From: Simon Pepping <spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl>
Subject: Re: Re[3]: In-paragraph display
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 20:47:12 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 08:18:06PM -0500, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 07:37 PM, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>
> For what it's worth, I agree with Giuseppe here.   It's the same issue
> I had with block quotes: that even if there's no blank line, ConTeXt
> assumes new paragraph.

I agree with Giuseppe and Bruce as well.

A paragraph with a displayed item in the middle, looks different to
the typesetter than to the reader: For the typesetter it consists of
three "display areas". For the reader it consists of a single
paragraph with a part standing out by its layout. The author registers
his intention to consider this as a single paragraph by not issuing
\par commands, not explicitly and no blank lines around the displayed
item.

AFAIK, in HTML such a paragraph is forbidden; a "block item" cannot
contain other "block items".

In LaTeX this situation is handled by the everypar mechanism. The end
of the display environment inserts into everypar a "once only"
noindent command. If the author issues a \par command after the
displayed item, explicitly or by a blank line, the noindent is
consumed by this empty paragraph. The following text will see the
normal everypar, with a normal parindent. It is a fragile mechanism,
and for a class author it is always a problem to get this right. (It
also bluntly resets everypar, thus disabling any other usage of it.) I
am not sure how a \par command before the displayed item is treated.

In context \setupdescriptions has a 'indentnext=no' option. In
DocbookInContext I have tried to use it, in variablelist and
glosslist. I did not see a result.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping