From: John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com>
Subject: Re: Line break?
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:24:19 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thursday 31 October 2002 09:22 am, mari.voipio@iki.fi wrote:
> This is probably "the dumbest question of the year", but I cannot
> find an answer in the manuals (beginner's and the real big one) and
> the mailing archives don't want to play with me today [Forbidden. You
> don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/search.cgi on this server.
> Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
> use an
> ErrorDocument to handle the request.].
>
> I badly need a working line break (comparable to the HTML tag <br>).
> In a side note in one of the manuals I found that \\ should work as
> line break, but it doesn't work for me, for example
>
> ---
> Example: To change 4-20 mA = 15 - 25 CONC\% to 4-20 mA = 10 - 30
> CONC\%, key in the sequence\\
> Calibrate/Parameters/Output signals/Current output\\
> and then enter Zero = 10 and Span = 20.
> ---
> results in
> ---
> Example: To change 4-20 mA = 15 - 25 CONC% to 4-20 mA = 10 - 30
> CONC%, key in the sequence Calibrate/Parameters/Output
> signals/Current output and then enter Zero = 10 and Span = 20.
> ---
> and that's not what I want.
>

> I'm open to other solutions as well, but I think I'd really prefer to
> have line breaks there (not least because I want to keep the code
> simple - other people will need to understand this too).

Several solutions come to mind.
You can end each line with \hfil\break. \hfil is a TeX primitive.
\break is a plain TeX macro which is defined as
\def\break{penalty -1000}

A better solution is to enclose the entire passage between
\starttyping
Line 1
line 2
\stoptyping

You will want to look up this command on page 98 of the big manual, as
well as \setuptyping on page 99.

Hope this helps. You will get several dozen responses I am sure.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters, Rowse Reviews, Culleton Editorial