* Fun with \setuphead
@ 2002-11-12  0:08 Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-12  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear coterie,

I have defined another section:

\definehead [SubNote][subsection]
\setuphead  [SubNote][style=bold, number=no]

Now I want to do a certain operation on the argument of \subnote whenever it
appears in the TOC. The argument should appear in the main text as expected:

\SubNote{My Note}

but it should appear as

{\operation My Note}

in the TOC.

Put another way, I want to change/operate upon the lemma that's passed to the
TOC.

Is there a way I can wrap all this up in the \setuphead  command? If not,
what's the workaround?

(For the curious: My main text (including headings) is fully accented. I have
a command, "\onovocalize" which strips away all the accents. I want all my
TOC entries to be\onovocalize'ed without affecting the rest of the text and
need to setup my heads to reflect this.)

Best wishes
Idris
--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Fun with \setuphead
@ 2002-11-12  0:21 ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-12  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 11 November 2002 16:08, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> Dear coterie,
>
> I have defined another section:
>
> \definehead [SubNote][subsection]
> \setuphead  [SubNote][style=bold, number=no]
>
> Now I want to do a certain operation on the argument of \subnote whenever
> it appears in the TOC. The argument should appear in the main text as
> expected:
>
> \SubNote{My Note}
>
> but it should appear as
>
> {\operation My Note}
>
> in the TOC.
>
> Put another way, I want to change/operate upon the lemma that's passed to
> the TOC.
>
> Is there a way I can wrap all this up in the \setuphead  command? If not,
> what's the workaround?

I noticed that the argument of \SubNote does not automatically appear in the
TOC. Two questions:

1. How do I turn on the TOC entry for  \SubNote{My Note}?

2. The fact that it does not automatically appear in the TOC gives me a
workaround to the original problem:

\SubNote{My Note:}
\writetolist[subsection]{}{\operation My Note"}

This brings up a another part of the original problem:

How do I get \SubNote to automatically append a `:' at the end of every
argument?

Thnx again
Idris

--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Fun with \setuphead
@ 2002-11-13 16:24 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-13 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:08 PM 11/11/2002 -0800, Idris S Hamid wrote:

>(For the curious: My main text (including headings) is fully accented. I have
>a command, "\onovocalize" which strips away all the accents. I want all my
>TOC entries to be\onovocalize'ed without affecting the rest of the text and
>need to setup my heads to reflect this.)

What does onovovalize do? Can you use:

\setuplist[chapter][style=\onovocalize]

(possible of it's just some setting, not if it's some parsing)

an alternative is :

\let\HowAboutThis\firstofoneargument

\chapter{\HowAboutThis{your text}}

\setuplist[chapter][style=\let\HowaboutThis\onovocalize

etc

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Fun with \setuphead
@ 2002-11-13 23:59   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-13 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 08:24, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 04:08 PM 11/11/2002 -0800, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> >(For the curious: My main text (including headings) is fully accented. I
> > have a command, "\onovocalize" which strips away all the accents. I want
> > all my TOC entries to be\onovocalize'ed without affecting the rest of the
> > text and need to setup my heads to reflect this.)
>
> What does onovovalize do? Can you use:
>
> \setuplist[chapter][style=\onovocalize]
>
> (possible of it's just some setting, not if it's some parsing)

\onovocalize calls up a different list of ocp's. The default as I have set
things up for my document is \ovocalize. I must keep \onovocalize within a
group, of cours.

> an alternative is :
>
> \let\HowAboutThis\firstofoneargument
>
> \chapter{\HowAboutThis{your text}}
>
> \setuplist[chapter][style=\let\HowaboutThis\onovocalize

Ok, here's what happens:

\let\TOC\firstofoneargument
\setuplist  [section][style=\let\TOC\onovocalize]

Here's my section:

\section{\TOC{'a.sAlaTu al-'aysi 'aw 'a.sAlaTu al-.s.sayrUraTi?}}

Here's what I get:

----------------------------
! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   \let
\@@lisectionletter ->\let
                          \TOC \onovocalize
\p!doifundefined ...t \expandafter \ifx \csname #1
                                                  \endcsname \relax
\doifdefinedelse #1->\p!doifundefined {#1}
                                          \let \donottest \doprocesstest
\@E...

\do\dodoconvertfont ...fdefinedelse {\@letter@ #1}
                                                   {\doifelsenothing
{#1}\go...
<argument> ...li \v!paragraaf }\c!letter \c!kleur
                                                  \empty \!!widthb \hsize
\s...
l.6 ...z
---------------------------

What am I doing wrong? Or is there a better way? Thnx for the help!

Best wishes
Idris
--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Fun with \setuphead
@ 2002-11-14  0:27   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-14  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 13 November 2002 08:24, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 04:08 PM 11/11/2002 -0800, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> >(For the curious: My main text (including headings) is fully accented. I
> > have a command, "\onovocalize" which strips away all the accents. I want
> > all my TOC entries to be\onovocalize'ed without affecting the rest of the
> > text and need to setup my heads to reflect this.)
>
> What does onovovalize do? Can you use:
>
> \setuplist[chapter][style=\onovocalize]
>
> (possible of it's just some setting, not if it's some parsing)
>
> an alternative is :
>
> \let\HowAboutThis\firstofoneargument
>
> \chapter{\HowAboutThis{your text}}
>
> \setuplist[chapter][style=\let\HowaboutThis\onovocalize

The following trick works for now:

{\onovocalize\placecontent}

Of course it would be nicer to set this up for each type of list, but it's
rare that I would want e.g. chapters globally vocalized and sections globally
not vocalized in the TOC. For individual cases I can can always make explicit
declarations where needed.

Thnx again
Idris

--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Fun with \setuphead
@ 2002-11-14 10:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-14 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:59 PM 11/13/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>\onovocalize calls up a different list of ocp's. The default as I have set
>things up for my document is \ovocalize. I must keep \onovocalize within a
>group, of cours.
>
>\setuplist [section][style=\let\TOC\onovocalize]

in that case, just say style=\onovocalize

@ 2002-11-14 12:48   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-11-14 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 12 November 2002 12:21 am, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> On Monday 11 November 2002 16:08, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> > Dear coterie,
> >
> > I have defined another section:
> >
> > \definehead [SubNote][subsection]
> > \setuphead  [SubNote][style=bold, number=no]
> >
> > Now I want to do a certain operation on the argument of \subnote
> > whenever it appears in the TOC. The argument should appear in the
> > main text as expected:
> >
> > \SubNote{My Note}
> >
> > but it should appear as
> >
> > {\operation My Note}
> >
> > in the TOC.

I have a (hopefully) simpler need. I just want to put a note somewhwere
on the first page of the TOC that says "Click on blue areas to jump to
that heading". I tried a footnote but it fell on the second page of the
TOC. I tried a line of text just before \completecontent but it
appeared on a page by itself, followed by a blank page. I can even
live with a sidebar!

Any hints, anyone?
--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters

* Re: Fun with \setuphead
@ 2002-11-14 17:12     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-14 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:48 PM 11/14/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>On Tuesday 12 November 2002 12:21 am, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> > On Monday 11 November 2002 16:08, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> > > Dear coterie,
> > >
> > > I have defined another section:
> > >
> > > \definehead [SubNote][subsection]
> > > \setuphead  [SubNote][style=bold, number=no]
> > >
> > > Now I want to do a certain operation on the argument of \subnote
> > > whenever it appears in the TOC. The argument should appear in the
> > > main text as expected:
> > >
> > > \SubNote{My Note}
> > >
> > > but it should appear as
> > >
> > > {\operation My Note}
> > >
> > > in the TOC.
> > >
>I have a (hopefully) simpler need. I just want to put a note somewhwere
>on the first page of the TOC that says "Click on blue areas to jump to
>that heading". I tried a footnote but it fell on the second page of the
>TOC. I tried a line of text just before \completecontent but it
>appeared on a page by itself, followed by a blank page. I can even
>live with a sidebar!

\startcomment
You may try this
\stopcomment

@ 2002-11-14 19:05       ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-14 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 14 November 2002 02:27, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 03:59 PM 11/13/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >\onovocalize calls up a different list of ocp's. The default as I have set
> >things up for my document is \ovocalize. I must keep \onovocalize within a
> >group, of cours.
> >
> >\setuplist [section][style=\let\TOC\onovocalize]
>
> in that case, just say style=\onovocalize

I tried that:-)

\setuphead[section]   [style=bold,style=\onovocalize]

results in

! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   \pushocplist
\ArabicGrammarNoVowels ->\pushocplist
                                      \ArabicLagallyCTPNoVowels
\p!doifundefined ...t \expandafter \ifx \csname #1
                                                  \endcsname \relax
\doifdefinedelse #1->\p!doifundefined {#1}
                                          \let \donottest \doprocesstest
\@E...

\do\dodoconvertfont ...fdefinedelse {\@letter@ #1}
                                                   {\doifelsenothing
{#1}\go...

\do\dosetfontattribute ...name #1#2\endcsname \fi
                                                  \empty

Best wishes
Idris
--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Fun with \setuphead
@ 2002-11-14 21:18         ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2002-11-14 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Idris,

Did you try

 \setuphead[section][style={bold,\onovocalize}]

Cheers Willi

> On Thursday 14 November 2002 02:27, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > At 03:59 PM 11/13/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> > >\onovocalize calls up a different list of ocp's. The default as I have
set
> > >things up for my document is \ovocalize. I must keep \onovocalize
within a
> > >group, of cours.
> > >
> > >\setuplist [section][style=\let\TOC\onovocalize]
> >
> > in that case, just say style=\onovocalize
>
> I tried that:-)
>
> \setuphead[section]   [style=bold,style=\onovocalize]
>
> results in

> ! Missing \endcsname inserted.
> <to be read again>
>                    \pushocplist
> \ArabicGrammarNoVowels ->\pushocplist
>                                       \ArabicLagallyCTPNoVowels
> \p!doifundefined ...t \expandafter \ifx \csname #1
>                                                   \endcsname \relax
> \doifdefinedelse #1->\p!doifundefined {#1}
>                                           \let \donottest \doprocesstest
> \@E...
>
> \do\dodoconvertfont ...fdefinedelse {\@letter@ #1}
>                                                    {\doifelsenothing
> {#1}\go...
>
> \do\dosetfontattribute ...name #1#2\endcsname \fi
>                                                   \empty
>
> Best wishes
> Idris
> --
> Dr. Idris S Hamid
> Department of Philosophy
> Colorado State University
> Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Fun with \setuphead
@ 2002-11-14 21:51             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-14 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 02:39 PM 11/14/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>On Thursday 14 November 2002 13:18, Willi Egger wrote:
> > Hi Idris,
> >
> > Did you try
> >
> >  \setuphead[section][style={bold,\onovocalize}]
>
>I tried this to no avail---same error. But Thnx!

\definealternativestyle [whow] [\sl]  [\onovocalize\bf]

style=whow

@ 2002-11-14 22:39           ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-14 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)