* a recent change in double-sided pagination?
@ 2002-12-29 17:49 Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-12-29 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems that the behaviour of
\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided] has changed in the last
couple of months. Jobs that once correctly produced an even count of
pages now produce an odd count. In viewing a two-page spread in Acrobat,
the first page is correctly a right-hand page, but the last page is a
bogus one, also a right-hand page. The document should end on the left.

I'm using ConTeXt  ver: 2002.12.20 from the beta download page.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                            Curiosities of the Sky
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Garrett Serviss

* Re: a recent change in double-sided pagination?
@ 2002-12-29 20:27 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-29 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:49 AM 12/29/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>It seems that the behaviour of
>\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided] has changed in the last
>couple of months. Jobs that once correctly produced an even count of
>pages now produce an odd count. In viewing a two-page spread in Acrobat,
>the first page is correctly a right-hand page, but the last page is a
>bogus one, also a right-hand page. The document should end on the left.
>I'm using ConTeXt  ver: 2002.12.20 from the beta download page.

there has been some discussion about this unwanted 'extra page' and the
automatism behind it; if you want an even number, you can force it:

\setuppagenumbering[option=doublesided]

\starttext

\dorecurse{11}{test \page} \page[empty,odd]  % or without empty if you want
a page number

\stoptext

should this be an option to \setuppagenumbering?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: a recent change in double-sided pagination?
@ 2002-12-30 16:00   ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-12-30 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:27:48 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> there has been some discussion about this unwanted 'extra page' and
> the automatism behind it; if you want an even number, you can force
> it:
>
> \setuppagenumbering[option=doublesided]

I missed that discussion. I still have the problem. It happens when I
use \startbodymatter...\stopbodymatter:

\setuppagenumbering
    [option=doublesided,
     alternative=doublesided]
\starttext
\startbodymatter
\dorecurse{5}{\input tufte\par \input knuth\par}
\stopbodymatter
\stoptext

In my experiments I have not yet been able to force an even number of
pages.

There is an easy work-around for me: use --pdfselect or \filterpages to
trim off the last page.

Note: the reason I am so fussy about this is that I am dealing with a
printer service bureau which needs the document "just so."

> should this be an option to \setuppagenumbering?

I don't know. It is something I need in all my big projects. Would
\setuplayout be more logical? I have no strong preference as long as I
have a way. Fixing up the doc with --pdfselect is good enough for now.

-Bill