* special heading
@ 2002-11-11 20:56 Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-11 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

I'm having trouble with a special heading. I have written a treatise where
everything is numbered in sections, subsections, etc.  I need an introductory
section-like command, say,

\definehead [introduction][section]

where
1. "Introduction" is marked in the table of contents without a number, and
2.  absolutely nothing is marked in the main text;
3. the first section is still marked as `1' in the main text and the TOC.

Another possibility I'm considering:

1. "Introduction" is marked in the table of contents without a number, and
2. "Introduction" is marked centered in the main text without a number;
3. the first section is still marked as `1' in the main text and the TOC.

Thnx in advance
Idris

--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: special heading
@ 2002-11-11 21:07 ` Peter Jander
From: Peter Jander @ 2002-11-11 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Idris,

> where
> 1. "Introduction" is marked in the table of contents without a number, and
> 2.  absolutely nothing is marked in the main text;
> 3. the first section is still marked as `1' in the main text and the TOC.

\writetolist[section]{}{Introduction}

should do the trick. It just writes a section-like entry into the TOC,
no number, and no messing with the numbering. Make sure you
place to command where your Introduction starts, to get the page
number right.

Hope this helps,

Peter

* Re: special heading
@ 2002-11-12  0:54   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-12  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 11 November 2002 13:07, Peter Jander wrote:

> \writetolist[section]{}{Introduction}

> Hope this helps,

It does. Thnx Peter!

Best wishes