* Re: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-11 21:56 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-11-11 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Monday, November 11, 2002 Idris S Hamid wrote:

ISH> Dear team,
ISH> I sent a similar question before but got no response. Hopefully I'll get
ISH> better luck this time;->

ISH> In Gamma (and perhaps in regular ConTeXt as well but I have no other fonts to
ISH> test there) \setupbodyfont[cmr] does not seem to work/behaves strangely:

ISH> -------------cm-test.tex--------------
ISH> \input m-gamma.tex
ISH> \input type-omg.tex

I have no idea if this is at all relevant, but:

(1) shouldn't m-gamma be loaded by \usemodule[gamma] ? (This will
unlikely change things at all)

(2) if I recall correctly, the best way to set up new typescript
files is by use of

\usetypescriptfile[type-omg]

This *might* help.

(And no, I didn't run either your tests nor those with the
correction)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-11 22:48 Idris S Hamid
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-11 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear team,
I sent a similar question before but got no response. Hopefully I'll get
better luck this time;->

In Gamma (and perhaps in regular ConTeXt as well but I have no other fonts to
test there) \setupbodyfont[cmr] does not seem to work/behaves strangely:

-------------cm-test.tex--------------
\input m-gamma.tex
\input type-omg.tex

\setupbodyfont[cmr,14pt]
%\setupbodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]

This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]
%\switchtobodyfont[cmr,14pt]

This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[cmr, 14pt]
%\switchtobodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]

This is a test

\stoptext
---------------------------

Results:

First line in cmr14, second line in omlgc14.4 (OK so far)

Third line in omlgc14 (This is wrong!)

Now lets switch things:

-------------------------------
\input m-gamma.tex
\input type-omg.tex

%\setupbodyfont[cmr,14pt]
\setupbodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]

This is a test

%\switchtobodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]
\switchtobodyfont[cmr,14pt]

This is a test

%\switchtobodyfont[cmr, 14pt]
\switchtobodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]

This is a test

\stoptext
-------------------------------

Results:

First line in omlgc14.4 (OK so far)

Second line in omlgc14 (instead of cmr14)

Third line in omlgc14.4 (OK)

As u can see, \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  does not seem to work. Am I doing
something wrong or is something else afoot? Note that I have not called any
ocp lists so it's not an ocp interference.

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes
Idris

--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-11 23:28 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-11-11 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Monday, November 11, 2002 Idris S Hamid wrote:

ISH> \setupbodyfont[cmr,14pt]
ISH> %\setupbodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]

Did some testings. The bug is also present with pdfeTeX, using
pos,berry and cmr. Seems to work fine if you remove the size
specifications, though. Hope this helps Hans tracing the bug.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-12  1:02   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-12  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Monday 11 November 2002 15:28, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> Monday, November 11, 2002 Idris S Hamid wrote:
>
> ISH> \setupbodyfont[cmr,14pt]
> ISH> %\setupbodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]
>
> Did some testings. The bug is also present with pdfeTeX, using
> pos,berry and cmr. Seems to work fine if you remove the size
> specifications, though. Hope this helps Hans tracing the bug.

Good to know that it's a bug and not all my fault;->

Anyway, removing the size specifications does not help me:

-------------cm-test-------------
\input m-gamma.tex
\input type-omg.tex

\setupbodyfont[cmr]
%\setupbodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]

This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[omlgc]
%\switchtobodyfont[cmr]

This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[cmr]
%\switchtobodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]

This is a test  %% This STILL comes out as omlgc!!

\stoptext
----------------------------------
Thnx 4 looking into this!

