* Floats in Columnsets
@ 2003-03-19 11:57 Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2003-03-19 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Sir Hagen,

I know you are writing the complete manual for the columnsets, nonetheless I
dare to bother you in advance. What are options for telling floats to what
column, line and page they should go? I hade some examples from you, but I
lost it when my harddisc crashed. Can you help me?

Many thanks and greetings,
Michal Kvasnicka

* Re: Floats in Columnsets
@ 2003-03-19 17:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-19 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:57 PM 3/19/2003 +0100, Michal Kvasnicka wrote:
>Dear Sir Hagen,
>
>I know you are writing the complete manual for the columnsets, nonetheless I
>dare to bother you in advance. What are options for telling floats to what
>column, line and page they should go? I hade some examples from you, but I
>lost it when my harddisc crashed. Can you help me?

\placefloat[btrl]{caption}{figure}

btlr == flush from bottom to top starting in the left column going to the
right

you can deduce the rest of the flushers from this;

then there is 'here' fixd' as well as 'fxtb:2' for something in the second
column as well as fxtb:2*3' for something in column 2 row 3

that's about it; spanning happens automatically (also over spreads if
needed) (there are special commands for spreads and so)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Floats in Columnsets
@ 2003-03-20 11:32   ` Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2003-03-20 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Many thanks. It's wonderfull. I'm looking forward to the day when columns
could be ballanced. Then I'll reset our church bulletin to it and will use
much more pictures.

With best regards
Michal Kvasnicka

Dne st 19. březen 2003 18:08 Hans Hagen napsal(a):
> At 12:57 PM 3/19/2003 +0100, Michal Kvasnicka wrote:
> >Dear Sir Hagen,
> >
> >I know you are writing the complete manual for the columnsets, nonetheless
> > I dare to bother you in advance. What are options for telling floats to
> > what column, line and page they should go? I hade some examples from you,
> > but I lost it when my harddisc crashed. Can you help me?
>
> \placefloat[btrl]{caption}{figure}
>
> btlr == flush from bottom to top starting in the left column going to the
> right
>
> you can deduce the rest of the flushers from this;
>
> then there is 'here' fixd' as well as 'fxtb:2' for something in the second
> column as well as fxtb:2*3' for something in column 2 row 3
>
> that's about it; spanning happens automatically (also over spreads if
> needed) (there are special commands for spreads and so)
>
> Hans

>                                    Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
>                        Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>   tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* Re: Floats in Columnsets
@ 2003-12-07 12:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-12-07 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 00:50 07/12/2003, you wrote:
>It appears as though \placefigure doesn't work very well with columnsets
>if the size of the floats isn't an exact multiple of the underlying
>grid. More precisely, \placefigure and friends, when used with any of
>the *tb and tb* options (tblr, tbrl, lrtb, rltb, fxtb) snap the bottom
>of the figure to the grid rather than the top. Of course, that means
>that most of the time figures will not be aligned at the top. (See below
>for an example.)
>
>Does anybody know of a fix or workaround for this problem?

These things have to do with the fact that captions should snap on the
grid; however, you can influence things by setting the grid parameter for a
float instance. More on that in details.pdf.

Also the next version has a grid key in \externalfigure which can snap
scaling to combinations of (height div lineheight) * lines + [0,1] * depth
+ [0,1] * height which in combination with the float grid options can give
you whatever you want.

Hans

PS. Grid snapping introduced quite some border cases and a lot of effort
has gone into providing control over that. An associated new feature is a
yet to be documented  and for the moment experimental graphic/background
synchronization mechanism.

* Floats in Columnsets
@ 2003-12-06 23:50 Reimer Behrends
From: Reimer Behrends @ 2003-12-06 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

It appears as though \placefigure doesn't work very well with columnsets
if the size of the floats isn't an exact multiple of the underlying
grid. More precisely, \placefigure and friends, when used with any of
the *tb and tb* options (tblr, tbrl, lrtb, rltb, fxtb) snap the bottom
of the figure to the grid rather than the top. Of course, that means
that most of the time figures will not be aligned at the top. (See below
for an example.)

Does anybody know of a fix or workaround for this problem?

			Reimer Behrends

\showframe
\showgrid
\setuplayout[
   backspace=0.75in,topspace=0.75in,
   width=7.0in,height=9.5in,
   header=0.0in,footer=0.35in]
\setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\definecolumnset[two][n=2,distance=12pt]

\def\myfig#1{\placefigure[tblr]{none}{
\framed[offset=6pt,width=broad,align=right]{
\switchtobodyfont[10pt]

}}}
\setupbodyfont[12pt]
\starttext
\startcolumnset[two]
\myfig{\input knuth}
\dorecurse{3}{\input knuth}\myfig{\input tufte}
\stopcolumnset
\stoptext