* Error running metapost
@ 2003-02-01 18:11 Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2003-02-01 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

after installing the latest beta I tried to compile my old sources, but
the metapost pass called from within a pdfetex run stopped with the
error message:

! Equation cannot be performed (numeric=boolean).
<to be read again>
                   ;
l.24 spotcolors := true ;

Looking at the mpgraph file I see the following line:

if unknown context_spec : input mp-spec ;
fi ;

and in my version of mp-spec spotcolors is declared to be boolean.
Indeed, when I run 'mpost filename-mpgraph' I get no error message
and all mp-* files are included.

Any hint on where context_spec et al are set?

Groet

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing   There is something fascinating about science. One gets
hannes@ruhrau.de  such wholesale returns of conjecture from such a

* Re: Error running metapost
@ 2003-02-03 15:17 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-03 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 07:11 PM 2/1/2003 +0100, Johannes Hüsing wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>after installing the latest beta I tried to compile my old sources, but
>the metapost pass called from within a pdfetex run stopped with the
>error message:
>
>! Equation cannot be performed (numeric=boolean).
><to be read again>
>                    ;
>l.24 spotcolors := true ;
>
>Looking at the mpgraph file I see the following line:
>
>if unknown context_spec : input mp-spec ;
>fi ;
>
>and in my version of mp-spec spotcolors is declared to be boolean.
>Indeed, when I run 'mpost filename-mpgraph' I get no error message
>and all mp-* files are included.
>
>Any hint on where context_spec et al are set?

(1) from now on, context's mp files are under /metapost/context/base, so
remove any file in the parent path
(2) did you make the metafun format (normally texexec --make --alone does
the job)
(3) looks like a mismatch between context (more recent) and older mp code

[btw, spot colors are discussed in the new color manual]

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Error running metapost
@ 2003-02-05  5:42   ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2003-02-05  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> [/7785/Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 04:17:06PM +0100]:
> (1) from now on, context's mp files are under /metapost/context/base, so
> remove any file in the parent path

I have read that much, but after unzipping this archive (cont-tmf.zip with
an MD% sum of 9c35ee4da8259cd231717a0ca321d472) the files are in
metapost/context, but not in metapost/context/base. Shall I create the
directory and move the files manually?

> (2) did you make the metafun format (normally texexec --make --alone does
> the job)

Yes.

> (3) looks like a mismatch between context (more recent) and older mp code

I must admit that I installed the new cont-tmf.zip over the old one
without uninstalling the old first. But there is no mp code that wasn't
overwritten.

Greetings

Johannes
--

@ 2003-02-05  8:26     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-05  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 06:42 AM 2/5/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> [/7785/Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 04:17:06PM +0100]:
> > (1) from now on, context's mp files are under /metapost/context/base, so
> > remove any file in the parent path
>
>I have read that much, but after unzipping this archive (cont-tmf.zip with
>an MD% sum of 9c35ee4da8259cd231717a0ca321d472) the files are in
>metapost/context, but not in metapost/context/base. Shall I create the
>directory and move the files manually?

not needed, as long as you don't get duplicates

> > (2) did you make the metafun format (normally texexec --make --alone does
> > the job)
>
>Yes.
>
> > (3) looks like a mismatch between context (more recent) and older mp code
> >

>I must admit that I installed the new cont-tmf.zip over the old one
>without uninstalling the old first. But there is no mp code that wasn't
>overwritten.

strange then, was a new metafun format generated?

@ 2003-02-05 21:37       ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2003-02-05 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> [/165/Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 09:26:29AM +0100]:
[...]

@ 2003-02-09  5:42         ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2003-02-09  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johannes Hüsing <hannes@ruhrau.de> [/225/Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:37:32PM +0100]:
> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> [/165/Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 09:26:29AM +0100]:
> [...]
> > strange then, was a new metafun format generated?
>
> Yes.

... but I hadn't put it in the correct place! Thanks to Patrick, things work
now.

Sorry for molesting you

Johannes