript[berry][ec] is necessary to map the font-synonyms
to the font-files named in the Karl-Berry-scheme. Ec-encoded fonts named
in this scheme are usually available on every modern TeX-distribution, since
the LaTeX PSNFFS-system provides them.

Best,
  Jens