* \setupwhitespace[small]
@ 2003-06-18 11:03 Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2003-06-18 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXtnicians

I am trying to track down something which causes \setupwhitespace not to
work as expected in my document. Minimal documents work correctly but my
complex handbook document has been affected. What other commands might cause
\setupwhitespace to malfunction.

\setupwhitespace[small] does not appear to work. It seems to give the same
result as medium. none gives none, 3pt does not give 3pt but instead prints
3pt as though it was text, big does give slightly bigger than medium but not
as much as it should.

TIA
--
Nigel

* Re: \setupwhitespace[small]
@ 2003-06-18 17:59 ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2003-06-18 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know it is bad form to reply to oneself but what was confusing me was that
I was using columns and they have their very own whitespace mechanism called
blank. This seems to be controlled in the same way as whitespace small
medium big etc with the same values. Pity it is called blank rather than
whitespace.

Regards
--
Nigel

> From: Nigel King <king@dircon.co.uk>
> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:03:08 +0100
> To: <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
> Subject: \setupwhitespace[small]
>
> Dear ConTeXtnicians
>
> I am trying to track down something which causes \setupwhitespace not to work
> as expected in my document. Minimal documents work correctly but my complex
> handbook document has been affected. What other commands might cause
> \setupwhitespace to malfunction.
>
> \setupwhitespace[small] does not appear to work. It seems to give the same
> result as medium. none gives none, 3pt does not give 3pt but instead prints
> 3pt as though it was text, big does give slightly bigger than medium but not
> as much as it should.
>

> TIA
> --
> Nigel

* Re: Re: \setupwhitespace[small]
@ 2003-06-18 19:27   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-06-18 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch, 18.06.03, um 19:59 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Nigel King:

> I know it is bad form to reply to oneself but what was confusing me
> was that
> I was using columns and they have their very own whitespace mechanism
> called
> blank. This seems to be controlled in the same way as whitespace small
> medium big etc with the same values. Pity it is called blank rather
> than
> whitespace.

I always use \blank for every needed whitespace and don't even know
why one should use \whitespace ... ;-)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: Re: \setupwhitespace[small]
@ 2003-06-19 18:25     ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-06-19 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 03:27 pm, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 18.06.03, um 19:59 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Nigel King:

> I always use \blank for every needed whitespace and don't even know
> why one should use \whitespace ... ;-)
>
> Grüßlis vom Hraban!

As I read the manual \whitespace is a bit like \parskip in plain Tex. Now I
have a question. If I set up my body font as 12pt then what are the minimum
values of small, medium,big in reference to \setupwhitespace? I set
\setupwhitespace  to medium and my customer wants just a little more space
between paragraphs. I don't mind using a fixed value but what is my starting
point?
--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers