* digits
@ 2003-05-17 22:13 Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-05-17 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

In response on all this decimal discussions i posted a new magazine
(mag-0003) about a feature that is maybe unknown.

[btw, it is no problem to make digit handling language dependent, at least
the presets; math/physics is another thing and needs more discussion]

[i had also planned to upload a new beta but my internet connection is too
slow today; adsl in a couple of month]

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: digits
@ 2003-05-18  6:16 ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2003-05-18  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 12:13:37AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> In response on all this decimal discussions i posted a new magazine
> (mag-0003) about a feature that is maybe unknown.

Hans, thank you for your (as always) minimal response time. I had a
quick glance at the mag, and two thoughts came to my mind:

- Of course, I want to use a different seperator combination than
	available with the predefined modes. Others will have yet more
	different wishes. So when it comes to implementing a higher-level user
	interface one day, it may be better to make thousands and decimal
	seperators definable seperately instead of numbering all possible
	combinations

- At the same point, please don't forget about that customization of the
	space between number and unit...

> [btw, it is no problem to make digit handling language dependent, at least
> the presets; math/physics is another thing and needs more discussion]

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't want function names to be
language dependent. Concerning scientific language, a common
international set of names / symbols is a progress. Maybe not on the
common speech level, but which ordinary human being uses mathematics,
anyway ;-)
Ok, seriously, as far as German is concerned, I think we are quite happy
without internationalization for math / physics. On the other hand, I am
neither a mathematician nor a physicist, so there may be things I can't
even think of.

--
Eckhart

* Re: digits
@ 2003-05-18 20:34 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-05-18 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> In response on all this decimal discussions i posted a new magazine
> (mag-0003) about a feature that is maybe unknown.

Great! That reads easier than the module documentation of the source.... :-)
Willi

* Re: digits
@ 2003-05-19  8:15 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2003-05-19  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 18 May 2003 00:13:37 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> In response on all this decimal discussions i posted a new magazine
> (mag-0003) about a feature that is maybe unknown.

where can i find this magazine (and all the others)?

Thanks.

Jens

* Re: digits
@ 2003-05-19  8:37   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-05-19  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:15 19/05/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>On Sun, 18 May 2003 00:13:37 +0200
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> > In response on all this decimal discussions i posted a new magazine
> > (mag-0003) about a feature that is maybe unknown.
>
>where can i find this magazine (and all the others)?

website -> show-mag.pdf

@ 2003-05-19  8:43   ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2003-05-19  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 10:15:47AM +0200, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
> where can i find this magazine (and all the others)?

http://www.pragma-ade.com/overview.htm

There is a link to this page from the main page, too.

--
Eckhart

* Re: digits
@ 2003-05-19 20:43     ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2003-05-19 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 19 May 2003 10:37:11 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 10:15 19/05/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >On Sun, 18 May 2003 00:13:37 +0200
> >Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> >
> > > In response on all this decimal discussions i posted a new magazine
> > > (mag-0003) about a feature that is maybe unknown.
> >
> >where can i find this magazine (and all the others)?
>

> website -> show-mag.pdf

Thanks. Can the MAGs be added to the documentation section of the web-site?
There are enough user who use a simple modem connection to the internet.
Forcing them to PDF-based navigation is IMO not a good idea.

Best,
  Jens