* about encodings and fonts
@ 2003-04-20  8:15 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2003-04-20  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ConTeXticians,

I'm new to ConTeXt, after almost two years of experience with LaTeX, and also new to the list. I use W98SE as aperitif
system and the MikTeX total distribution.

My questions are rather simple:

-which command should be invoked to set the input enconding to utf-8 (if this is possible)?

-how can I make that the output is generated using T1 fonts? I mean the ConTeXt equivalence to LaTeX \usepackage
[T1]
{fontenc}.

-after above questions, I'd like to know whether it is any kind of documentation that explains ConTeXt to LaTeX users.

-I don't know why, but my ConTeXt installation seems not to be able to use another font than cm. (I know that MikTeX
has change the font map maintenance file early this year.) Is it required to install the fonts 'twice': once for the TeX system
and another time for ConTeXt? (I mean, what am I doing wrong?)

-after having read the mtexfont.pdf, I wonder whether it is possible to use TrueType fonts directly with ConTeXt? (I'm
mainly interested in Unicode fonts that also have
Greek and polytonic Greek, which I also need to use.)

Thanks for all,

Pablo

* Re: about encodings and fonts
@ 2003-04-22 12:12 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-04-22 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@web.de> writes:

Hi,

> -how can I make that the output is generated using T1 fonts? I mean the ConTeXt equivalence to LaTeX \usepackage
> [T1]
> {fontenc}.

You can switch to ec encoding by

\setupencoding [default=ec]

This should give you fonts in T1 encoding (what are T1-fonts?)

> -after above questions, I'd like to know whether it is any kind of
> documentation that explains ConTeXt to LaTeX users.

Berend de Boer has written a very good document "LaTeX in proper
ConTeXt". Don't have the URL here, sorry. I guess, you can find
Berends page trough the pragma-ade.com website (other users) or via
google.

> -I don't know why, but my ConTeXt installation seems not to be able to use another font than cm. (I know that MikTeX
> has change the font map maintenance file early this year.) Is it required to install the fonts 'twice': once for the TeX system
> and another time for ConTeXt? (I mean, what am I doing wrong?)

See http://levana.de/context/   and there the "typescript
adobekb". Please write back if this is not working.

Sorry I can't comment on your other questions.

Patrick

* Re: about encodings and fonts
@ 2003-04-22 14:14 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2003-04-22 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 10:15:41 +0200
Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@web.de> wrote:

> -after having read the mtexfont.pdf, I wonder whether it is possible
> to use TrueType fonts directly with ConTeXt?

I show how to define TrueType fonts for pdftex at:

   http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/context-help.html

ConTeXt itself doesn't know or care about the font file format.

The page also covers other font issues that may be of interest to you.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame

* Re: Re: about encodings and fonts
@ 2003-04-22 14:46   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-22 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 14:12 22/04/2003 +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> > -after above questions, I'd like to know whether it is any kind of
> > documentation that explains ConTeXt to LaTeX users.
>
>Berend de Boer has written a very good document "LaTeX in proper
>ConTeXt". Don't have the URL here, sorry. I guess, you can find
>Berends page trough the pragma-ade.com website (other users) or via
>google.

there is also Gunter's side by side overview (last dante meeting he gave a
talk about this) but somehow i cannot locate his email address/website (and
the search engine of http://www.uni-giessen.de is not working currently)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* TeXcalc version 0.2
@ 2003-04-22 14:52   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2003-04-22 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Some of you may remember that, a long time ago, I wrote a silly
perlTk script to convert TeX units (in fact, it is still somewhere
on the context web pages as a third-party contribution).

Not long afterwards, I though that it would be nice to have a
real calculator for TeX sizes etc, So I extended that program to
TeXCalc, a stack-based calculator for TeX (written in perl/Tk)
Not at all long after that, I completely forgot about it :-)

I just did a bit of cleanup of my harddisk, and re-discovered it.
After just a little bit of code cleanup, the little program is on the
web now, as a direct download from:

	http://tex.aanhet.net/utils/texcalc

Note: the URL is the actual file! depending on your operating system,
you may have to press Shift while loading the URL or something similar.

Blurb:

--
TeXCalc 0.2, (c) 2001-2003 Taco Hoekwater.

This little program is a stack-based calculator for units. By coincidence,
it uses the exact same units as D.E.Knuth's TeX program. The program uses
a reverse polish interface: first you key in the data, followed by the
command. This version is a beta (big surprise!) If you see something that
you don't like or if you find a bug, feel free to email me:
taco@elvenkind.com
--

Requirements: perl and perlTk.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: Re: about encodings and fonts
@ 2003-04-22 15:35     ` Gert Ingold
From: Gert Ingold @ 2003-04-22 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> there is also Gunter's side by side overview (last dante meeting he gave a
> talk about this) but somehow i cannot locate his email address/website (and
> the search engine of http://www.uni-giessen.de is not working currently)

see <http://www.uni-giessen.de/partosch/TeX/ConTeXt-LaTeX>.

Regards,
Gert

--
 Gert-Ludwig Ingold               |
 Institut fuer Physik             | email: Ingold@Physik.Uni-Augsburg.DE

WWW homepage: http://www.physik.uni-augsburg.de/theo1/ingold

* Re: Re: about encodings and fonts
@ 2003-04-22 16:32       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-22 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 17:35 22/04/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> > there is also Gunter's side by side overview (last dante meeting he gave a
> > talk about this) but somehow i cannot locate his email address/website
> (and
> > the search engine of http://www.uni-giessen.de is not working currently)
> >

>see <http://www.uni-giessen.de/partosch/TeX/ConTeXt-LaTeX>.

thanks for locating it, i added Gunters pag eto the link pages on our website

(there's also an xml tutorial there)