* utf (8)
@ 2002-12-05 11:02 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-05 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I slightly adapted utf 8 support and uploaded a newer version to

http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip

  Also, there is some test material at

http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/beta/unitest.zip

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: utf (8)
@ 2002-12-05 12:27 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-12-05 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 12:02:47 +0100, Hans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I slightly adapted utf 8 support and uploaded a newer version to
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip
>
>   Also, there is some test material at
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/beta/unitest.zip

That's wrong. Should be:

http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/unitest.zip

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: utf (8)
@ 2002-12-05 12:44 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-12-05 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quick but nasty question from me:

What do we do when we run out of internal macro names in the hash?
There are some 100.000-something chars defined in Unicode 3.2, much
more then the available hash space in TeX.

On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 12:02:47 +0100, Hans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I slightly adapted utf 8 support and uploaded a newer version to
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/beta/cont-tmf.zip
>
>   Also, there is some test material at
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/beta/unitest.zip
>
> Hans
>                                    Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
>                        Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>   tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

groeten,

Taco

* Re: utf (8)
@ 2002-12-05 13:21   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-05 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:44 PM 12/5/2002 +0100, you wrote:

>Quick but nasty question from me:
>
>What do we do when we run out of internal macro names in the hash?
>There are some 100.000-something chars defined in Unicode 3.2, much
>more then the available hash space in TeX.

there are several methods:

(1) we don't use a hash, just a fast expandable ifcase, so theoretically
it's only a few hundred entries

(2) optionally (just made it) one can expand such a vector into hashed
values, but this is only interestign when one know what one deals with

(3) just played with an unicode font, and i can even imagine an
auto-split-into ranges and auto fontswitch (kind of fun to try that), i.e.:
a call to a glyph expands into a call to fontname-range + char [of course
this breaks hyphenation, but for a lot of languages this is not an issue]

also,

(4) we have Taco to extend tex to 32 bits -)

@ 2002-12-05 13:39     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-12-05 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (4) we have Taco to extend tex to 32 bits -)

Yeah :)

Actually, my tex.pl toy version does something like this.

It uses [$commandcode,$charcode] as native perl integers, so you can have
31-bit chars and (2^31-325) control sequence names (in case you are wondering:
the first 325 are internal command codes)

--
groeten,

Taco