* [NTG-context] Another font question...
@ 2002-10-14 13:07 mari.voipio
From: mari.voipio @ 2002-10-14 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

[It seems that my previous message ended up in a queue and got deleted in
the end - I hope I have better luck with this one. I'm badly in need of an
answer...]

Hello, everybody!

Sorry to disturb you with my stupid font questions again, but it seems
that I still haven't learned some things...

I'm running TeXLive+ConTeXt, one system is in WindowXP and the other one
is in Windows2000, but they now behave authentically (=have the same
problem).

After the usual fight with the fonts (some of the afm files are zipped in
my TeXLive and need unzipping by hand and charter has wrong vendor name in
the batch file, too, but I solved all these) my pos fonts almost work -
i.e. they work if I just try to typeset something with very little
formatting.

However, the annoying part is that when I try to run my "real" file, which
works perfectly on my work computer (TeXLive+WinNT), both my home
computers complain

Warning: pdfetex.exe (file ec-raw-uhvro8a): Font ec-raw-uhvro8a at 600 not
found

a) What is wrong? Something with Helvetica, but what and why? As some of
the helvetic .afm files were gzipped, I had to run separate texfont
installation and that seems to have worked fine, at least as far as I
understand from the log:

(lots of other uhvr entries removed)
---
       font identifier : NimbusSanL-ReguItal -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : ec-raw-uhvro8a (from uhvro8a)
     generating new vf : ec-uhvro8a (from ec-raw-uhvro8a)
      missing pfb file : uhvro8a.pfb
---
            generating : ls-r databases
---

b) How to fix this problem? Any quick fix for the whole helvetica set? Or
how to tell texfont that I want to create it exactly at 600?

c) Would upgrading ConTeXt possibly help? I burned the TeXLive CD about 6
weeks back, but its contents seem to be from June. And/Or should I upgrade
TexFont separately, anyone have any experience about this?

d) When I find bugs in the combination TeXLive+ConTeXt+Windows, to whom
should I report them? ConTeXt people, TeXLive people, both or nobody?

Thank you for any help you can give,

Mari Voipio

* Re: [NTG-context] Another font question...
@ 2002-10-14 15:09 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-10-14 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:07:34 +0300 (EET DST)
<mari.voipio@iki.fi> wrote:

> However, the annoying part is that when I try to run my "real" file, which
> works perfectly on my work computer (TeXLive+WinNT), both my home
> computers complain
>
> Warning: pdfetex.exe (file ec-raw-uhvro8a): Font ec-raw-uhvro8a at 600 not
> found

pdftex gives this message if it does not find an appropriate entry in its
map-file (usually pdftex.map).

If you use own fonts (or some installed by texfont) then you have to
 make the map-entries known to pdftex. In ConTeXt you can use
 \loadmapfile

One thing i do not understand is this crazy font-name. The 8a normally
means AdobeStandardEncoding. Thus this font is neither raw-encoded nor
ec-encoded, since ec is 8t and raw is 8r. So, what encoding is really
used for this font?

> a) What is wrong? Something with Helvetica, but what and why? As some of
> the helvetic .afm files were gzipped, I had to run separate texfont
> installation and that seems to have worked fine, at least as far as I
> understand from the log:

Why do you want install those fonts if they are already available on
your system?
The Base14 fonts [Times (rm), Helvetica (ss), Courier (tt)] should be
directly available using:

\usetypescript[berry][ec]
\setupbodyfont[pos]

If you need a different font setup, then have a look in type-syn.tex.
For example the body font using [Palatino (rm), Helvetica (ss), Computer-Modern (tt)]
you can get with:
\usetypescript[berry][ec]
\definetypeface[BodyFont][rm][serif][palatino][default]
	[encoding=ec]
\definetypeface[BodyFont][ss][sans][helvetica][default]
	[encoding=ec]
\definetypeface[BodyFont][tt][mono][computer-modern][default]
	[encoding=ec]
\setupbodyfont[BodyFont]

The command \usetypescript[berry][ec] is necessary to map the font-synonyms
to the font-files named in the Karl-Berry-scheme. Ec-encoded fonts named
in this scheme are usually available on every modern TeX-distribution, since
the LaTeX PSNFFS-system provides them.

Best,
  Jens