* texexec returns 1 when generating format file
@ 2003-01-03 18:48 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-01-03 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXt hackers,

when issuing the command 'texexec --make --alone en' the cont-en
format gets generated. Everything is nice except that texexec returns
status code "1", which on unix systems means failure. Is there any way
to get a "0"?

Patrick

* Re: texexec returns 1 when generating format file
@ 2003-01-03 20:10 ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2003-01-03 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 07:48:02PM +0100, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Dear ConTeXt hackers,
>
> when issuing the command 'texexec --make --alone en' the cont-en
> format gets generated. Everything is nice except that texexec returns
> status code "1", which on unix systems means failure. Is there any way
> to get a "0"?

For me it returns 0, as expected.

However, browsing through texexec I see this:

sub RunOneFormat
  { my ($FormatName) = @_ ;
    my @TeXFormatPath ;
    my $TeXPrefix = "" ;
    if (($fmtutil ne "")&&($FormatName !~ /metafun|mptopdf/io))
{ ... } # use fmtutil
    else
      { $Problems = 1 }
    if ($Problems)
{ ... } # call initex directly

# in the main routine
if ($Problems) { exit 1 }

Making a format runs RunOneFormat, and it may be that setting
$Problems and hence returning a positive value is a side effect of not
using fmtutil.

In RunOneFormat, change the line
        system ( $cmd ) ;
in the
     if ($Problems)
branch to
        $Problems = system ( "$cmd" ) ;
and see if it changes things.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
email: spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl

* Re: texexec returns 0 when generating format file
@ 2003-01-03 21:38   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-01-03 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Pepping <spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl> writes:

Good evening,

>> when issuing the command 'texexec --make --alone en' the cont-en
>> format gets generated. Everything is nice except that texexec returns
>> status code "1", which on unix systems means failure. Is there any way
>> to get a "0"?
>
> For me it returns 0, as expected.

even with the --alone?

> Making a format runs RunOneFormat, and it may be that setting
> $Problems and hence returning a positive value is a side effect of not
> using fmtutil.

That was exactly the problem. I am not using fmtutil (since I use the
switch --alone) and therefore $Problems is set to 1.

>         $Problems = system ( "$cmd" ) ;
> and see if it changes things.

It did and thank you. Could this (or anything like this) go into
distribution?

Patrick