* selecting encoding for Unicode
@ 2003-05-03 12:44 Gour
From: Gour @ 2003-05-03 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I have problem in displaying characters which are not in default ConTeXt
encoding, eg. amacron, Amacron, Imacron, imacron ..

My input is utf-8 and converted to ConTeXt with dbcontext package.

In ConTeXt file I have:

\chardef\utfunihashmode=1 and

\enableregime[utf]

and everything is fine, except that I don't know how to switch encoding to Unicode,
so that the characters which are defined in e.g. \unic-001.tex can be displayed.

I have tried with \useencoding [uc] but it doesn't work.

However, when I put {\amacron} it is properly displayed - I conclude
that ConTeXt understands the glyph name, but when it has to decode the
same character as utf-8, it doesn't recognize it.

Any hint?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour
gour@mail.inet.hr

* Re: selecting encoding for Unicode - solved
@ 2003-05-03 14:29 ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2003-05-03 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gour (gour@mail.inet.hr) wrote:

Pls. excuse me for repyling on my own post :-(

My own stupidity.

I saw in log file that \utfunifontglyph macro is not expanding
properly, ie. doesn't find correct glyphname (amacron & Amacron) and I
added definitions for them in unic-001.tex, but I didn't notice that
Hans made two versions, and the 2nd version was still without required
char definiton.

Now, everything is fine - I'm writing in DocBook using utf-8, convert
documents to ConTeXt and customize them before producing output -
typesetter's dream :-))

Thank you Hans for giving us ConTeXt!

Sincerely,
Gour

--

@ 2003-05-09 20:26   ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2003-05-09 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 04:29:18PM +0200, Gour wrote:
> Gour (gour@mail.inet.hr) wrote:
>
> Pls. excuse me for repyling on my own post :-(
>
> My own stupidity.
>
> I saw in log file that \utfunifontglyph macro is not expanding
> properly, ie. doesn't find correct glyphname (amacron & Amacron) and I
> added definitions for them in unic-001.tex, but I didn't notice that
> Hans made two versions, and the 2nd version was still without required
> char definiton.

As you noticed, unicode support is far from complete; many unicode
vectors are still empty or have gaps. It is a lot of work to fill
them. IMHO this can best be done using Sebastian Rahtz's work,
unicode.sty and ucharacters.sty. Meanwhile it is useful to report any
additions you may work out, for inclusion in the distribution.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
email: spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl

* Re: selecting encoding for Unicode - solved
@ 2003-05-13  8:29     ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2003-05-13  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Pepping (spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl) wrote:

> As you noticed, unicode support is far from complete; many unicode
> vectors are still empty or have gaps. It is a lot of work to fill
> them. IMHO this can best be done using Sebastian Rahtz's work,
> unicode.sty and ucharacters.sty. Meanwhile it is useful to report any
> additions you may work out, for inclusion in the distribution.

Yes, it is lot of work but it is rewarding - no more fiddling with many
encodings :-)

In this case, it was simple, the unic-001.tex now looks like that:

%D Faster, watch how we avoid zero and \TEX's
%D automatically added \type {\relax}.

\startunicodevector 1
  \expandafter\strippedcsname
  \ifcase\numexpr(#1+1)\or
% this line is commented    \unknownchar   \or
% as well as this one  \unknownchar   \or
    \Amacron       \or  %this one is added
    \amacron       \or  % as well as this one
    \Abreve        \or
    \abreve        \or
   . . .

After checking with some other characters, I can post the whole file ready to use with
Western Sanskrit diacritics (not Devanagari).

Sincerely,
Gour