From: Simon Pepping <spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl>
Subject: Re: Re: ConTeXt beta installation issue
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:54:47 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:11:33AM +0100, Gerben Wierda wrote:
> Whatever install_context.pl does, it seems to override PATH (another
> pdfetex on your system is found, not likely) or KPSE settings from
> /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf in such a way that TeX stops working.
>
> Probably it tries to do some guessing itself instead of relying on
  ????????
> existing settings. What might influence this is that my setup separates
> the texmf part that is related to binaries (like pool files that change
> when binary versions change) and the stuff that is the fondation (like
> ConTeXt, LATeX, etc). /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf starts with:

It does its utmost to get all its information from kpathsea. I find
its integration with kpathsea its nicest feature.

> >% $VARTEXMF is where texconfig writes its local settings
> >VARTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL

I would not like this. TEXMFLOCAL should survive through upgrades of
the distribution, VARTEXMF should not.

> If you send me the script I can have a quick look at it.

www.hobby.nl/~scaprea/context/install_context.pl

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping