* suppressing external graphics
@ 2002-11-06 14:49 Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-11-06 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a book-length document with many hi-res graphics. I would like to
omit those graphics in order to make a smaller file to submit to some
proof-readers.

I have tried both: "\setupexternalfigures[option=empty]" and "texexex
--fast". Both give the same result: the graphics are replaced by black
rectangles, but the size of the pdf file is the same as the original
version which included the graphics. (Very large).

Oddly enough, the pdfimages utility will not extract any images from the
"black rectangles" version, leading me to think the graphics are not
really in the pdf file, but I don't know what would be taking up the
same amount of space.

Using:
ConTeXt  ver: 2002.7.26
pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20011114-ojmw-2.1

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame

* Re: suppressing external graphics
@ 2002-11-18 19:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-18 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:49 AM 11/6/2002 -0600, Bill McClain wrote:
>I have a book-length document with many hi-res graphics. I would like to
>omit those graphics in order to make a smaller file to submit to some
>proof-readers.
>
>I have tried both: "\setupexternalfigures[option=empty]" and "texexex
>--fast". Both give the same result: the graphics are replaced by black
>rectangles, but the size of the pdf file is the same as the original
>version which included the graphics. (Very large).
>
>Oddly enough, the pdfimages utility will not extract any images from the
>"black rectangles" version, leading me to think the graphics are not
>really in the pdf file, but I don't know what would be taking up the
>same amount of space.

so, you want to ignore the graphics, even the space they take?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: suppressing external graphics
@ 2002-11-19 12:08   ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-11-19 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 20:47:36 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> so, you want to ignore the graphics, even the space they take?

No, I wanted to leave an empty rectangle in place of each graphic, sized
the same as the original.

(It's not urgent now; I decided to skip that effort).

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Tales of War
http://sattre-press.com/                       by Lord Dunsany

* Re: suppressing external graphics
@ 2002-11-19 14:56   ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2002-11-19 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 08:47:36PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 08:49 AM 11/6/2002 -0600, Bill McClain wrote:
[...]
> >really in the pdf file, but I don't know what would be taking up the
> >same amount of space.
>
> so, you want to ignore the graphics, even the space they take?

I think Bill is talking about disk space, not layout space.

Greetings

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing   There is something fascinating about science. One gets
hannes@ruhrau.de  such wholesale returns of conjecture from such a