* Typesetting Russian
@ 2003-01-14  4:09 Pavel Stupin
From: Pavel Stupin @ 2003-01-14  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Is it possible to typeset Russian texts in ConTeXt?  I guess, the
answer is  'yes', but I  just don't  know how to  do that. Please
advise me.

Thank you in advance.

Best wishes,
Pavel.

* Re: Typesetting Russian
@ 2003-01-14 16:56 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-14 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:09 PM 1/14/2003 +0800, Pavel Stupin wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Is it possible to typeset Russian texts in ConTeXt?  I guess, the
>answer is  'yes', but I  just don't  know how to  do that. Please
>advise me.

the answer is indeed yes, but for this you will need

(1) fonts
(2) a proper encoding
(3) to set up a few labels and so

i'll send you some files i have on my machine from a context user i lost
track of, maybe you can take a look and finish things

do you know of any free type 1 cyrilic fonts?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Typesetting Russian
@ 2003-01-15 16:01   ` Pavel Stupin
From: Pavel Stupin @ 2003-01-15 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:56:29 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> i'll send you some files i have on my machine from a context user i
> lost track of, maybe you can take a look and finish things

Thank you. I installed the files, and now I can typeset russian.
That's great.

> do you know of any free type 1 cyrilic fonts?

Yes.
I am aware of 2 font packages:

1) cm-super-fonts:

ftp://ftp.altlinux.ru/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/Sisyphus/SRPMS.classic/cm-super-fonts-0.3.3-alt6.src.rpm

2) pscyr fonts:

http://www.tex.uniyar.ac.ru/package/fonts/pscyr/

Also,  several   free  type  1   cyrilic  fonts  are   available  at
http://vedi.d-s.ru/fonts.htm

BTW, I  used pscyr fonts with  LaTeX. What should be done  to use
them with ConTeXt?

Best wishes,
Pavel.

* Re: Typesetting Russian
@ 2003-01-15 16:04   ` Pavel Stupin
From: Pavel Stupin @ 2003-01-15 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-01-15 17:05     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-15 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:01 AM 1/16/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:56:29 +0100
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>

> > i'll send you some files i have on my machine from a context user i
> > lost track of, maybe you can take a look and finish things
> >

>Thank you. I installed the files, and now I can typeset russian.
>That's great.

Without any changes? Good, so it can go into the distribution?

>1) cm-super-fonts:
>
>ftp://ftp.altlinux.ru/pub/distributions/ALTLinux/Sisyphus/SRPMS.classic/cm-super-fonts-0.3.3-alt6.src.rpm

too big

>2) pscyr fonts:
>
>http://www.tex.uniyar.ac.ru/package/fonts/pscyr/

will look into it

>Also,  several   free  type  1   cyrilic  fonts  are   available  at
>http://vedi.d-s.ru/fonts.htm

have to learn reading russian first

@ 2003-01-16  7:49       ` Pavel Stupin
From: Pavel Stupin @ 2003-01-16  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:05:11 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Without any changes? Good, so it can go into the distribution?

Yes, w/o any changes.

I copied cont-usr.tex to
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-usr.ori,
moved  all other  files to  the same  directory, then  'texhash',
'texexec --make',  again 'texhash'. That's all. I didn't  do much
testing,  but  'texexec  sample.tex'  gives  me  sample.dvi  with
Russian letters.

Best wishes,
Pavel.