* Table of Contents
@ 2003-06-18 17:44 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-06-18 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to typeset a book with chapters and sections, but with no numbering,
either on the chapter heading itself or in the TOC. I do want both chapters
and sections in the TOC. I prefer the dotleader layout (alternative=c).

I have spent two days now chasing down blind alleys. What is the shortest way
to achieve this goal?
--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers

* Re: Table of Contents
@ 2003-06-18 18:16 ` wmcclain
From: wmcclain @ 2003-06-18 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:44:04 -0400
John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> I want to typeset a book with chapters and sections, but with no
> numbering, either on the chapter heading itself or in the TOC. I do
> want both chapters and sections in the TOC. I prefer the dotleader
> layout (alternative=c).

You can use alternative=none and supply your own formatting macro. In
conjunction with multiple toc lists, this is quite flexible. There is an
example at: http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/context-help.html, in
the section "Table of contents with different sections".

Bringhurst on dot leaders: "unenlightening rows of dots that force the
eye to walk the width of the page like a prisoner being escorted back to
its cell."

But I bet you can use them within your own formatting macro.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame

* Re: Table of Contents
@ 2003-06-18 18:25 ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-06-18 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,

John Culleton wrote:

> I want to typeset a book with chapters and sections, but with no numbering,
> either on the chapter heading itself or in the TOC. I do want both chapters
> and sections in the TOC. I prefer the dotleader layout (alternative=c).

I fought over this also for my journal. Here is what I came up with (including
some extraneous, journal-specific stuff). Note that you can use <title> and
unnumbered anyway:

==========================
\setuphead[chapter][numberstyle=normal,
                    style=\scb,
                    alternative=middle,
                    page=right,
                    number=no,
                    ownnumber=no,
                    incrementnumber=yes,
                    continue=no,
                    header=high,
                    text=high,
                    footer=empty]

\setuphead[section][numberstyle=normal,
                    textstyle=\sc,
                    continue=no,
                    number=no,
                    incrementnumber=no,
                    placehead=yes,
                    alternative=middle,
                    before={\blank[big]},
                    after={\blank[medium]}]

\setupcombinedlist[content][alternative=c]

\starttext

\noheaderandfooterlines

\placecontent

\chapter{First}

\section{first}

\chapter{Second}

\section{second}

\chapter{Third}

\section{third}

\stoptext
=======================

You can look at some samples of what ConTeXt can to with a toc here:
http://gsp-online.org/journals/journaldocs/shi/vol1no1.pdf

Some more samples can be found from here:
http://gsp-online.org/journals/shi.htm

Best wishes
Idris

* Re: Table of Contents
@ 2003-06-18 19:38   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-06-18 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 02:25 pm, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> John Culleton wrote:
> > I want to typeset a book with chapters and sections, but with no
> > numbering, either on the chapter heading itself or in the TOC. I do want
> > both chapters and sections in the TOC. I prefer the dotleader layout
> > (alternative=c).
>
> I fought over this also for my journal. Here is what I came up with
> (including some extraneous, journal-specific stuff). Note that you can use
> is generally unnumbered anyway:

> Best wishes
> Idris

Thaniks Idris. The problem with Title and Subject is that they don't appear in
the TOC in any case.  That was a half day of screwing around. But it is in
the manual somewhere. I will gut your code and try it.
--

@ 2003-06-18 20:13     ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-06-18 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I fought over this also for my journal. Here is what I came up with
> > (including some extraneous, journal-specific stuff). Note that you can use
> > is generally unnumbered anyway:
>
> > Best wishes
> > Idris

> Thaniks Idris. The problem with Title and Subject is that they don't appear in
> the TOC in any case.  That was a half day of screwing around.

Ah, yes. But in the final analysis, you can setup title to behave exactly as
chapter and vice versa. What I did was setup <title> to appear in the toc, then
when I changed <title> in the setup to <chapter> I noticed that both behaved
identically! The sample I sent you originally used <title>; all I did was change
it to <chapter>.

Have fun
Idris

* Re: Table of Contents
@ 2003-06-19  0:30       ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-06-19  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 04:13 pm, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> > > I fought over this also for my journal. Here is what I came up with
> > > (including some extraneous, journal-specific stuff). Note that you can
> > > former is generally unnumbered anyway:
> > >
> > > Best wishes
> > > Idris

> > Thaniks Idris. The problem with Title and Subject is that they don't
> > appear in the TOC in any case.  That was a half day of screwing around.
>
> Ah, yes. But in the final analysis, you can setup title to behave exactly
> as chapter and vice versa. What I did was setup <title> to appear in the
> toc, then when I changed <title> in the setup to <chapter> I noticed that
> both behaved identically! The sample I sent you originally used <title>;
> all I did was change it to <chapter>.
>
> Have fun
> Idris
AHA! I was trying to use chapters in the frontmatter and that (silently)
killed the TOC. So I used your macros, changed all frontmatter chapters to
titles, and the TOC appeared like magic. Next I will try to define title as
you have defined chapter. If that works, fine. Otherwise I will just move the
frontmatter boundary back to earlier in the file.

Thanks for your help! And Bill also, of course.
--

@ 2003-06-19 17:08         ` John Culleton
       [not found]           ` <3EF349DF.88E61AE4@lamar.colostate.edu>
From: John Culleton @ 2003-06-19 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 08:30 pm, John Culleton wrote:

> > > Thaniks Idris. The problem with Title and Subject is that they don't
> > > appear in the TOC in any case.  That was a half day of screwing around.
> >
> > Ah, yes. But in the final analysis, you can setup title to behave exactly
> > as chapter and vice versa.

Further on this issue. If I put a \chapter before the TOC then the contents of
the TOC disapear silently. If I put a \title before the TOC that works but
the title of course doesn't appear in theTOC.

If I change the definition of \title to match the one you gave me for \chapter
then again the contents of the TOC disappear silently.

If instead of changing the def of title I use the
\writebetweenlist....\writetolist commands then the title will appear in the
TOC but the pagenumber will be wrong.

Here is what my customer  want:s:
1. A TOC
2. No chapter or section numbers anywhere.
3. Certain blocks of text which occur before the TOC to be listed in the TOC
with the correct page number.

Any suggestions, anyone?

@ 2003-06-20 19:02           ` Idris S Hamid
       [not found]           ` <3EF349DF.88E61AE4@lamar.colostate.edu>
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-06-20 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Here is what my customer  want:s:
> 1. A TOC
> 2. No chapter or section numbers anywhere.

Ok, I think we've solved this part.

> 3. Certain blocks of text which occur before the TOC to be listed in the TOC
> with the correct page number.

This I don't understand. Could you explain a bit more?:-)

In general, creative use of \setuphead, \writetolist, \writebetweenlist, and
\definecombinedlist will solve virtually any of this type of problem. I just don't
understand 3.

Best wishes
Idris

* Re: Table of Contents
       [not found]           ` <3EF349DF.88E61AE4@lamar.colostate.edu>
@ 2003-06-21 15:03             ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-06-21 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Friday 20 June 2003 01:52 pm, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> > Here is what my customer  want:s:
> > 1. A TOC
> > 2. No chapter or section numbers anywhere.
>
> I think we've solved these two;
>
> > 3. Certain blocks of text which occur before the TOC to be listed in the
> > TOC with the correct page number.
>
> What's the difference between 1 & 3? Could you explain 3 a bit more:-)

As I explained before, whenever a TOC item appears in the source file before
the actual TOC the whole TOC becomes blank. This is true  whether the item is
a chapter and included automatically or I use the "write" commands to do  it
manually. Here is a dummy file:

\pdfoutput=1
\starttext
\chapter{foo}
\completecontent
\chapter{bar}
\stoptext

When I run the above file the TOC will have a header but no contents. If
however I comment out \chapter{foo}
then chapter bar appears in the contents.

I have also tried the write etc. commands and if they appear before the
\completecontent
command then the TOC blanks out.

This may be a function of The general TeX procedure to write out the items on
one pass and bring them in on the next. The write to \chapter{foo} may
reinitialize the external file when it is encountered on the second pass.
According to the TeXbook the write occurs when the page is shipped out. So
\chapter{foo} probalbly clobbers the external file.  Still the TOC mechanism
should be developed in a way that it is possible to incorporate items
occurring before the TOC in the TOC.  This is not an uncommon requirement.

