* some questions on fonts
@ 2003-05-04 14:46 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2003-05-04 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXticians,

I'm learning to use ConTeXt and the main problems I have with ConTeXt are related to fonts.

I need to use utf-8 for my documents, since it is the proper way to handle polytonic Greek, Spanish and German in a
single document without having to use strange input methods. I was told that it is possible to use utf-8 in ConTeXt
(although Greek isn't defined for utf-8 yet), but I don't know how to enable this feature. Which command can I use utf-8 in
my documents? (I know \enableregime, but it doesn't work with option unicode).

Another problem is the fontencoding: I'd like to use the cm-super fonts, but if I try to use \setupencoding[default=ec] I get
a recursive error with some documents (but this is probably due to the wrong document syntax) or the document fonts are
the standard cm fonts in OT1 encoding, what is probably related to the last problem.

I cannot invoke other fonts than \setupbodyfont[ber,pos]. I use the MikTeX total distribution and with pdfLaTeX all
installed fonts work fine. With ConTeXt if I use \setupbodyfont[palatino], either  I get an error from maketfm that doesn't
know how to make ec-uplr8a or in other documents the variant palatino for bodyfont seems to be unknown. I'm extremely
confused about how ConTeXt works with the installed fonts (probably I don't have the required knowledge to understand
it) and actually I don't know how LaTeX mangages the available fonts, but it works.

The above question is not how to install new fonts or even how ConTeXt manages fonts. The only thing I'd appreciate
to know is the most simple procedure to invoke each installed font on my TeX distribution within ConTeXt.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo

* Re: some questions on fonts
@ 2003-05-07 18:47 ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2003-05-07 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo Rodriguez (oinos@web.de) wrote:

> I'm learning to use ConTeXt and the main problems I have with ConTeXt are
> related to fonts.

I'm still new, but maybe I can help you a bit.

> I need to use utf-8 for my documents, since it is the proper way to handle
> polytonic Greek, Spanish and German in a single document without having to
> use strange input methods. I was told that it is possible to use utf-8 in
> ConTeXt (although Greek isn't defined for utf-8 yet), but I don't know how to
> enable this feature. Which command can I use utf-8 in my documents? (I know
> \enableregime, but it doesn't work with option unicode).

I use following:

\chardef\utfunihashmode=1
\enableregime [utf]

and it works nicely with cmr fonts. For the rest wait for some other ConTeXt font guru :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour
gour@mail.inet.hr

* Re: some questions on fonts
@ 2003-05-09 20:37   ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2003-05-09 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 08:47:27PM +0200, Gour wrote:
> Pablo Rodriguez (oinos@web.de) wrote:
>
> > I need to use utf-8 for my documents, since it is the proper way to handle
> > polytonic Greek, Spanish and German in a single document without having to
> > use strange input methods. I was told that it is possible to use utf-8 in
> > ConTeXt (although Greek isn't defined for utf-8 yet), but I don't know how to
> > enable this feature. Which command can I use utf-8 in my documents? (I know
> > \enableregime, but it doesn't work with option unicode).
>
> I use following:
>
> \chardef\utfunihashmode=1
> \enableregime [utf]

Indeed, the regime corresponds to the file encoding you use, which is
utf-8, and not to the fact that you use unicode (you do not; you use
TeX, which does not use unicode as its internal encoding).

> and it works nicely with cmr fonts. For the rest wait for some other ConTeXt font guru :-)

That is not me, but I believe you should use

\setupencoding[default=ec]

which makes you use fonts with ec font-encoding, and

\usetypescript [berry] [\defaultencoding]

which translates the font names to the Berry font names. With these
two you probably get the ec fonts. To get postscript fonts you have to
do more. See earlier discussions on this list, and links to Patrick
Gundelach's web site that were published then.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
email: spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl