* DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-08 15:12 Gour
From: Gour @ 2002-12-08 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I'm interested how one can customize output when using DocBookInConTeXt
module?

With XSL DocBook stylesheets, one can pass certain parameters or build his own
customization layer on the stylesheets, and thereby customize output.

In README file it is stated: "The mapping translates the XML file internally to a context ..", so I'm interested (pls. excuse me if it's a stupid question) is
it possible to just convert DocBook input file into ConTeXt format or/and how isone supposed to tailor output according to his/her preferences?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour
gour@mail.inet.hr

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-08 15:32 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-12-08 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, December 8, 2002, at 10:12 AM, Gour wrote:

> it possible to just convert DocBook input file into ConTeXt format
> or/and how isone supposed to tailor output according to his/her
> preferences?

In my little experience with this, it seems you'd want a module (or is
an environment better?) that specifies the formatting for the document
(just as you would for any ConTeXt document).  This works perfectly for
those structures that ConTeXt supports, but not for those that it
doesn't (author, subtitle, abstract, epigraph, etc., etc.).

Bruce

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-08 19:54   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2002-12-08 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce D'Arcus (bdarcus@fastmail.fm) wrote:

> In my little experience with this, it seems you'd want a module (or is
> an environment better?) that specifies the formatting for the document
> (just as you would for any ConTeXt document).  This works perfectly for
> those structures that ConTeXt supports, but not for those that it
> doesn't (author, subtitle, abstract, epigraph, etc., etc.).

I'd like something like:

         dic*
DocBook -------> ConTeXt  ----> output

*dic = DocBookInConTeXt module

which is similar to XSL toolchain:

         xslt            fop
DocBook ------> XSL-FO  -----> output

with the exception that ConTeXt format is more user-friendly & capable than
xsl-fo format, and produces best quality output.

In this way, we have best of both worlds :-) ie. one can use & automatically
process DocBook-authored documents to get high quality.

If it is possible to get ConTeXt *.tex file after processing DocBook *.xml file
with DocBookInConTeXt module (of course, for those structures that are supportedin it), I'd like to know how?

Btw, I consider that providing DocBook (xml) as an input format will bring many
more users to ConTeXt because high-quality output is what prevents many to use
DocBook as an authoring tool (besides those who are rich enough to buy
commercial FO engines - mostly corporate users).

With time, one can also expect that DocBookInConText module will get more users'
input and be able to map more DocBook elements.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

@ 2002-12-08 20:38     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-12-08 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, December 8, 2002, at 02:54 PM, Gour wrote:

> If it is possible to get ConTeXt *.tex file after processing DocBook
> *.xml file
> with DocBookInConTeXt module (of course, for those structures that are
> supportedin it), I'd like to know how?

I think we'd need to use XSLT to get that.  My understanding is that
the module simply tells ConTeXt how to process the DocBook code.
Maybe someone will correct me though...

This is why I posted the note about tbook; thinking perhaps the XSL
files from that project -- or from a similar project for DocBook that I
vaguely remember -- could be tweaked to output ConTeXt code...

Bruce

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-08 20:46   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-08 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:32 AM 12/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sunday, December 8, 2002, at 10:12 AM, Gour wrote:
>
>>it possible to just convert DocBook input file into ConTeXt format or/and
>>how isone supposed to tailor output according to his/her preferences?
>
>In my little experience with this, it seems you'd want a module (or is an
>environment better?) that specifies the formatting for the document (just
>as you would for any ConTeXt document).  This works perfectly for those
>structures that ConTeXt supports, but not for those that it doesn't
>(author, subtitle, abstract, epigraph, etc., etc.).

the best way is to map docbook things onto configurable context commands
(i'll something like that with tei); once the docbook module is ready for
such an overhaul, i'll look into it. [this is normally the way we map xml
to tex; it gives you reasonable defaults, but complete configurability;
time ...]

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-08 20:48       ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2002-12-08 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce D'Arcus (bdarcus@fastmail.fm) wrote:

> I think we'd need to use XSLT to get that.  My understanding is that
> the module simply tells ConTeXt how to process the DocBook code.
> Maybe someone will correct me though...

In that case, without direct DocBook support in ConTeXt, I assume it would be
more useful to have module just output ConTeXt code which can be further
customized.

> This is why I posted the note about tbook; thinking perhaps the XSL
> files from that project -- or from a similar project for DocBook that I
> vaguely remember -- could be tweaked to output ConTeXt code...

The only thing is that tbook does the opposite - it converts tbook code into
DocBook :-(

Sincerely,
Gour

--

@ 2002-12-08 21:09         ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-12-08 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, December 8, 2002, at 03:48 PM, Gour wrote:

>> This is why I posted the note about tbook; thinking perhaps the XSL
>> files from that project -- or from a similar project for DocBook that
>> vaguely remember -- could be tweaked to output ConTeXt code...
>
> The only thing is that tbook does the opposite - it converts tbook
> code into
> DocBook :-(

Well, it converts to LaTeX, XHTML and DocBook.  In theory, then, you
could modify the LaTeX XSLT files to output ConTeXt.  Since you are
interested in DocBook authoring, perhaps you could look at something
similar with this:

http://db2latex.sourceforge.net/

Bruce

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-08 21:14           ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2002-12-08 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce D'Arcus (bdarcus@fastmail.fm) wrote:

> Well, it converts to LaTeX, XHTML and DocBook.  In theory, then, you
> could modify the LaTeX XSLT files to output ConTeXt.  Since you are
> interested in DocBook authoring, perhaps you could look at something
> similar with this:
>
> http://db2latex.sourceforge.net/

I know about this one. It is used as a frame for db2lyx stylesheets.

However, seeing that LyX is going nowhere with XML, and because of many
problems with clashing of LaTeX packages (and because I see the latest utf-8
support in ConTeXt), I'm definitely going ConTeXt way :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

@ 2002-12-08 21:16     ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2002-12-08 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen (pragma@wxs.nl) wrote:

> the best way is to map docbook things onto configurable context commands
> (i'll something like that with tei); once the docbook module is ready for
> such an overhaul, i'll look into it. [this is normally the way we map xml
> to tex; it gives you reasonable defaults, but complete configurability;
> time ...]

That will be great!!

Patience, patience .. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

@ 2002-12-09 20:09     ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-12-09 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 08:54:29PM +0100, Gour wrote:
> I'd like something like:
>
>          dic*
> DocBook -------> ConTeXt  ----> output
>
> *dic = DocBookInConTeXt module

It is like you say at the top, but the context document is built on
the fly, i.e., it only exists in memory, and it never exists in its
entirety. It may be better to think of the XML file as the input file
for context. This is possible because the < is an active character
that invokes macro processing. Context's XML layer enables the
conversion author to write a mapping from XML tag to context commands:
when that tag is read, the corresponding context commands are invoked.

As Hans replies in a later email in this thread, the best strategy is
to map to existing context environments. I have done this as much as
possible. Then you can customize that environment after reading the
docbook module but before the XML file is input.

For example, docbook tables are typeset using context's 'natural
table' environment. So, if you would set
\setupTABLE[background=color,backgroundcolor=red], you would get that
(according to theory, I still have to test that).

I test the docbook module with a tex file containing the following
lines after inputing the docbook module:

\setupinteraction[state=start,color=blue]
\setupindenting[medium]
\setupheadertexts[section][pagenumber]
\setupheader[leftwidth=.7\hsize,style=slanted]
\setuppagenumbering[location=]
\setupitemize[each][packed][before=,after=,indentnext=no]

The table element also shows that you cannot arbitrarily customize the
output. The docbook module reads the colspec and col- and rowsep
settings from the table in the XML file, and applies the appropriate
settings, thus overwriting your settings. In this case that is
appropriate, because the XML file has priority over your settings.

I will try to document the customization options for the docbook
module somewhere after Christmas.

> which is similar to XSL toolchain:
>
>          xslt            fop
> DocBook ------> XSL-FO  -----> output
>
> with the exception that ConTeXt format is more user-friendly & capable than
> xsl-fo format, and produces best quality output.

I am not sure that this is a good parallel. FO's are not customizable;
the XSLT stylesheets may be. And context could serve as the FO
processor, by the same mechanism of a mapping of FO's to context, if
someone would write it. That is what PassiveTeX does for latex.

> With time, one can also expect that DocBookInConText module will get more users'
> input and be able to map more DocBook elements.

That would be welcome.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
email: spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-10 16:53       ` Gour
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Gour @ 2002-12-10 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Pepping (spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl) wrote:

> It is like you say at the top, but the context document is built on
> the fly, i.e., it only exists in memory, and it never exists in its
> entirety. It may be better to think of the XML file as the input file
> for context. This is possible because the < is an active character
> that invokes macro processing. Context's XML layer enables the
> conversion author to write a mapping from XML tag to context commands:
> when that tag is read, the corresponding context commands are invoked.

It would be nice to just have an ability to output context's "on-the-fly"
document.

> I will try to document the customization options for the docbook
> module somewhere after Christmas.

That would be very hlepful.

> > which is similar to XSL toolchain:
> >
> >          xslt            fop
> > DocBook ------> XSL-FO  -----> output
> >
> > with the exception that ConTeXt format is more user-friendly & capable than
> > xsl-fo format, and produces best quality output.
>
> I am not sure that this is a good parallel. FO's are not customizable;
> the XSLT stylesheets may be. And context could serve as the FO
> processor, by the same mechanism of a mapping of FO's to context, if
> someone would write it. That is what PassiveTeX does for latex.

I agree it's not the best parallel, but there is lot of space to customize
XSLT stylesheets which produce FO file.

The point is that the first diagram should look like:

         dic            ConTeXt
DocBook -------> *.tex  --------> output

The point is clear: allow users which use DocBook, as an authoring tool, to havebenfit of Con(TeX)t typeset engine.

I hoped that LyX would go this route to extend its usage for XML (DocBook), but
at the moment developers are too occupied by GUI stuff.

TeX & ConTeXt are great but they have some learning curve for average users, but
by enabling DocBook authors to produce high-quality PDFs with some reasonable
defaults, plus the ability to customize the output for power users (like XSLT
DocBook customization layer), I'm sure it will drastically increase number of
ConTeXt users and provide to new perspective to TeX publishing in general.

The similar thing will happen with latest Hans' development and providing utf-8
support.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

@ 2002-12-10 17:04         ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-12-10 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 11:53 AM, Gour wrote:

> TeX & ConTeXt are great but they have some learning curve for average
> users, but
> by enabling DocBook authors to produce high-quality PDFs with some
> reasonable
> defaults, plus the ability to customize the output for power users
> (like XSLT
> DocBook customization layer), I'm sure it will drastically increase
> number of
> ConTeXt users and provide to new perspective to TeX publishing in
> general.
>
> The similar thing will happen with latest Hans' development and
> providing utf-8
> support.

I agree all of these developments are really good things!

For it to me more flexible and accessible, the end point ought to be
(and I'm pretty sure it is):

1)  Simon's project is more-or-less complete (as in, it supports most
commonly used structures in DocBook, and does it reliably).

2)  Hans adds the additional structures perviously discussed to
ConTeXt, and provides standard modules for books and articles.

3)  There is an easy way to run ConTeXt on a DocBook file and to have a
switch for the formatting module, perhaps with options...

Bruce

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-10 17:49         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-10 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 05:53 PM 12/10/2002 +0100, you wrote:

> > I am not sure that this is a good parallel. FO's are not customizable;
> > the XSLT stylesheets may be. And context could serve as the FO
> > processor, by the same mechanism of a mapping of FO's to context, if
> > someone would write it. That is what PassiveTeX does for latex.
>
>I agree it's not the best parallel, but there is lot of space to customize
>XSLT stylesheets which produce FO file.

i will look into that later; if fo's got implemented, they will definitely
be configurable (beyond what fo currently offers)

@ 2002-12-11 20:46         ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-12-11 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 05:53:08PM +0100, Gour wrote:
> Simon Pepping (spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl) wrote:
> The point is that the first diagram should look like:
>
>          dic            ConTeXt
> DocBook -------> *.tex  --------> output
>

> The point is clear: allow users which use DocBook, as an authoring
> tool, to havebenfit of Con(TeX)t typeset engine.

That is against the idea; the tex document never exists really.

I admit that formatting a document via environments that only exist on
the fly and that you never get to see, is cumbersome, and for many
users a no-go. Perhaps it may be made possible to write the generated
commands to a tex file instead of executing them, although that will
not be easy to achieve. It would help users to debug their
customization.

It would also help them to maintain the bad habit of always going the
route of the explicit tex document and editing that.  Such a bad habit
would turn a process that is fast and efficient, into a process that
is cumbersome and awkward.

Regards, Simon

--

@ 2002-12-12 10:34           ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2002-12-12 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Pepping (spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl) wrote:

> It would also help them to maintain the bad habit of always going the
> route of the explicit tex document and editing that.  Such a bad habit
> would turn a process that is fast and efficient, into a process that
> is cumbersome and awkward.

I must admit that I don't understand why having tex document is a bad habit?

Those who are authoring in ConTeXt (not DocBook) have source file (*.tex)
and they can tailor output according to their preferences.

Otoh, DocBook document does not say much about the form - it's just a valid
structure and therefore there are XSL stylesheets to enable one to customize
his/her output. Without that, all the DocBook documents will look the same.

So, I don't know what's wrong with the idea to customize the output when going
via ConTeXt route :-[

Sincerely,
Gour

--

@ 2002-12-12 11:41             ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-12-12 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 05:34 AM, Gour wrote:

> Otoh, DocBook document does not say much about the form - it's just a
> valid
> structure and therefore there are XSL stylesheets to enable one to
> customize
> his/her output. Without that, all the DocBook documents will look the
> same.
>
> So, I don't know what's wrong with the idea to customize the output
> when going
> via ConTeXt route :-[

?

As was already explained (a few times):

You customize output just as you customize ANY ConTeXt output.  There's
no need for a tex output file.

Bruce

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-12 12:31               ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2002-12-12 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce D'Arcus (bdarcus@fastmail.fm) wrote:

> As was already explained (a few times):
>
> You customize output just as you customize ANY ConTeXt output.  There's
> no need for a tex output file.

Ahh.. It seems that we have communication breakdown.

When I say "*.tex" I mean ConTeXT input file, not TeX file and what I would like
is that DocBookInConTeXt module produce valid ConTeXt file which is the result
of applying mapping from DocBook to ConTeXt, ie. physical file not on-the-fly
converting.

The whole meaning of using ConTeXt (or LaTeX) is to avoid direct TeX typesetting
and makes process easier, so I definitely never though about TeX output file.

And the question remains: how to customize output when the translation is done
internally?

Sincerely,
Gour

ps. It seems I'm too stupid at the moment to understand the issue :-((

--

@ 2002-12-12 13:29                 ` scarso luigi
From: scarso luigi @ 2002-12-12 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

From my point of view, i see DocBookInConTeXt/ConTeXt as a
XML(DocBook compliant document) => pdf
converter, as FOP, ie

+----+           +----------+        +----+
|XML | --------> |FOP engine|------->| PDF|
|doc |           +----------+        +----+
|Book|             ^
+----+             |
                 +-------+
                 |XSL doc|
                 +--------

+----+           +----------+        +----+
|XML | --------> |ConTeXt   |------->| PDF|
|doc |           +----------+        +----+
|Book|             ^
+----+             |
                 +----------------+
                 |DocBookInConTeXt|
                 +----------------+

With same input, the output should be the same.

Hence, the only way to specify formatting informations
must be in a xml docbook document, not manipulating intermediate
stylesheets that will corrupt the portability of a document.

So i think that our efforts must be in direction to implement
docbook semantic by DocBookInConTeXt for ConTeXt engine.

For simon:
I just started to study <table> env. in DBinConTeXt, so
what about <colspec> and <spanspec> ?

luigi

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-12 13:49                   ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-12-12 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 08:29 AM, scarso luigi wrote:

> Hence, the only way to specify formatting informations
> must be in a xml docbook document, not manipulating intermediate
> stylesheets that will corrupt the portability of a document.

Maybe I misunderstand, but I don't agree.  You code for structure in
DocBook, but you need the formatting handled externally: in a CSS file
for HTML, and a ConTeXt environment/module (I'm not clear on the
difference) for PDF via ConTeXt.  If not, you lose flexibility.

Like I say, though, perhaps I am missing your point...

Bruce

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-12 14:22                     ` scarso luigi
From: scarso luigi @ 2002-12-12 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Il gio, 2002-12-12 alle 14:49, Bruce D'Arcus ha scritto:

> On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 08:29 AM, scarso luigi wrote:
>
> > Hence, the only way to specify formatting informations
> > must be in a xml docbook document, not manipulating intermediate
> > stylesheets that will corrupt the portability of a document.
>
> Maybe I misunderstand, but I don't agree.  You code for structure in
> DocBook, but you need the formatting handled externally: in a CSS file
> for HTML, and a ConTeXt environment/module (I'm not clear on the
> difference) for PDF via ConTeXt.  If not, you lose flexibility.