A cure might be to move the external file to a different file name at the end
of each pass in texexec, and bring in that copy of the file instead of the
original external file to create the actual TOC.. That way any premature
references would not go to the copy but to a new original. Pehaps Hans could
rewrite the texexec or the Content macros themselves to do this. In
pseudocode of sorts it would work  like this:
\starttext
\chapter{foo} =write to filea
\placecontent= read from fileb
\chapter{bar}=write to filea
\chapter{alpha}=write to filea
(etc.)
\stoptext.
copy filea to fileb
end
--

@ 2003-06-26  8:07               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-06-26  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:03 21/06/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>On Friday 20 June 2003 01:52 pm, Idris S Hamid wrote:

>\pdfoutput=1

never set the output this way, use \setupoutput[pdftex] or --pdf becuase
these commands make sure that the right low level special drivers are loaded!

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Table of Contents
@ 2003-06-26 16:33                 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-06-26 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 26 June 2003 04:07 am, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 11:03 21/06/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >On Friday 20 June 2003 01:52 pm, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> >
> >\pdfoutput=1
>
> never set the output this way, use \setupoutput[pdftex] or --pdf becuase
> these commands make sure that the right low level special drivers are
> loaded!
>
> Hans
Thanks for the reminder!  It was my jmistake, not Idris'.

However the corrected file still doesn't show any TOC entries in its original
form, but will show TOC entries if the first chapter is removed or moved past
the \combinedcontent statement.
\setupoutput[pdftex]
\starttext
\chapter{foo}
\completecontent
\chapter{bar}
\stoptext
The above does not work.
\setupoutput[pdftex]
\starttext
\completecontent
\chapter{foo}
\chapter{bar}
\stoptext
-------------------------------------
But the above does work. So I deduce that the TOC mechanism doesn't handle
entries occurring before the \completecontent statement. I proposed a cure in
another post, but it would requre some modification of texexec.

Best,

--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters & Indexers

* Re: Table of Contents
@ 2016-03-12  7:29   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-03-12  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Pablo Rodriguez <mailto:oinos@gmx.es>
> 10. März 2016 um 23:48
>
> Hi Aidan,
>
> if I’m getting your point, you have to add to your .tex file:
>
> \setupinteraction[state=start]%
> % color=, style=, contrastcolor=, focus=standard %these may help too
> \placebookmarks
> [part,chapter,section] %written outlines
> [part,chapter] %open outlines
When you use the \placebookmarks command without arguments ConTeXt shows
all entries form the \placecontent list without opening them.

Wolfgang

* Re: Table of Contents
       [not found] <mailman.198.1457685375.2302.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2016-03-11  9:32 ` Aidan Nichol
From: Aidan Nichol @ 2016-03-11  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks Pablo

That did it. I found the \placebookmarks in the pandoc template once I knew what I was looking for.
I also found
  \setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
so I get it displayed when the document is opened.

Aidan

* Re: Table of Contents
@ 2016-03-10 22:48 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2016-03-10 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/10/2016 09:45 PM, Aidan Nichol wrote:
> I’m using using pandoc and ConTeXt to generate pdf documentation from
> markdown.
>
> I started with the option to use latex (xetex) and swapped to
> ConTeXt, letting pandoc create the conTeXt file and invoke ConTeXt on
> it.C Both produce a table of contents active links etc. which is
> pretty much identical but the xetex version in my various pdf readers
> can show it in side panel referred to as Table of Contents or
> outline. This is really nice because it makes it just a click or
> swipe away.
>
> Following advice from Pablo I’ve swapped over to generating XHTML and
> using the XML mapping ability to generate ConTeXt and the PDF. Using
> this route the TOC looks the same but it’s no longer there in the
> outline panel.
>
> What do I need in addition to
> \completecontent
> to get this feature to work?

Hi Aidan,

if I’m getting your point, you have to add to your .tex file:

  \setupinteraction[state=start]%
   % color=, style=, contrastcolor=, focus=standard %these may help too
  \placebookmarks
    [part,chapter,section] %written outlines
    [part,chapter] %open outlines

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Table of Contents
@ 2016-03-10 20:45 Aidan Nichol
From: Aidan Nichol @ 2016-03-10 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-09-28 13:31 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-09-28 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Meer, Hans van der <mailto:H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>
> 28. September 2015 um 14:27
> I would like to restrict the tableofcontents to chapters only, leaving
> the sections etc. out.
> \completecontent does not seem the right command here.
>
> I am sure it is simple, but I don't see it. How to accomplish?