Best wishes
Idris
--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-12  8:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-12  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 02:48 PM 11/11/2002 -0800, Idris S Hamid wrote:

>In Gamma (and perhaps in regular ConTeXt as well but I have no other fonts to
>test there) \setupbodyfont[cmr] does not seem to work/behaves strangely:
>
>-------------cm-test.tex--------------
>\input m-gamma.tex
>\input type-omg.tex
>
>\setupbodyfont[cmr,14pt]
>%\setupbodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]
>
>This is a test
>
>\switchtobodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]
>%\switchtobodyfont[cmr,14pt]
>
>This is a test
>
>\switchtobodyfont[cmr, 14pt]
>%\switchtobodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]
>
>This is a test
>
>\stoptext

in my type-omg i see no omlgc defined, so \setupbodyfont[cmr,14pt]

\setupbodyfont[cmr, 14pt]        This is a test \fontname\font \par
\switchtobodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt] This is a test \fontname\font \par
\switchtobodyfont[cmr, 14pt]     This is a test \fontname\font \par

gives me expected behavior.

When mixing fonts, esp with similar names, and esp in an ungrouped way,
it's best to use the typeface mechanism, since it provides a namespace,
while the less clever mechanism overloads definitions (keep in mind that
there are some limitations to the amount of fonts and memory, so there are
some trade off's)

>---------------------------
>
>Results:
>
>First line in cmr14, second line in omlgc14.4 (OK so far)
>
>Third line in omlgc14 (This is wrong!)

this is probably because you now have Serif redefined to an oml font, and
since you don't use grouping, there is no way that tex can go back to the
already lost definitions (that is: in typefaces we use a namespace, so
there it's no problem).

you may try (1) grouping or (2) \switchtobodyfont[reset] in between, but
mixing fonts this way (not using typefaces) can be painfully slow

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-12 11:59 ` Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2002-11-12 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi  Dr. Hamid:

I managed to recreate your problem by switching between lucida and cmr in
regular context.  I think you have erred in calling \switchtobodyfont[cmr] .
If you haven't mapped another font to "rm", try
 \switchtobodyfont[rm] .  This should give you cmr by default.
Best wishes,

Matthew Huggett
[...]

* Re[2]: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-12 14:06   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-11-12 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Tuesday, November 12, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> When mixing fonts, esp with similar names, and esp in an ungrouped way,
HH> it's best to use the typeface mechanism, since it provides a namespace,
HH> while the less clever mechanism overloads definitions (keep in mind that
HH> there are some limitations to the amount of fonts and memory, so there are
HH> some trade off's)

I never managed to get typeface working correctly, other than
defining things similarly to type-pre and using those with
\switchbodyfont. Is there any documentation on how to *use*
typefaces (not *define* them)?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-12 18:12     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-12 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:06 PM 11/12/2002 +0100, you wrote:

>Tuesday, November 12, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>HH> When mixing fonts, esp with similar names, and esp in an ungrouped way,
>HH> it's best to use the typeface mechanism, since it provides a namespace,
>HH> while the less clever mechanism overloads definitions (keep in mind that
>HH> there are some limitations to the amount of fonts and memory, so there
>are
>HH> some trade off's)
>
>I never managed to get typeface working correctly, other than
>defining things similarly to type-pre and using those with
>\switchbodyfont. Is there any documentation on how to *use*
>typefaces (not *define* them)?

define:

   \definetypeface[mainface][....]

then use 'm:

   \setupbodyfont[mainface]

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[3]: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-12 22:10       ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-11-12 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Tuesday, November 12, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:

>>I never managed to get typeface working correctly, other than
>>defining things similarly to type-pre and using those with
>>\switchbodyfont. Is there any documentation on how to *use*
>>typefaces (not *define* them)?

HH> define:

HH>    \definetypeface[mainface][....]

HH> then use 'm:

HH>    \setupbodyfont[mainface]

Something like this?

