From: John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com>
Subject: Re: Termn "C++" in index
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:29:10 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thursday 31 October 2002 07:55 am, Matthias Heidbrink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> possibly a trivial question, but can't find it anywhere:
>
> How do I get the term "C++" into an index? Unfortunately ConTeXT
> interprets the "+" as a separator for indexed terms and I did not
> find a way to escape it that did not confuse the index mechanism.
>
> Another remark:
> In my view "texutil --purge" should also delete the ...tuo file
> because otherwise ConTeXt does not recover from a defective index
> entry.
>
> Ciao, Matthias

The Context register facility which is used for indexes is not the
ultimate tool for building an index. I use the index.tex macro package
from the Texsis suite and as an intermediary program I use either
makeindex (the simplest course) or Xindy (for maximum flexibility.)

Using the macro packages mentioned the command for making an index
entry is
\index{sortkey@indexterm!subsortkey!subindexterm!subsubsortkey@subsubindexterm}
or in the simplest case \index{indexterm}
The plus sign is not a special character using index.tex and
makeindex. So \index{C++} should work.

The index proper is printed with the command \input \jobname.ind

The cycle is
texsis % to process the \index commands & create \jobname.idx
makeindex %to change jobname.idx to jobname.ind
texsis %to import and typeset the finished index.

You will need to read both the makeindex documentation as well as page
43 of the TeXsis manual. I have a partally-written tutorial on
makeindex which I can send on request.
--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters, Rowse Reviews, Culleton Editorial