You can use the \placelist command, e.g.

\title{Content}
\placelist[chapter]

Wolfgang

* table of contents
@ 2015-09-28 12:27 Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2015-09-28 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I would like to restrict the tableofcontents to chapters only, leaving the sections etc. out.
 \completecontent does not seem the right command here.

I am sure it is simple, but I don't see it. How to accomplish?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: table of contents
@ 2012-07-09 11:26   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-07-09 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2012-07-09, at 11:54 AM, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> The list archive should contain dozens of answers to this question but here it is again.

So someone needs to wikify these answers.

Aditya

* Re: table of contents
@ 2012-07-09 10:10   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-07-09 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I tried  \completecontent[criterium={chapter,section}] bat that doesn't work.
>> Could not find it on the wiki, but I might have missed the right search term.
>

> The list archive should contain dozens of answers to this question but here it is again.
>
> \starttext
>
> \title{Contents} % use \title{\headtext{content}} to get a language dependent title
> \placelist[chapter,section]
>
> …
>
> \stoptext
>
> or
>
> \definecombinedlist[content][chapter,section]
>
> \starttext
>
> \completecontent
>
> …
>
> \stoptext

There two additional ways with the new code.

\setupcombinedlist[content][list={chapter,section}]

\starttext

\completecontent

…

\stoptext

and

\starttext

\completecontent[list={chapter,section}]

…

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: table of contents
@ 2012-07-09  9:54 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-07-09  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.07.2012 um 11:43 schrieb Meer, H. van der:

> Is there a simple manner to restrict the table of contents to chapter and section, excluding subsections, subsubsections?
>
> Now I use (and get all)
>
> \startfrontmatter% the table of contents
>  \setuppagenumber[number=1,numberconversion=romannumerals]

You can put this setup in a sectionblockenvironment.

@ 2012-07-09  9:43 Meer, H. van der
From: Meer, H. van der @ 2012-07-09  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt NTG

@ 2012-04-05 10:51     ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2012-04-05 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Willi Egger <context@boede.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was unsuccessful using \completecontent to my wishes in the recent past. The correct result I achieved with \placelist[section]. But now indeed even this fails with your example.
>
> Willi
> On 5 Apr 2012, at 09:14, John Devereux wrote:
>
>> \starttext
>> \completecontent
>> \section{One}
>> some text
>> \stoptext

Hi Willi,

Thank you very much for trying it. Can anyone post even a trivial
example that does work? Is the latest beta really broken?

Thanks,

John

--

John Devereux

* Re: Table of contents
@ 2012-04-05 10:13   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2012-04-05 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was unsuccessful using \completecontent to my wishes in the recent past. The correct result I achieved with \placelist[section]. But now indeed even this fails with your example.

Willi
On 5 Apr 2012, at 09:14, John Devereux wrote:

> \starttext
> \completecontent
> \section{One}
> some text
> \stoptext

* Re: Table of contents
@ 2012-04-05  7:14 ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2012-04-05  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

John Devereux <john@devereux.me.uk> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Feeling stupid...
>
> I updated my context MKIV to the latest version, was working with one
> ~1y old.
>
> I can't get a table of contents to work at all for some strange reason,
> am I misunderstanding something basic? I have tried all sorts of
> variants, but a test case and log follows.

[...]

OK, this is happening on two separate (linux) systems now. One of them
never had context on it before.

\starttext
\completecontent
\section{One}
some text
\stoptext

--

John Devereux

* Table of contents
@ 2012-04-04 12:20 John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2012-04-04 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

Feeling stupid...

I updated my context MKIV to the latest version, was working with one
~1y old.

I can't get a table of contents to work at all for some strange reason,
am I misunderstanding something basic? I have tried all sorts of
variants, but a test case and log follows.

Thanks,

John

%-*-context-*-
\starttext
\completecontent
\section{One}
some text
\stoptext

mtx-context     | run 1: luatex --fmt="/home/jd/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/2448223e6631addb83df348d74153606/formats/cont-en" --lua="/home/jd/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/2448223e6631addb83df348d74153606/formats/cont-en.lui" --backend="pdf" "./test.mkiv" \stoptext
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.70.1-2011051918 (rev 4277)
 \write18 enabled.
(test.mkiv

ConTeXt  ver: 2012.04.02 22:23 MKIV  fmt: 2012.4.4  int: english/english

system          > cont-new.mkiv loaded
(/home/jd/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
system          > beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.mkiv
)
system          > test.top loaded
(test.top)
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language en is active
{/home/jd/context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/map/pdftex/context/mkiv-base.map}
fonts           > preloading latin modern fonts (second stage)
fonts           > typescripts > unknown: library 'loc'
{/home/jd/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map}{/home/jd/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map}
fonts           > virtual math > unable to resolve name mapsfromchar
fonts           > fallback modern rm 12pt is loaded
structure       > sectioning > title @ level 2 : 0.0 -> \headtext {content}
! Undefined control sequence.

system          > tex > error on line 11 in file test.mkiv: Undefined control sequence ...

1     %-*-context-*-
2     \starttext
3     \completecontent
4     \section{One}
5     some text
6     \stoptext
7

\12>:77>:abc ...trc_lists_get_reference_attribute
                                                  \v!all \strc_lists_get_des...
\strc_lists_apply_renderingsetup ...nderingsetup }
                                                  \relax \the \t_lists_every...
\strclistsentryprocess ... \fi \fi \fi \endcsname
                                                  \dostoptagged \listextrapa...
l.11 {}

\ctxcommand ...\directlua \zerocount {commands.#1}

\doplacestructurelist ...s = "#4", order = "#5" }}
                                                  \dostoptagged
l.4 \section
            {One}
? ! Interruption.

system          > tex > error on line 11 in file test.mkiv: Interruption ...

1     %-*-context-*-
2     \starttext
3     \completecontent
4     \section{One}
5     some text
6     \stoptext
7

<to be read again> a
\v!all ->al
\12>:77>:abc ...ts_get_reference_attribute \v!all
                                                  \strc_lists_get_destinatio...
\strc_lists_apply_renderingsetup ...nderingsetup }
                                                  \relax \the \t_lists_every...
\strclistsentryprocess ... \fi \fi \fi \endcsname
                                                  \dostoptagged \listextrapa...
l.11 {}

l.4 \section
            {One}
?
! Emergency stop.

system          > tex > error on line 11 in file test.mkiv: Emergency stop ...

1     %-*-context-*-
2     \starttext
3     \completecontent
4     \section{One}
5     some text
6     \stoptext
7

<to be read again> a
\v!all ->al
\12>:77>:abc ...ts_get_reference_attribute \v!all
                                                  \strc_lists_get_destinatio...
\strc_lists_apply_renderingsetup ...nderingsetup }
                                                  \relax \the \t_lists_every...
\strclistsentryprocess ... \fi \fi \fi \endcsname
                                                  \dostoptagged \listextrapa...
l.11 {}

l.4 \section
            {One}
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

--

John Devereux

* Re: Table of contents
@ 2011-05-23 17:27 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-23 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.05.2011 um 19:18 schrieb Oliver Buerschaper:

> Dear all,
>
> is it possible to have entries in the table of contents not indented at all whenever they stem from unnumbered headings? For example:
>
> ---
> \starttext
>

> \startfrontmatter
>    \completecontent
>
>    \chapter{Preface}
> \stopfrontmatter
>

> \startbodymatter
>    \part{Test}
>    \chapter{Tufte}
>    \chapter{Bryson}
>
>    \part{Test}
>    \chapter{Tufte}
>    \chapter{Bryson}
> \stopbodymatter
>

> \startbackmatter
>    \chapter{Acknowledgements}
> \stopbackmatter
>

> \stoptext

Define a header for them and set the number width to 0pt.

