* Is your ConTeXt too slow?
@ 2002-11-07 20:36 Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-11-07 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all (or mainly the users of Unix-like systems)

after i've bought a new notebook and installed the recent
Redhat Linux system i found that an updated ConTeXt runs
very slow. First i thought that Hans had too much time
and implemented a few thousand new features that need
their time, but ...

... it is a queerer story. Here are the run times of
an example document (many inline MP graphics, 18 pages,
many terminal messages !!) on different terminal programs
for X-Windows:

gnome-terminal:         2 min 18 sec
konsole (KDE-terminal): 1 min 30 sec
xterm:                  1 min  5 sec
directly on the console
        (no X-Windows):       58 sec

Normally i use the first. Hmm... ;-(

Don't ask me for reasons, but if your ConTeXt is too
slow, ask yourself if you run it on the right terminal -)

Jens

* Re: Is your ConTeXt too slow?
@ 2002-11-08  8:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-08  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:36 PM 11/7/2002 +0100, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:

>Hi all (or mainly the users of Unix-like systems)
>
>after i've bought a new notebook and installed the recent
>Redhat Linux system i found that an updated ConTeXt runs
>very slow. First i thought that Hans had too much time
>and implemented a few thousand new features that need
>their time, but ...
>
>... it is a queerer story. Here are the run times of
>an example document (many inline MP graphics, 18 pages,
>many terminal messages !!) on different terminal programs
>for X-Windows:
>
>gnome-terminal:         2 min 18 sec
>konsole (KDE-terminal): 1 min 30 sec
>xterm:                  1 min  5 sec
>directly on the console
>         (no X-Windows):       58 sec
>
>Normally i use the first. Hmm... ;-(
>
>Don't ask me for reasons, but if your ConTeXt is too
>slow, ask yourself if you run it on the right terminal -)

Can you check if kpsewhich runs ok? For instance

   kpsewhich colo-ini.tex

   kpsewhich cmr10.tfm

maybe no ls-R file is found and consulted, resulting in a full scan of the
texmf file structure.

[you can also set the kpse debug switch]

[here, i run a minimal context distribution which is esp on smaller jobs
much faster, since in uses a 50 MEG texmf tree (including fonts) instead of
the main 500 MEG one)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Is your ConTeXt too slow?
@ 2002-11-08 10:03   ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-11-08 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:30:56 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 09:36 PM 11/7/2002 +0100, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
>
> >Hi all (or mainly the users of Unix-like systems)
> >
> >after i've bought a new notebook and installed the recent
> >Redhat Linux system i found that an updated ConTeXt runs
> >very slow. First i thought that Hans had too much time
> >and implemented a few thousand new features that need
> >their time, but ...
> >
> >... it is a queerer story. Here are the run times of
> >an example document (many inline MP graphics, 18 pages,
> >many terminal messages !!) on different terminal programs
> >for X-Windows:
> >
> >gnome-terminal:         2 min 18 sec
> >konsole (KDE-terminal): 1 min 30 sec
> >xterm:                  1 min  5 sec
> >directly on the console
> >         (no X-Windows):       58 sec
> >
> >Normally i use the first. Hmm... ;-(
> >
> >Don't ask me for reasons, but if your ConTeXt is too
> >slow, ask yourself if you run it on the right terminal -)
>
> Can you check if kpsewhich runs ok? For instance
>
>    kpsewhich colo-ini.tex
>
>    kpsewhich cmr10.tfm
>
> maybe no ls-R file is found and consulted, resulting in a full scan of the
> texmf file structure.

No, no. TeX finds its files very fast. I could improve that with a smaller
texmf-tree, but 1+ min for the job is IMO okay; it runs 3xConTeXt,
2xTeXUtil and 2xMetaPost. The problem is the terminal program. It seems
that the drawing of those many messages on the terminal needs much time.
If i use a slow terminal, i.e. gnome-terminal, then the runtime increases.

Can i switch off the messages generated by ConTeXt, this would help to
compare.

Jens

* Re: Is your ConTeXt too slow?
@ 2002-11-08 13:28     ` Jan Hlavacek
From: Jan Hlavacek @ 2002-11-08 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 11:03:48AM +0100, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:30:56 +0100
> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> > At 09:36 PM 11/7/2002 +0100, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
> >
> > >Hi all (or mainly the users of Unix-like systems)
> > >
> > >after i've bought a new notebook and installed the recent
> > >Redhat Linux system i found that an updated ConTeXt runs
> > >very slow. First i thought that Hans had too much time
> > >and implemented a few thousand new features that need
> > >their time, but ...
> > >
> > >... it is a queerer story. Here are the run times of
> > >an example document (many inline MP graphics, 18 pages,
> > >many terminal messages !!) on different terminal programs
> > >for X-Windows:
> > >
> > >gnome-terminal:         2 min 18 sec
> > >konsole (KDE-terminal): 1 min 30 sec
> > >xterm:                  1 min  5 sec
> > >directly on the console
> > >         (no X-Windows):       58 sec
> > >
> > >Normally i use the first. Hmm... ;-(
> > >
> > >Don't ask me for reasons, but if your ConTeXt is too
> > >slow, ask yourself if you run it on the right terminal -)
> >
> > Can you check if kpsewhich runs ok? For instance
> >
> >    kpsewhich colo-ini.tex
> >
> >    kpsewhich cmr10.tfm
> >
> > maybe no ls-R file is found and consulted, resulting in a full scan of the
> > texmf file structure.
>
> No, no. TeX finds its files very fast. I could improve that with a smaller
> texmf-tree, but 1+ min for the job is IMO okay; it runs 3xConTeXt,
> 2xTeXUtil and 2xMetaPost. The problem is the terminal program. It seems
> that the drawing of those many messages on the terminal needs much time.
> If i use a slow terminal, i.e. gnome-terminal, then the runtime increases.
>
> Can i switch off the messages generated by ConTeXt, this would help to
> compare.

Did you try to run context with output redirected to a file?  How long
does that take?

try texexec yourfile.tex > logfile

then look at the file called logfile to see the messages.

--
Jan Hlavacek                                            (219) 434-7566
Department of Mathematics                             Jhlavacek@sf.edu

* Re: Is your ConTeXt too slow?
@ 2002-11-08 15:51       ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-11-08 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:28:14 -0500
Jan Hlavacek <jhlavacek@sf.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 11:03:48AM +0100, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
> > On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:30:56 +0100
> > Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> > > maybe no ls-R file is found and consulted, resulting in a full scan of the
> > > texmf file structure.
> >
> > No, no. TeX finds its files very fast. I could improve that with a smaller
> > texmf-tree, but 1+ min for the job is IMO okay; it runs 3xConTeXt,
> > 2xTeXUtil and 2xMetaPost. The problem is the terminal program. It seems
> > that the drawing of those many messages on the terminal needs much time.
> > If i use a slow terminal, i.e. gnome-terminal, then the runtime increases.

> Did you try to run context with output redirected to a file?  How long
> does that take?
>
> try texexec yourfile.tex > logfile

ahh, interesting idea. Now it is independent from the used terminal and a run
needs about 50 seconds.

Jens

* Re: Is your ConTeXt too slow?
@ 2002-11-08 16:01         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-08 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:51 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:

> > Did you try to run context with output redirected to a file?  How long
> > does that take?
> >
> > try texexec yourfile.tex > logfile
>
>ahh, interesting idea. Now it is independent from the used terminal and a run
>needs about 50 seconds.

another option is to choose another terminal font (bitmap versus outline)

also, try

texexec --silent .....

@ 2002-11-09 10:28           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-11-09 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> another option is to choose another terminal font (bitmap versus outline)

I normally hide my terminal window (Win Cmd, too) at bigger jobs.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net
http://www.ramm.ch