\starttext

\switchtobodyfont[modern]

This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[postscript]

This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[modern]

This is a test

\stoptext

Does nothing, here.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[3]: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-13  8:39         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-13  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:10 PM 11/12/2002 +0100, you wrote:

>Tuesday, November 12, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:
>

> >>I never managed to get typeface working correctly, other than
> >>defining things similarly to type-pre and using those with
> >>\switchbodyfont. Is there any documentation on how to *use*
> >>typefaces (not *define* them)?
>
>HH> define:
>
>HH>    \definetypeface[mainface][....]
>
>HH> then use 'm:
>
>HH>    \setupbodyfont[mainface]
>
>Something like this?

You forgot to load the typescripts

\usetypescript [modern]     [texnansi]
\usetypescript [postscript] [texnansi]

>\starttext
>
>\switchtobodyfont[modern]
>
>This is a test
>
>\switchtobodyfont[postscript]
>
>This is a test
>
>\switchtobodyfont[modern]
>
>This is a test
>
>\stoptext
>
>Does nothing, here.
>
>--
>Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

>Deze e-mail is door E-mail VirusScanner van Planet Internet gecontroleerd
>op virussen.
>Op http://www.planet.nl/evs staat een verwijzing naar de actuele lijst
>waar op wordt gecontroleerd.

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[4]: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-13 11:31           ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-11-13 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Wednesday, November 13, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> You forgot to load the typescripts

HH> \usetypescript [modern]     [texnansi]
HH> \usetypescript [postscript] [texnansi]

Actually I had tried that, but without specifying the encoding ...

Ok, now it seems to work: I also added [berry][ec] to ensure
berry-names, and now I have a problem ... it attempts to use the
txr font; can I prevent a font switch for math mode, since I'm not
using math and won't need (nor want to install) that font?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[4]: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-13 16:16             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-13 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:31 PM 11/13/2002 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Wednesday, November 13, 2002 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>HH> You forgot to load the typescripts
>
>HH> \usetypescript [modern]     [texnansi]
>HH> \usetypescript [postscript] [texnansi]
>
>Actually I had tried that, but without specifying the encoding ...
>
>Ok, now it seems to work: I also added [berry][ec] to ensure
>berry-names, and now I have a problem ... it attempts to use the
>txr font; can I prevent a font switch for math mode, since I'm not
>using math and won't need (nor want to install) that font?

see type-exa:

\usetypescript[times]

or make an alternative typescript

@ 2002-11-13 19:53   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-13 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 03:59, Matthew Huggett wrote:
> Hi  Dr. Hamid:
>
> I managed to recreate your problem by switching between lucida and cmr in
> regular context.  I think you have erred in calling \switchtobodyfont[cmr]
> . If you haven't mapped another font to "rm", try
>  \switchtobodyfont[rm] .  This should give you cmr by default.
> Best wishes,

Hi Matt!

Thnx for the advice. It still does not work though.  I'm going to work on this
today and see if I can find something.

Best wishes
Idris

--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-13 20:07   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-13 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 00:31, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >-------------cm-test.tex--------------
> >\input m-gamma.tex
> >\input type-omg.tex
> >
> >\setupbodyfont[cmr,14pt]
> >%\setupbodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]
> >
> >This is a test
> >
> >\switchtobodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]
> >%\switchtobodyfont[cmr,14pt]
> >
> >This is a test
> >
> >\switchtobodyfont[cmr, 14pt]
> >%\switchtobodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt]
> >
> >This is a test
> >
> >\stoptext

> in my type-omg i see no omlgc defined, so \setupbodyfont[cmr,14pt]

Eh? The following is at the end of the official tpe-omg.tex:

------------------------------
\starttypescript [OmegaLGC]

  \definebodyfontenvironment
    [omlgc]
    [default]
    [interlinespace=2.8ex]

  \definetypeface [omlgc] [rm] [serif] [omega] [omega]
  \definetypeface [omlgc] [tt] [mono] [omega] [omega]

\stoptypescript
-----------------------------------

and \switchtobodyfont[omlgc] is used throughout m-gamma.tex.
And it works:-)

> \setupbodyfont[cmr, 14pt]        This is a test \fontname\font \par
> \switchtobodyfont[omlgc, 14.4pt] This is a test \fontname\font \par
> \switchtobodyfont[cmr, 14pt]     This is a test \fontname\font \par
>
> gives me expected behavior.