\definehead[topic][chapter]
\setuphead [topic][number=no]
\setuplist [topic][width=0pt]

\starttext

\startfrontmatter
   \title{Contents}
   \placelist[part,chapter,topic]
   \topic{Preface}
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter
\dorecurse{2}
  {\part{Test}
   \chapter{Tufte}
   \chapter{Bryson}}
\stopbodymatter

\startbackmatter
\topic{Acknowledgements}
\stopbackmatter

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Table of contents
@ 2011-05-23 17:18 Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2011-05-23 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Dear all,

is it possible to have entries in the table of contents not indented at all whenever they stem from unnumbered headings? For example:

---
\starttext

\startfrontmatter
    \completecontent

    \chapter{Preface}
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter
    \part{Test}
    \chapter{Tufte}
    \chapter{Bryson}

    \part{Test}
    \chapter{Tufte}
    \chapter{Bryson}
\stopbodymatter

\startbackmatter
    \chapter{Acknowledgements}
\stopbackmatter

\stoptext
---

Many thanks,
Oliver

* Re: table of contents
@ 2010-04-30 11:13           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-04-30 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.04.10 10:41, schrieb Marius:
> I redone your example, see attached files.
>
> Is it ok to redefine combined list like I did?
>
> And how to I do that everything that precedes the table of contents
> does not appear in the table of contents?

\setuphead[title][incrementnumber=list]
\setuphead[subject][incrementnumber=list]
\setuphead[subsubject][incrementnumber=list]
\setuphead[subsubsubject][incrementnumber=list]
\setuphead[subsubsubsubject][incrementnumber=list]

\setupheads[sectionstopper=.]

\definecombinedlist
   [content]
   [part,
    chapter,
    section,
    subsection,
    subsubsection,
    subsubsubsection,
    subsubsubsubsection,
    title,
    subject,
    subsubject,
    subsubsubject,
    subsubsubsubject,
    subsubsubsubsubject]
   [criterium=all]

\startsectionblockenvironment[frontpart]
\setuphead[title,subject,subsubject][incrementnumber=no]
\stopsectionblockenvironment

\starttext

\startfrontmatter

\title{This title should not be in the table of contents}
\subject{This Subject should not be in the table of contents}
\subject{This Subject should not be in the table of contents}
\subsubject{This subSubject should not be in the table of contents}

\title{This Contents title should not be in the table of contents}

\placecontent

\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter

\chapter{Chapter}

\section{Section}

\subject{Subject}

\subsubject{subSubject}

\subsection{Subject}

\section{Section}

\section{Section}

\stopbodymatter

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: table of contents
@ 2010-04-30  8:41         ` Marius
From: Marius @ 2010-04-30  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I redone your example, see attached files.

Is it ok to redefine combined list like I did?

And how to I do that everything that precedes the table of contents
does not appear in the table of contents?

Thanks,
Marius

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 29.04.10 22:17, schrieb Marius:
>>
>> One more question regarding the table of contents. I have looked in
>> the wiki and manuals and can't figure out how to enable entries for
>> \title, \subject, \subsubject ... in the table of contents?
>>

> This works in MkII and MkIV:
>
> \setuphead[subject][incrementnumber=list]
>
> \starttext
>
> \title{Contents}
>
> \placelist[chapter,section,subject]
>
> \chapter{Chapter}
>
> \section{Section}
>
> \subject{Subject}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: test2.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: test2.pdf --]

* Re: table of contents
@ 2010-04-30  6:55       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-04-30  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-29 20:17     ` Marius
From: Marius @ 2010-04-29 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-29 13:17   ` Marius
From: Marius @ 2010-04-29 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, Wolfgang for the example. I can't believe this is so simple
in ConTeXt. I added this example to wiki.
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Table_of_Contents

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am 29.04.10 12:12, schrieb Marius:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> There must be two tables of contents in my document, one in a native
>> language and the other in english. In LaTeX I made new commands
>> \enchapter, \ensection, etc., which I use just after the \chapter or
>> \section command.
>>
>> How do I make such commands in ConTeXt, so that these commands just
>> insert a line into the english table of contents, but do not insert
>> chapter or section in the current page?
>>

> \mainlanguage[de]
>
> \starttext
>
> \completecontent
>
> %\start\language[en]
> \start\mainlanguage[en]
> \completecontent
> \stop
>
> \chapter{\translate[en=Chapter One,de=Kapitel Eins]}
>
> \chapter{\translate[en=Chapter Two,de=Kapitel Zwei]}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: table of contents
@ 2010-04-29 10:19 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-04-29 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-04-29 10:12 Marius
From: Marius @ 2010-04-29 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-03-21 10:39   ` Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2010-03-21 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Thanks Mario and Wolfgang.
The \placelist command solved both problems.

