* chinese font setup
@ 2002-12-15  7:56 Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2002-12-15  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

A few weeks back, there was a short exchange on this list regarding utilities
for preparing chinese fonts for ConTeXt.  One of the postings provided a link
to some new utilities.  I've since downloaded the file there
(gbkfonts-linux-0.2.tar.gz) but am unsure as to how to proceed.  If anyone
with experience in this area could provide some advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt

--
------------------------------------
Matthew Huggett

Hiratsuka-shi, Kanagawa-ken
Japan

mhuggett@zam.att.ne.jp

* Re: chinese font setup
@ 2002-12-15 14:46 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-15 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:56 PM 12/15/2002 +0900, you wrote:
>A few weeks back, there was a short exchange on this list regarding utilities
>for preparing chinese fonts for ConTeXt.  One of the postings provided a link
>to some new utilities.  I've since downloaded the file there
>(gbkfonts-linux-0.2.tar.gz) but am unsure as to how to proceed.  If anyone
>with experience in this area could provide some advice, I'd appreciate it.

i suggest that you contact:

   Cho, Jin-Hwan < chofchof@ktug.or.kr>
   Lei Wang       <wanglei@sbcglobal.net>

they probably can help you out; the best way to solve these problems is to
make sure that on the next tex-live the right resources / tools (font
splitters and so) are distributed as well.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: chinese font setup
@ 2002-12-15 18:03 ` Michael Na Li
From: Michael Na Li @ 2002-12-15 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Matthew Huggett told this:

>  A few weeks back, there was a short exchange on this list regarding
>  utilities for preparing chinese fonts for ConTeXt.  One of the postings
>  provided a link to some new utilities.  I've since downloaded the file
>  there (gbkfonts-linux-0.2.tar.gz) but am unsure as to how to proceed.  If
>  anyone with experience in this area could provide some advice, I'd
>  appreciate it.

Have you got any Chinese fonts that work for ConTeXt?  If not, you can try,
ftp.ctex.org to get some fonts.  There is no need to use gbkfonts.

For simplified chinese, you can,

1. Get the truetype fonts, htfs.ttf, hthei.ttf, htkai.ttf and htsong.ttf from
   ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/ttf/.

2. Get corresponding tfm file, gbfs.zip, gbhei.zip, gbkai.zip and gbsong.zip
   from ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/for_pdftex/tfm.

3. Get the enc file, Gbk.zip from
   ftp://ftp.ctex.org/pub/tex/fonts/truetype/for_pdftex/enc_map.

4. Get the map file, map.zip, from above location.

Then read the mchinese.pdf, put those files in the right location and you can
then process Chinese in context (to produce pdf file).

The above procedure works because those fonts have already been defined in
font-chi.tex.

However, I have trouble installing new Chinese fonts.  I got fzhcjw.ttf,
ran 'gbkfonts -name fzhc -prefix gbk fzhcjw.ttf fzhc' which resulted in
the tfm, enc and map files, as well as pfb for use with dvips.  It also
generated a fd file for use with LaTeX.  I can then use the font with
CJK-LaTeX.  But I can't use it in ConTeXt.  I tried,

\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoRegular] [gbkfzhc]   [encoding=gbk]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoSlanted] [gbkfzhcsl] [encoding=gbk]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoItalic]  [gbkfzhcsl] [encoding=gbk]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoBold]    [gbkfzhc]   [encoding=gbk]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoBoldSlanted][gbkfzhcsl][encoding=gbk
]
\definefontsynonym [SimplifiedChineseHangCaoBoldItalic] [gbkfzhcsl][encoding=gbk
]
\defineunicodefont [SimHangCao]  [SimplifiedChineseHangCao] [chinese]

Then when I tried to use \SimHangCao I was told that it is undefined command.
The other fonts in the font-chi file, such as \SimFangSong etc, do work.

Any suggestions?

Michael

Michael Na Li
Email: lina@u.washington.edu
Department of Biostatistics, Box 357232
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195

* Re: chinese font setup
@ 2002-12-15 23:35   ` Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2002-12-15 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael, thanks very much for this.  Your links are helpful as I wasn't able
to download the files suggested in the mchinese.pdf because I couldn't log on
to TurboLinux's ftp server.

--
--------------------------------------
Matthew Huggett

* Re: chinese font setup
@ 2002-12-16 14:41   ` Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2002-12-16 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday 15 December 2002 23:46, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >A few weeks back, there was a short exchange on this list regarding
> > utilities for preparing chinese fonts for ConTeXt.  One of the postings
> > provided a link to some new utilities.  I've since downloaded the file
> > there
> >(gbkfonts-linux-0.2.tar.gz) but am unsure as to how to proceed.  If anyone
> >with experience in this area could provide some advice, I'd appreciate it.
>
> i suggest that you contact:
>
>    Cho, Jin-Hwan < chofchof@ktug.or.kr>
>    Lei Wang       <wanglei@sbcglobal.net>
>
> they probably can help you out; the best way to solve these problems is to
> make sure that on the next tex-live the right resources / tools (font
> splitters and so) are distributed as well.

Well I got a chinese pdf easily enough with help from Michael Na Li and Lei
Wang.  It seems that a few people have had trouble with the tools referenced
in mchinese.pdf , so would it help if I put together a short howto, at least
for the simplified chinese true type fonts that I'm using?  I think for
novice users this might be helpful, as I would not have found the easy route
that I did without pointers from Michael Na Li.

Matt