* typescripts, bodyfonts, hanging puncuation
@ 2002-12-27 15:52 Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-12-27 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need a clue, please. I don't understand the relation between
typescripts for font definitions and bodyfonts or bodyfontenvironments.
I began with typescripts when I started using Context and never learned
much about the underlying mechanism. I've studied "Fonts in Context"
(mfonts.pdf), but I still don't get it.

I define typescripts for my fonts. They have no size specification. I
understand that when I declare something like:

    \definetypeface [Sabon] [rm] [serif] [sabon] [default]
[encoding=texnansi]

that typescript "[serif] [default] [size]" in type-siz.tex will be used
for the size info, but I don't know what that gets me. That typescript
has:

    \definebodyfont
        [4pt,5pt,6pt,7pt,8pt,9pt,10pt,11pt,12pt,14.4pt,17.3pt]
        [rm] [default]

I don't know what that list of sizes means. I can use \setupbodyfont and
\switchtobodyfont to specify any arbitary full or fractional point size
and all works well.

But: now and then I hit a problem which is caused by missing definitions
of some sort. For example, the hanging punctuation in this job:

    \usetypescriptfile[type-sabon]
    \usetypescript [serif] [hanging] [sabon]
    \usetypescript[Sabon]
    \setupbodyfont[Sabon,9pt]
    \setupalign[hanging]
    \showframe

    \starttext
    \dorecurse{5}{\input knuth \input tufte }
    \par
    \stoptext

Note that I have the typescript "[serif] [hanging] [sabon]" and it
declares the hanging parameters.

With 9pt: no hanging. But it does work if I specify 12pt, 10pt, 8pt, or
even 9.1pt. What is special about 9pt? I presume I should be specifying
size info somewhere, but I don't what or where.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                The King in Yellow
http://sattre-press.com/                 by Robert W. Chambers

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-12-27 15:52 UTC | newest]