Alain

Wolfgang Schuster a écrit :
> Am 21.03.10 10:18, schrieb Alain Delmotte:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have two question about table of contents.
>>
>> 1) is it possible to have the toc at the end of the document.
>> I tried to place \placecontent or \completecontent at the end and it
>> didn't work; I only managed to have the toc at the beginning of the
>> document.
>>
>> 2) If I define my own header (like in ConTeXt an excursion: 5.
>> Headers) and so, for example, replacing \section by \myheader, which
>> has a section level, the table of content is empty!
>>
>> If the information is in another document, please give me a pointer,
>> thanks!
> Mark 2:
>
> \definehead[mysection][section]
>
> \setuphead[mysection][coupling=section]
>
> \starttext
>
> \chapter{One}
>
> \section{One.One}
>
> \mysection{One.Two}
>
> \completecontent[criterium=all]
>
> \stoptext
>
> Mark 4:
>
> \definehead[mysection][section]
>
> \starttext
>
> \chapter{One}
>
> \section{One.One}
>
> \mysection{One.Two}
>
> \title{Contents}
>
> \placelist[chapter,section,mysection][criterium=all]
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Table of contents
@ 2010-03-21  9:37 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-03-21  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-03-21  9:36 ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2010-03-21  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Alain Delmotte
<alain.delmotte@leliseron.org> wrote:
> 2) If I define my own header (like in ConTeXt an excursion: 5. Headers) and
> so, for example, replacing \section by \myheader, which has a section level,
> the table of content is empty!

I have a working system like that in several of my docs (all similar,
though) - but if I recall correctly (won't have access to the files
until tomorrow), it only works in ConTeXt MkII, which is one of the
main reasons that I still use that version for almost all of my work.

If you put

%engine=pdftex

in the beginning of the file in question and then run ConTeXt (check
that it really uses MkII for that run), does the TOC appear?

Mari
(one of these days I'll get around to installing working ConTeXt on my
home computer(s), too...)

* Table of contents
@ 2010-03-21  9:18 Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2010-03-21  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-08-18 12:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-18 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:20 AM 8/16/2002 -0700, Peter Denisevich wrote:
>Hi,
>Like Kris Hermans, I can't get Context to generate a TOC.  It was working
>with
>the version on from TexLive 7 (installed from my TUG CDROM) but since
>upgrading to Context 7.26.02 *AND* 8.15.02 it's broken.  Minimal testfile:
>
>\starttext
>\placecontent
>\chapter{First}
>The quick red fox
>\stoptext
>
>Output:
><snip>
>systems        : begin file tt at line 1
>! Undefined control sequence.
>\ExpandCommand [#1][#2]->\dobeginoflist

this is indeed a bug

\let\dobeginoflist\relax
\let\doendoflist\relax

it is corrected in the version i'm uploading now; this version also has
spot colors

beware with updating:

texexec --make

is better since it also updates the metafun format (for tex it calls the
unix script; i still have to patch texexec for the latest scripts as well
as bibtex)

@ 2002-08-16 18:20 Peter Denisevich
From: Peter Denisevich @ 2002-08-16 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
Like Kris Hermans, I can't get Context to generate a TOC.  It was working with
the version on from TexLive 7 (installed from my TUG CDROM) but since
upgrading to Context 7.26.02 *AND* 8.15.02 it's broken.  Minimal testfile:

\starttext
\placecontent
\chapter{First}
The quick red fox
\stoptext

Output:
<snip>
systems        : begin file tt at line 1
! Undefined control sequence.
\ExpandCommand [#1][#2]->\dobeginoflist
                                        \dostellijstin [#1][#2]\doutilities

\doplaatssamengesteldelijst ...gesteldelijst ][#2]
                                                  \stoplistreferences
{#1}\e...
<to be read again>
                   \chapter
l.3 \chapter
            {First}
?
<snip>

BTW:  This is the 1st time I've upgraded Context.  What I did was:
1) unzip *.zip's into /usr/share/TeX/texmf-local (local tree _was_ previously
empty, so I downloaded _all_ the zips).

2) Copy ../perltk/* to /usr/share/TeX/texmf/context/perltk -- since TL7 has a
wrapper script in TEXHOME/bin/i386-linux that calls texexec.pl.
3) texhash, texexec --make, texhash

Is this approximately correct?  In the future I would normally just upgrade
the fmt zip...

