* pdf from pstric module
@ 2003-01-08 18:26 Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2003-01-08 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Two questions about the m-pstric.tex file (version=1997.01.15).

1) When I try to use pstricks to generate a pdf file it stops when it
tries to run dvips. It seems that it tries to run dvips without the -o
flag. That works very well in Windows, but in Linux it will be sent to
the standard printer and not to a .ps file that way (by default. When
commenting out the o |lpr in config.ps it all works), so there is an
error. The -o flag works in windows too (If my memory isn't to bad). So
if there is a way to add that flag I would be happy. Adding the flags
-G0 -Ppdf would be great to I think. That is, the command should be
something like
dvips -G0 -Ppdf file(.dvi) -o (file.ps)

(where the things in () can be left out).

2) I also see in the m-pstric.tex file that only multido, pstricks and
pst-plot are loaded. Is there a way to make it an option what packages
to load. There are alot of nice pstrick packages I think
(pst-3d,pst-fill,pst-char and so on...)

For LaTeX users there is also a pst-all.sty that easily loads all
pstricks packages. A similar pst-all.tex or an option to load them all
would also be nice.

Regards, Micke P

* Re: pdf from pstric module
@ 2003-01-09  8:24 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-09  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 07:26 PM 1/8/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>dvips -G0 -Ppdf file(.dvi) -o (file.ps)

so, there should be:

\immediate\write18{dvips -G0 -Ppdf \bufferprefix pstricks -o}%

actually, ps2pdf should also be replaced (will do that later)

>(where the things in () can be left out).
>
>2) I also see in the m-pstric.tex file that only multido, pstricks and
>pst-plot are loaded. Is there a way to make it an option what packages
>to load. There are alot of nice pstrick packages I think
>(pst-3d,pst-fill,pst-char and so on...)
>
>For LaTeX users there is also a pst-all.sty that easily loads all
>pstricks packages. A similar pst-all.tex or an option to load them all
>would also be nice.

How does that list look?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: pdf from pstric module
@ 2003-01-09  8:53   ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2003-01-09  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:24:33 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 07:26 PM 1/8/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >dvips -G0 -Ppdf file(.dvi) -o (file.ps)
>
> so, there should be:
>
> \immediate\write18{dvips -G0 -Ppdf \bufferprefix pstricks -o}%

That looks good. I tried to change that and run a file that should
produce a pdf but I got the same error again though. Do I have to
refresh some files or so?

(It really isn't a problem for me anymore since I have changed the
default output from dvips to be a .ps file now, but since the default
value is to send it to the lpr printer other users who haven't done this
change will still have the problem)

> actually, ps2pdf should also be replaced (will do that later)
>
> >(where the things in () can be left out).
> >
> >2) I also see in the m-pstric.tex file that only multido, pstricks
> >and pst-plot are loaded. Is there a way to make it an option what
> >packages to load. There are alot of nice pstrick packages I think
> >(pst-3d,pst-fill,pst-char and so on...)
> >
> >For LaTeX users there is also a pst-all.sty that easily loads all
> >pstricks packages. A similar pst-all.tex or an option to load them
> >all would also be nice.
>
> How does that list look?
>
> Hans

It seems that the list is (according to the files in my
/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/pstricks/ dir)

multido.tex
pst-3d.tex
pst-blur.tex
pst-char.tex
pst-coil.tex
pst-eps.tex
pst-fill.tex
pst-ghsb.tex
pst-gr3d.tex
pst-grad.tex
pst-key.tex
pst-node.tex
pst-plot.tex
pst-poly.tex
pst-slpe.tex
pst-text.tex
pst-tree.tex
pstricks.tex

===========
This is how the pst-all.sty looks like here:
cat /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/pstricks/pst-all.sty

