* Line break?
@ 2002-10-31 14:22 mari.voipio
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: mari.voipio @ 2002-10-31 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is probably "the dumbest question of the year", but I cannot find an
answer in the manuals (beginner's and the real big one) and the mailing
archives don't want to play with me today [Forbidden. You don't have
permission to access /cgi-bin/search.cgi on this server. Additionally, a
404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
ErrorDocument to handle the request.].

I badly need a working line break (comparable to the HTML tag <br>). In a
side note in one of the manuals I found that \\ should work as line break,
but it doesn't work for me, for example

---
Example: To change 4-20 mA = 15 - 25 CONC\% to 4-20 mA = 10 - 30 CONC\%,
key in the sequence\\
Calibrate/Parameters/Output signals/Current output\\
and then enter Zero = 10 and Span = 20.
---
results in
---
Example: To change 4-20 mA = 15 - 25 CONC% to 4-20 mA = 10 - 30 CONC%, key
in the sequence Calibrate/Parameters/Output signals/Current output and
then enter Zero = 10 and Span = 20.
---
and that's not what I want.

I'm open to other solutions as well, but I think I'd really prefer to have
line breaks there (not least because I want to keep the code simple -
other people will need to understand this too).

Mari from Finland
PS. Any hope with the mailing archive search?

* RE: Line break?
@ 2002-10-31 14:33 ` Duncan Hothersall
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2002-10-31 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think that \\ is only useful in titles and frames and suchlike.

In general text you can use '\crlf', or for a block where you want to obey
line breaks in the source you can use '\startlines ... \stoplines'.

Duncan

> I badly need a working line break (comparable to the HTML tag <br>). In a
> side note in one of the manuals I found that \\ should work as line break,
> but it doesn't work for me, for example

* Re: Line break?
@ 2002-10-31 14:39 ` Matthias Heidbrink
       [not found]   ` <Pine.OSF.4.30.0210311659160.27966-100000@sirppi.helsinki.f i>
From: Matthias Heidbrink @ 2002-10-31 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 04:22:41PM +0200, mari.voipio@iki.fi wrote:
> I badly need a working line break (comparable to the HTML tag <br>). In a
> side note in one of the manuals I found that \\ should work as line break,
> but it doesn't work for me, for example

Try "\crlf". This and more is on page 37 in the manual
"Context - an excursion".

Ciao, Matthias

* Re: Line break?
@ 2002-10-31 14:43 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-10-31 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:22:41 +0200 (EET)
<mari.voipio@iki.fi> wrote:

> I badly need a working line break (comparable to the HTML tag <br>).
> In a side note in one of the manuals I found that \\ should work as
> line break, but it doesn't work for me, for example

I use \break.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame

* Re: Line break?
@ 2002-10-31 15:07   ` mari.voipio
       [not found]   ` <Pine.OSF.4.30.0210311659160.27966-100000@sirppi.helsinki.f i>
From: mari.voipio @ 2002-10-31 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Matthias Heidbrink wrote:

> Try "\crlf". This and more is on page 37 in the manual
> "Context - an excursion".

Nope, on *page* 37 there's some obscure chemistry (says the dummy). But
now that you all have shown me what to look for, I found it in *chapter*
37, Miscellaneous, on _page_90_ (under subsection 37.10 carriage return).

Which explains why I couldn't find it - I'm almost too young to know what
a "carriage return and line feed" is and so I only used "line break" and
"linebreak" as search words and that doesn't help. And then I looked for
the line break under "paragraph formatting", not miscellaneous.

Now I only feel somewhat dumb because I didn't find it myself (because
I've tried pretty hard), this was a Windows generation problem. :-)

If \break really works, I'll prefer using that because it will be more
transparent to other users, but I thank everybody for speedy replies - at
least the mailing list works even if the archives don't.

Mari from Finland

* Re: Line break?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-10-31 16:24 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-10-31 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 31 October 2002 09:22 am, mari.voipio@iki.fi wrote:
> This is probably "the dumbest question of the year", but I cannot
> find an answer in the manuals (beginner's and the real big one) and
> the mailing archives don't want to play with me today [Forbidden. You
> don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/search.cgi on this server.
> Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
> use an
> ErrorDocument to handle the request.].
>
> I badly need a working line break (comparable to the HTML tag <br>).
> In a side note in one of the manuals I found that \\ should work as
> line break, but it doesn't work for me, for example
>
> ---
> Example: To change 4-20 mA = 15 - 25 CONC\% to 4-20 mA = 10 - 30
> CONC\%, key in the sequence\\
> Calibrate/Parameters/Output signals/Current output\\
> and then enter Zero = 10 and Span = 20.
> ---
> results in
> ---
> Example: To change 4-20 mA = 15 - 25 CONC% to 4-20 mA = 10 - 30
> CONC%, key in the sequence Calibrate/Parameters/Output
> signals/Current output and then enter Zero = 10 and Span = 20.
> ---
> and that's not what I want.
>

> I'm open to other solutions as well, but I think I'd really prefer to
> have line breaks there (not least because I want to keep the code
> simple - other people will need to understand this too).

Several solutions come to mind.
You can end each line with \hfil\break. \hfil is a TeX primitive.
\break is a plain TeX macro which is defined as
\def\break{penalty -1000}

A better solution is to enclose the entire passage between
\starttyping
Line 1
line 2
\stoptyping

You will want to look up this command on page 98 of the big manual, as
well as \setuptyping on page 99.

Hope this helps. You will get several dozen responses I am sure.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters, Rowse Reviews, Culleton Editorial

* Re: Line break?
       [not found]   ` <Pine.OSF.4.30.0210311659160.27966-100000@sirppi.helsinki.f i>
@ 2002-10-31 23:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-10-31 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 05:07 PM 10/31/2002 +0200, mari.voipio@iki.fi wrote:
>On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Matthias Heidbrink wrote:
>
> > Try "\crlf". This and more is on page 37 in the manual
> > "Context - an excursion".
>
>Nope, on *page* 37 there's some obscure chemistry (says the dummy). But
>now that you all have shown me what to look for, I found it in *chapter*
>37, Miscellaneous, on _page_90_ (under subsection 37.10 carriage return).
>
>Which explains why I couldn't find it - I'm almost too young to know what
>a "carriage return and line feed" is and so I only used "line break" and
>"linebreak" as search words and that doesn't help. And then I looked for
>the line break under "paragraph formatting", not miscellaneous.
>
>Now I only feel somewhat dumb because I didn't find it myself (because
>I've tried pretty hard), this was a Windows generation problem. :-)
>

>If \break really works, I'll prefer using that because it will be more
>transparent to other users, but I thank everybody for speedy replies - at
>least the mailing list works even if the archives don't.

\crlf also adds a strut and is less sentitive to those underful messages,

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Line break?
@ 2002-11-01  8:22   ` Zeljko Vrba
From: Zeljko Vrba @ 2002-11-01  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 11:24:19AM -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> A better solution is to enclose the entire passage between
> \starttyping
> Line 1
> line 2
> \stoptyping
>
> You will want to look up this command on page 98 of the big manual, as
> well as \setuptyping on page 99.
>
> Hope this helps. You will get several dozen responses I am sure.

As i remember, there exists a \crlf command. I found it in the paragraph  4.14
of the reference manual.