* Strange error while generating format
@ 2003-04-28 23:32 Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2003-04-28 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, all--

I am trying to set up a new version of ConTeXt (the latest stable
version, I guess? I downloaded it from Pragma ADE yesterday). But when I
run 'texexec --make en' I get the following error:

 (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/page-imp.tex
 system (E-TEX) : [line 736] \dimexpr
 ! Undefined control sequence.
 l.743 \setuppaper

 ?

I say this is strange because I'm sure \setuppaper is defined--and if it
weren't, surely it would have been noticed and corrected by now. I think
all ConTeXt files are in their proper places ... at least, they are in
the same places they were in a previous working installation.

Some pertinent facts:

  TeX distribution: teTeX 1.0.2
  Major addons: pTeX 2.0  (but as far as I know this doesn't replace
      core files)
  Platform: Debian GNU/Linux 3.0

Maybe the files are getting loaded in the wrong order? But I can't think
of any reason why that might happen. Or have I missed some important
step?

P.S.: I think there's something missing from the installation guide
(minstall.pdf): teTeX users may need to edit $TEXMF/web2c/fmtutil.cnf in
order to enable texexec to find 'cont-*.ini'.

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Re: Strange error while generating format
@ 2003-04-29 18:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-29 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 17:32 28/04/2003 -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
>Hello, all--
>
>I am trying to set up a new version of ConTeXt (the latest stable
>version, I guess? I downloaded it from Pragma ADE yesterday). But when I
>run 'texexec --make en' I get the following error:
>
>  (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/page-imp.tex
>  system (E-TEX) : [line 736] \dimexpr
>  ! Undefined control sequence.
>  l.743 \setuppaper
>
>  ?
>
>I say this is strange because I'm sure \setuppaper is defined--and if it
>weren't, surely it would have been noticed and corrected by now. I think
>all ConTeXt files are in their proper places ... at least, they are in
>the same places they were in a previous working installation.
>
>Some pertinent facts:
>
>   TeX distribution: teTeX 1.0.2
>   Major addons: pTeX 2.0  (but as far as I know this doesn't replace
>       core files)
>   Platform: Debian GNU/Linux 3.0
>
>Maybe the files are getting loaded in the wrong order? But I can't think
>of any reason why that might happen. Or have I missed some important
>step?

setuppaper is indeed defined,

   page-lay.tex: \def\setuppaper[#1]%

so, something is wrong; maybe deleting the base path and unzipping again
works; to be sure i'll upload a new beta

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Strange error while generating format
@ 2003-04-29 21:56   ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2003-04-29 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 08:15:50PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> > (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/page-imp.tex
> > system (E-TEX) : [line 736] \dimexpr
> > ! Undefined control sequence.
> > l.743 \setuppaper
> >
> > ?

> >Maybe the files are getting loaded in the wrong order? But I can't think
> >of any reason why that might happen. Or have I missed some important
> >step?
>
> setuppaper is indeed defined,
>
>   page-lay.tex: \def\setuppaper[#1]%
>
> so, something is wrong; maybe deleting the base path and unzipping again
> works; to be sure i'll upload a new beta

Okay, I deleted the files are re-unzipped--same error. Then I tried the
new beta--same error. This is very odd.

However, I tried the new stable package on another machine, where I have
had the same version of teTeX installed for several months, and did not
get the same error. So evidently there's something wrong with my TeX
configuration on the new machine. I wish I could figure out what it is.

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Problem solved (was Re: Strange error while generating format)
@ 2003-05-02 23:34     ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2003-05-02 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 03:56:04PM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:

> > > (/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/page-imp.tex
> > > system (E-TEX) : [line 736] \dimexpr
> > > ! Undefined control sequence.
> > > l.743 \setuppaper
> > >
> > > ?

> > >Maybe the files are getting loaded in the wrong order? But I can't think
> > >of any reason why that might happen. Or have I missed some important
> > >step?
> >
> > setuppaper is indeed defined,
> >
> >   page-lay.tex: \def\setuppaper[#1]%
> >
> > so, something is wrong; maybe deleting the base path and unzipping again
> > works; to be sure i'll upload a new beta
>
> Okay, I deleted the files are re-unzipped--same error. Then I tried the
> new beta--same error. This is very odd.

Well, it turns out this was just a dumb mistake on my part. A few months
ago I wanted to experiment with modifications to 'page-lay.tex,' so I
had a copy of the old version in my /usr/local/share/texmf tree, which
comes before the main distribution in $TEXMF.

So, apologies for troubling everybody.