* Re: quote environment
@ 2002-11-11 20:53 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-11-11 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I sent a note about this a couple of months back; shouldn't what Idris
(and I earlier) is proposing be standard behavior behavior?  Block
quotes are generally (though not always) part of a larger paragraph.
Also, per earlier suggestion, there should be an option not to have
them enclosed in quote marks.

Bruce

* quote environment
@ 2002-11-11 21:38 Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-11 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear crew,

(Please forgive all the (perhaps) clueless questions: I've had to spend the
last few months focusing on _content_ in my research as opposed to _form_ so
I've gotten quite rusty:->)

I have defined a quote environment as follows:

   \startnarrower[2*left,2*right]\noindent
   Some quoted text
   \stopnarrower

I would like to define a more sophisticated \startquote \stopquote with the
following features:

1. Assuming the quote is within a paragraph and is preceded and succeeded by
text belonging to that same paragraph, the skips preceding and succeeding
text should be the same as in the default itemize environment. Assuming
itemize uses \medskip (how do I find out for sure (aside from digging into
the code)?), I need the quote environment to do something like;

------------------------------------
Here is some preceding text
\medskip
%
   \startnarrower[2*left,2*right]\noindent
   Some quoted text
   \stopnarrower
\medskip
%
Here is some succeeding text.

2. Assuming the quote is within a paragraph and is preceded and succeeded by
text belonging to that same paragraph, the succeeding text should NOT be
indented. viz.

Here is some preceding text
%
\startquote
   Some quoted text
\stopquote
%
Here is some succeeding text that should NOT be indented

3. Assuming the quote is at the _end_ of a paragraph, I need the quote
environment to do something like;

--------------------------------------
Here is some preceding text
\medskip
%
   \startnarrower[2*left,2*right]\noindent
   Some quoted text
   \stopnarrower
\medskip

Here is some succeeding text that SHOULD be indented.
--------------------------------------

Note also that the first par in a quote environment should not be indented:

--------------------------------------
Here is some preceding text
%
\startquote

   Some quoted text that should NOT be indented

   Some quoted text  that SHOULD be indented.

\stopquote
%
--------------------------------------

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Best wishes
Idris
--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: quote environment
@ 2002-11-14  2:48 ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-11-14  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

\definestartstop
  [quote]
  [before={\medskip\startnarrower[2*left,2*right]\noindent},
    after={\stopnarrower\medskip\noindent}]

appears to do what I want. So if I skip a line after the stopquote I get the
next line indented. Please feel free to make suggestions/improvements to this
naive definition. For example, will this work after the beginning of a new
section or will the \medskip add too much space?I still don't know how to
verify which \skip the itemize environment uses, and I want my startstopquote
to match the itemize skips.

Best wishes
Idris

--