\ProvidesPackage{pst-all}[1997/03/25 all pstricks tools]
% this loads the color package and pstricks in the right order
\usepackage{pstcol}             % Require a color.cfg file defined
\usepackage{pst-grad}
\usepackage{pst-plot}
\usepackage{pst-coil}
\usepackage{pst-text}
\usepackage{pst-char}
\usepackage{pst-node}
\usepackage{pst-3d}
\usepackage{pst-eps}
\usepackage[tiling]{pst-fill}
\usepackage{pst-tree}
\usepackage{multido}
\endinput

============

Micke P

* Re: pdf from pstric module
@ 2003-01-09 11:34 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-01-09 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 18:26, Mikael Persson wrote:
> Hi
>
> Two questions about the m-pstric.tex file (version=1997.01.15).
The Context archive I use (maintained by Gunter Partosch) is currently
unavailable. And I do not find documentation on my system concerning
m-pstric. So is there a howto or even an email that gives the
particulars?

(Hans, you will recall I suggested a facility like this many moons
ago. My name is quoted in the source code, which does not mean that I am
smart enough to understand it :)
--

John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters

* Re: pdf from pstric module
@ 2003-01-12 12:30     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-12 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:53 AM 1/9/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>That looks good. I tried to change that and run a file that should
>produce a pdf but I got the same error again though. Do I have to
>refresh some files or so?

strange, can you make me a minimal test file?

It seems that the list is (according to the files in my
>/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/pstricks/ dir)
>
>multido.tex
>pst-3d.tex
>pst-blur.tex
>pst-char.tex
>pst-coil.tex
>pst-eps.tex
>pst-fill.tex
>pst-ghsb.tex
>pst-gr3d.tex
>pst-grad.tex
>pst-key.tex
>pst-node.tex
>pst-plot.tex
>pst-poly.tex
>pst-slpe.tex
>pst-text.tex
>pst-tree.tex
>pstricks.tex

are you sure that these additions don't conflict? if you have tested it for
some time we can add something to the module

@ 2003-01-13 17:04       ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2003-01-13 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:30:19 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 09:53 AM 1/9/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >That looks good. I tried to change that and run a file that should
> >produce a pdf but I got the same error again though. Do I have to
> >refresh some files or so?
>
> strange, can you make me a minimal test file?

Since I updated to the latest beta today I cant reproduce it. Thats very
strange. Anyways, It now works with the -G0, -Ppdf and -o options as it
is now. Great!

> It seems that the list is (according to the files in my
> >/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/pstricks/ dir)
> >
> >multido.tex
> >pst-3d.tex
> >pst-blur.tex
> >pst-char.tex
> >pst-coil.tex
> >pst-eps.tex
> >pst-fill.tex
> >pst-ghsb.tex
> >pst-gr3d.tex
> >pst-grad.tex
> >pst-key.tex
> >pst-node.tex
> >pst-plot.tex
> >pst-poly.tex
> >pst-slpe.tex
> >pst-text.tex
> >pst-tree.tex
> >pstricks.tex
>
> are you sure that these additions don't conflict? if you have tested
> it for some time we can add something to the module

I am not really sure, but the pst-all.sty file (which loads all pstricks
packages) looks like this:
===========
\ProvidesPackage{pst-all}[1997/03/25 all pstricks tools]
% this loads the color package and pstricks in the right order
\usepackage{pstcol}             % Require a color.cfg file defined
\usepackage{pst-grad}
\usepackage{pst-plot}
\usepackage{pst-coil}
\usepackage{pst-text}
\usepackage{pst-char}
\usepackage{pst-node}
\usepackage{pst-3d}
\usepackage{pst-eps}
\usepackage[tiling]{pst-fill}
\usepackage{pst-tree}
\usepackage{multido}
\endinput
===========

And that comment seems to me that if one loads the packages in that
order it will work. In princip the only thing every single package does
is \input-ing the .tex file, i.e. pst-char.sty looks like this:

\ProvidesPackage{pst-char}[1997/03/25 package wrapper for PSTricks
\input pst-char.tex
\endinput

There is one exeption. The pst-fill packages also does
\def\PstTiling{true} when loaded with the option [tiling].

I think the packages can be added so people can try it out and see if
they work together.

Regards, Micke P