* db2context package - beta release
@ 2003-03-21 16:11 Gour
From: Gour @ 2003-03-21 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXt users,

I'm happy to be able to announce first beta release of db2context
package.

What is db2context?

Db2context package transforms your SGML/XML DocBook documents to DVI, PostScript or PDF
by translating them in ConTeXt as a first process using XSLT processor.

Unlike DocBookInConteXt package which transform DocBook source document
on-the-fly, db2context packages uses XSLT as a transformation language
to convert DocBook source document into ConTeXt document which can be
further customized using all the available ConTeXt commands.

You can download the first beta release from the Sourceforge.
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/dblatex).

The author of the package is Nicolas Marsgui
(marsgui@users.sourceforge.net), but since he is not subscribed to the
ConTeXt mailing list you can also post your feedback and/or wishes to my
email address.

Eagerly awaiting your feedback in order to improve db2context.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour
gour@mail.inet.hr

* Re: db2context package - beta release
@ 2003-03-22 13:19 ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2003-03-22 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

So you have gone XSLT. It certainly is a powerful tool to deal with
the complicated Docbook DTD and files. One has complete access to the
elements of the files, and XSLT is a powerful transformation language.

I am not quite sure if XSLT is more suitable than Context mapping. I
think that the more complicated the DTD and the files are, the more
advantage there is in using XSLT. So Docbook is a good candidate.

Good luck with it.

Regards, Simon

email: spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl

@ 2003-03-22 20:06   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2003-03-22 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Pepping (spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl) wrote:

> So you have gone XSLT. It certainly is a powerful tool to deal with
> the complicated Docbook DTD and files. One has complete access to the
> elements of the files, and XSLT is a powerful transformation language.

Actually I just inspired Nicolas to make db2context since I saw his
db2latex package (clone of the original db2latex), and I'm trying to
help him with my "knowledge" about ConTeXt.

> I am not quite sure if XSLT is more suitable than Context mapping. I
> think that the more complicated the DTD and the files are, the more
> advantage there is in using XSLT. So Docbook is a good candidate.

What I like with XSLT is that the user get ConTeXt source which can be
further manipulated and we are thinking about providing some
customization layer by using many parameters available within ConTeXt
setup commands.

However, it would be helpful to get the feedback from experienced
ConTeXt users so that the transformation from DocBook elements into ConTeXt
commands take advantage of poweful ConTeXt's commands.

> Good luck with it.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Sincerely,
Gour