The module is xtag-docbook-literals-en.tex ( DocBookInConTeXt in my
draw)

luigi

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-12 20:05                   ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-12-12 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 02:29:30PM +0100, scarso luigi wrote:
> I just started to study <table> env. in DBinConTeXt, so
> what about <colspec> and <spanspec> ?

table(frame,colsep,rowsep), tgroup(align,colsep,rowsep),
thead(align,colsep,rowsep), tbody(align,colsep,rowsep),
tfoot(align,colsep,rowsep), colspec(colnum,align,colsep,rowsep),
row(rowsep), entry(align,colsep,rowsep) all work.

spanspec is not implemented. It is not in the soext table and so is
considered to be outside the always implemented set of elements.

Regards, Simon

--

@ 2002-12-12 20:11                     ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-12-12 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 08:49:50AM -0500, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Thursday, December 12, 2002, at 08:29 AM, scarso luigi wrote:
>
> >Hence, the only way to specify formatting informations
> >must be in a xml docbook document, not manipulating intermediate
> >stylesheets that will corrupt the portability of a document.
>
> Maybe I misunderstand, but I don't agree.  You code for structure in
> DocBook, but you need the formatting handled externally: in a CSS file
> for HTML, and a ConTeXt environment/module (I'm not clear on the
> difference) for PDF via ConTeXt.  If not, you lose flexibility.

I agree with this point of view: formatting preferences are expressed
by customizing style sheets. I will do my best to enable context's
customizations in the docbook module. But it remains a virtual
exercise: you customize a TeX file that is never written out. For
experienced context users that may be easy. For others that is not a
trivial task: They must visualize a file in a language that they do
not know well. (In FO it is a bit the same; you do not usually see the
FO file, although you can.)

Regards, Simon

--

@ 2002-12-13 12:57                       ` scarso luigi
From: scarso luigi @ 2002-12-13 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I agree with this point of view: formatting preferences are expressed
> by customizing style sheets.

Maybe an example can help: <imagedata> has width and height attributes
that are, in my point of view, formatting preferences:  a user should be
use these and not manipulate the style sheet (for example by imposing a
fit for every image in the style sheet).

But, again for example, variations like bold etc are not into semantic
of docbook: a xml document can use proc.instructions
or role attr. (ex. <para role="bold" >) to carry this informations to
(ConTeXt) engine, but they
still remains specific for that engine with a style sheet and there are
no guarantees  that they will be understand by a different engine.

This actually is a limit of docbook in portability : if a user make a
xml document with a bold specification in somepoint (with role or
proc.instr.)  he may expect that bold will be renderer by every engine,
but it's not true.

Perhaps the questions is how to fill the empties in docbook (infact, we
have got xml element for sectioning, tables, images etc) by a simple way
for a normal user or, put in another way, if a feature is in xml DocBook
you should be use it, if no ask yourself if it's needed and, if yes use
a xml construct (from a standard set)  to signalling this to ConTexT
engine; but in the last case you loose portability.

or not ?

luigi

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-13 14:32                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-13 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:57 PM 12/13/2002 +0100, scarso luigi wrote:

>Perhaps the questions is how to fill the empties in docbook (infact, we
>have got xml element for sectioning, tables, images etc) by a simple way
>for a normal user or, put in another way, if a feature is in xml DocBook
>you should be use it, if no ask yourself if it's needed and, if yes use
>a xml construct (from a standard set)  to signalling this to ConTexT
>engine; but in the last case you loose portability.

a nice example is sectioning:

you can map 'somedocbooksection' onto 'section', but better is to do something

   \definesection[dbksection][section]

and map 'somedocbooksection' onto 'dkbsection'

the advantage is that one can promote dbksection to chapter of degrade it
to subsubsubsection, which is handy if you combine multiple docbooks into one.

@ 2002-12-17 20:54                         ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-12-17 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 01:57:21PM +0100, scarso luigi wrote:
> > I agree with this point of view: formatting preferences are expressed
> > by customizing style sheets.
>
> But, again for example, variations like bold etc are not into semantic
> of docbook: a xml document can use proc.instructions
> or role attr. (ex. <para role="bold" >) to carry this informations to
> (ConTeXt) engine, but they
> still remains specific for that engine with a style sheet and there are
> no guarantees  that they will be understand by a different engine.

I did not know what to do with such attributes as role, whose range of
values is not constrained. Luigi's remark gives me an idea: I should
put a hook in the stylesheet for the user's own formatting
command. Something like \attributeaction[para][role]. The user could
define such an action with something like
\defineXMLattributeaction[para][role].

The attribute action should be invoked within a group in order to
allow the user to change fonts etc. for this element. Therefore
context cannot invoke the attribute action automatically, because it
cannot know where it should do so. For example, some mappings for the
opening tag invoke \egroup; if the attribute action had been invoked
automatically, its scope would be ended immediately.

Groeten, Simon

--

@ 2002-12-18 17:42                           ` scarso luigi
From: scarso luigi @ 2002-12-18 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I did not know what to do with such attributes as role, whose range of
> values is not constrained. Luigi's remark gives me an idea: I should
> put a hook in the stylesheet for the user's own formatting
> command. Something like \attributeaction[para][role]. The user could
> define such an action with something like
> \defineXMLattributeaction[para][role].
>
> The attribute action should be invoked within a group in order to
> allow the user to change fonts etc. for this element. Therefore
> context cannot invoke the attribute action automatically, because it
> cannot know where it should do so. For example, some mappings for the
> opening tag invoke \egroup; if the attribute action had been invoked
> automatically, its scope would be ended immediately.
When I just start to play with xml/context, I realize a test for table
(i'm still playing with it) in which I write something like

<!-- ... other elements -->
<row>
<entry role="setupentry[nx=2,background=color,backgroundcolor=red]">
blahh blahh
</entry>
<!-- ... other elements -->
</row>
<!-- ... other elements -->

and define

\defineXMLpickup [entry] [role=]%
%%Open tag
{\expanded{\beforesplitstring{\XMLpar{entry}{role}{}}}\at [\to\Type%
% get  ..options..]
\expanded{\aftersplitstring{\XMLpar{entry}{role}{}}}\at
[\to\rawOptions%
% get  ..options..
\expanded{\beforesplitstring{\rawOptions}}\at ]\to\Options%
\doifelse{\Type}{setupentry}%
{%then
\expanded{\bTD[\Options]}
}{%else
\bTD%
}}%
%%Close tag
{\eTD}

Is your way, Simon ?

* Re: DocBookInConTeXt customization?
@ 2002-12-18 19:56                             ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-12-18 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 06:42:00PM +0100, scarso luigi wrote:
> When I just start to play with xml/context, I realize a test for table
> (i'm still playing with it) in which I write something like

> <!-- ... other elements -->
> <row>
> <entry role="setupentry[nx=2,background=color,backgroundcolor=red]">
> blahh blahh
> </entry>
> <!-- ... other elements -->
> </row>
> <!-- ... other elements -->
>
> and define
>
> \defineXMLpickup [entry] [role=]%
> %%Open tag
> {\expanded{\beforesplitstring{\XMLpar{entry}{role}{}}}\at [\to\Type%
> % get  ..options..]
> \expanded{\aftersplitstring{\XMLpar{entry}{role}{}}}\at
> [\to\rawOptions%
> % get  ..options..
> \expanded{\beforesplitstring{\rawOptions}}\at ]\to\Options%
> \doifelse{\Type}{setupentry}%
> {%then
> \expanded{\bTD[\Options]}
> }{%else
> \bTD%
> }}%
> %%Close tag
> {\eTD}
>
> Is your way, Simon ?

I remember this discussion. This is not my kind of XML file, the
attribute value is too much written for context. It is useful if it is
meant to be an input file for Context, but it is not useful if the XML
file is meant to be formatter independent. And I think the code you
have to write to use the attribute is too difficult as a user option.

I was thinking more about the simple example <para type="rule"> and a
simple user command like

\defineattributeaction[para][type]
  {\doifsamestring{\XMLpar{para}{type}{}}{bold}{\bfa}}

Regards, Simon

--

@ 2002-12-19  8:34                             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-19  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 06:42 PM 12/18/2002 +0100, you wrote:

><entry role="setupentry[nx=2,background=color,backgroundcolor=red]">

a fuzzy way of using attributes

how about using pi's:

\starttext

\startXMLdata
<?context-message hello world >
<?context-command \wait >
<?context-command test \bf test >
<?context-begingroup >
<?context-endgroup >
\stopXMLdata

\stoptext

@ 2002-12-19 12:54                               ` scarso luigi
From: scarso luigi @ 2002-12-19 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I was thinking more about the simple example <para type="rule"> and a
> simple user command like
>
> \defineattributeaction[para][type]
>   {\doifsamestring{\XMLpar{para}{type}{}}{bold}{\bfa}}

I agree with you and Hans (use of processing-instructions); my code is a
dirty trick for last-minute corrections

luigi