Are you sure? I get

This is a test omlgc at 14.0pt

in omlgc of course.

Are you sure there's not a bug somewhere else? I have my own private fonts

\definetypeface [mtnaskh] [rm] [naskh] [mtnaskhi] [mtnaskhi] [rscale=1.6]

and when I do a switch to omlgc it works fine.  I always enclose omlgc in its
own group as well. But when I switch to cmr in its own group it does not work
at all.

I bet that if I replaced all the fonts in type-omg.tex with cmr it would work
with no problem. There must be something else afoot.

> When mixing fonts, esp with similar names, and esp in an ungrouped way,
> it's best to use the typeface mechanism, since it provides a namespace,
> while the less clever mechanism overloads definitions (keep in mind that
> there are some limitations to the amount of fonts and memory, so there are
> some trade off's)

I will study the xchange between u and Giuseppe and see if I can make sense of
this. Stay tuned.

Best wishes
Idris

--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Re[3]: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-13 20:25           ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-13 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 00:39, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >HH> define:
> >
> >HH>    \definetypeface[mainface][....]
> >
> >HH> then use 'm:
> >
> >HH>    \setupbodyfont[mainface]
> >
> >Something like this?
>
> You forgot to load the typescripts
>
> \usetypescript [modern]     [texnansi]
> \usetypescript [postscript] [texnansi]

It's still not working, even with grouping!
\usetypescript [modern]     [texnansi]
%\usetypescript [postscript] [texnansi]

\starttext

\switchtobodyfont[modern]

This is a test

\switchtobodyfont[omlgc]

This is a test

{\switchtobodyfont[modern]

This is a test [This is STILL in omlgc!]}

\stoptext

Also, uncommenting %\usetypescript [postscript] [texnansi] cause omega's
capacity to be exceeded. Which texmf.cnf values should I increase?:***
----------------------
! Omega capacity exceeded, sorry [number of strings=3265].
\dosetunexpanded ...sname #2\endcsname \endcsname
                                                  }\@EA #1\@EA {\@EA \s!do
\...

\@@expanded ...d \setgvalue {postscript17.3pttttf}
                                                  {\xxdododefinefont
{1.1}{1...

\dododododefinebodyfont ...}{\the \scratchtoks }}}
                                                  \fi \fi
\next7 #1,->\dodododefinebodyfont {tt}{17.3pt}{#1}
                                                  \doprocesscommaitem
<argument> \relax tf=Mono sa 1,
                                bf=MonoBold sa 1, it=MonoItalic sa 1,
sl=Mon...

\doprocesscommalist ...aitem \gobbleoneargument #1
                                                  ,]\relax \global \advance
l.32 \stoptypescript
--------------------------

Has anyone figured out how to painlessly switch from omlgc (or any other font)
to cmr? I don't want to have to write an entirely new typescript for cmr! The
fact that I can switch from my private fonts to omlgc and back but not to cmr
is really fishy:-)

Best wishes
Idris

*** Strangely, fpTeX (with the same cnf values as teTeX) does not usually
complain about exceeded capacity, in contrast to teTeX. I'll test this
particular case as well shortly.
--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-13 22:16 ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-13 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I've found a solution! Here is my new typescript file, type-cmr.tex. There
is probably a way to condense this but I was taking no chances:->:

------------type-cmr.tex---------------
%%% Names and synonyms

\starttypescript [serif] [knuth] [name]
\usetypescript   [serif] [computer-modern] [name]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [knuth] [name]
\usetypescript   [sans] [computer-modern] [name]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [mono] [knuth] [name]
\usetypescript   [mono] [computer-modern] [name]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [math] [knuth] [name]
\usetypescript   [math] [computer-modern] [name]
\stoptypescript

%%% Sizes

\starttypescript [serif] [knuth] [size]
\usetypescript   [serif] [computer-modern] [size]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [knuth] [size]
\usetypescript   [sans] [computer-modern] [size]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [mono] [knuth] [size]
\usetypescript   [mono] [computer-modern] [size]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [math] [knuth] [size]
\usetypescript   [math] [computer-modern] [size]
\stoptypescript

%%% Final collection

\starttypescript [MyCMR]

  \definebodyfontenvironment
    [mycmr]
    [default]
    [interlinespace=2.8ex]

  \definetypeface [mycmr] [rm] [serif] [knuth] [knuth]
  \definetypeface [mycmr] [ss] [sans]  [knuth] [knuth]
  \definetypeface [mycmr] [tt] [mono]  [knuth] [knuth]
  \definetypeface [mycmr] [mm] [math]  [knuth] [knuth]

\stoptypescript

Now the following file works, also for the commented scenario!

-------------cm-test.tex------------------
\input m-gamma.tex
\input type-omg.tex
\input type-cmr.tex

\usetypescriptfile[type-cmr]
\usetypescript[MyCMR]
%\setupbodyfont[mycmr,14pt]
\setupbodyfont[omlgc,14.4pt]

\starttext

This is a test

%\switchtobodyfont[omlgc,14.4pt]
\switchtobodyfont[mycmr,14pt]

This is a test

%\switchtobodyfont[mycmr,14pt]
\switchtobodyfont[omlgc,14.4pt]

This is a test

So now I'm sure that there's something wrong with the default setup:->

Question: why do I get the following warnings and how can I get rid of them?

systems        : begin file cm-test at line 10
bodyfont       : bodyfont 9.7pt is defined (can better be done global)
bodyfont       : bodyfont 9.7pt is defined (can better be done global)
bodyfont       : bodyfont 11.2pt is defined (can better be done global)
bodyfont       : bodyfont 11.2pt is defined (can better be done global)
bodyfont       : bodyfont 8.4pt is defined (can better be done global)
bodyfont       : bodyfont 8.4pt is defined (can better be done global)
bodyfont       : bodyfont 16.7pt is defined (can better be done global)
bodyfont       : bodyfont 16.7pt is defined (can better be done global)
bodyfont       : bodyfont 14pt is defined (can better be done global)
bodyfont       : bodyfont 14pt is defined (can better be done global)
[1.1]
systems        : end file cm-test at line 24

Question: ConTeXt takes a long time to load all the font info.

Can I suppress this info?
Is there a way to speed things up?

About Omega, I changed ConTeXt's values in texmf.cnf:
string_vacancies.context =  180000
max_strings.context      =  200000

Question: why does every TeX-variant in the book have a full array of config
values except for Omega, which only has ocp values?

Best wishes
Idris

--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: \switchtobodyfont[cmr]  in Gamma
@ 2002-11-13 23:06   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-13 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 14:16, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> There is probably a way to condense this but I was taking no chances:->:

Miracle of miracles, the following works too:->:

--------------type-cmr------------
%%% Names and synonyms

\starttypescript [roman] [knuth] [name]
\usetypescript [serif,sans,mono,math] [computer-modern] [name,size]
\stoptypescript

%%% Sizes

\starttypescript [roman] [knuth] [size]
\usetypescript   [serif,sans,mono,math] [computer-modern] [size]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [MyCMR]

  \definebodyfontenvironment
    [mycmr]
    [default]
    [interlinespace=2.8ex]

  \definetypeface [mycmr] [rm,ss,tt,mm] [roman] [knuth] [knuth]
  %% I was not sure if [rm,ss,tt,mm] was going to work.

\stoptypescript

Please amend this if I have left anything out. I'm still curious as to why the
default cmr setup does not work.

Best wishes
Idris

--