Regards,
Peter
--
"'I could have done it in a _much_ more complicated way', said the Red Queen,
 immensely proud."  -- quoted in Froberg, Intro. to Numerical Analysis, 1969.

* Re: table of contents
@ 2002-08-15 16:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-15 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:29 PM 8/15/2002 +0200, Kris Hermans wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I create a table of contents as follows:
>
>in the style.tex:
>\setupcombinedlist[content][alternative=c,aligntitle=no,width=2.5em]
>
>in the doc.tex:
>\placecontent
>
>This worked before, but since I upgraded to the latest beta, apparently it
>is broken. How can I fix this?
>
>My context version:
>ConTeXt  ver: 2002.7.26  fmt: 2002.8.6  int: english  mes: english

i'm uploading a new beta (takes 10 minutes) , can you check that out

@ 2002-08-15 14:29 Kris Hermans
From: Kris Hermans @ 2002-08-15 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I create a table of contents as follows:

in the style.tex:
\setupcombinedlist[content][alternative=c,aligntitle=no,width=2.5em]

in the doc.tex:
\placecontent

This worked before, but since I upgraded to the latest beta, apparently it
is broken. How can I fix this?

My context version:
ConTeXt  ver: 2002.7.26  fmt: 2002.8.6  int: english  mes: english

thanks,

Kris Hermans.

* Re: Table of contents
@ 2000-09-11  8:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-11  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:25 PM 9/9/00 +0200, Zeljko Vrba wrote:

>How can I make table of contents look more like Latex's?
>I'd like subsections etc. to be indented.. this is in Latex:
>
>1. section......................1
>   1.1 subsection...............1
>   1.2 subsection...............2
>2. section......................10

As an addition to previous answers, you may try:

% output=pdftex

\starttext

\setuplist[chapter][width=3em]
\setuplist[section][margin=3em,width=3em]

\placecontent[alternative=c]

\chapter{test} \section{test} \section{test} \section{test}

@ 2000-09-10  9:09     ` Mr. Wang Lei
From: Mr. Wang Lei @ 2000-09-10  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Zeljko Vrba wrote:

> > > 1. section......................1
> > >    1.1 subsection...............1
> > >    1.2 subsection...............2
> > > 2. section......................10
> >
> > Try a different variant:
> >
> > \setupcombinedlist
> > 	[tableofcontents]
> > 	[variant=d]

Try the following code, I think there must be a
more simple way to deal with your problem. But
I am a newbie, too. :-)

\def\SubContent#1{%
    \hbox to 1.5cm{\hskip 1cm #1}}

\setuplist
    [section]
    [before=\blank,
     aligntitle=yes,
     after=\blank,
     width=.8cm,
     distance=.2cm]

\setuplist
    [subsection]
    [numbercommand=\SubContent,
     aligntitle=yes,
     distance=.2cm]

\starttext

\completecontent[alternative=c,criterium=all]

\stoptext

Wang

Mr. Wang Lei                      Phone: 86-10-62541687
Institute of Applied Mathematics  Email: lwang@amath8.amt.ac.cn
Chinese Academy of Science        Address: P.O.Box 2734, Beijing, 100080

* Re: Table of contents
@ 2000-09-10  7:36   ` Zeljko Vrba
From: Zeljko Vrba @ 2000-09-10  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 03:58:40PM +0200, Berend de Boer wrote:
> Zeljko Vrba wrote:
> >
> > How can I make table of contents look more like Latex's?
> > I'd like subsections etc. to be indented.. this is in Latex:
> >
> > 1. section......................1
> >    1.1 subsection...............1
> >    1.2 subsection...............2
> > 2. section......................10
>
> Try a different variant:
>
> \setupcombinedlist
> 	[tableofcontents]
> 	[variant=d]
>
> or so.

I read the manual, but no alternative gives me what I want.

* Re: Table of contents
@ 2000-09-09 13:58 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-09-09 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Zeljko Vrba wrote:

> How can I make table of contents look more like Latex's?
> I'd like subsections etc. to be indented.. this is in Latex:
>
> 1. section......................1
>    1.1 subsection...............1
>    1.2 subsection...............2

Try a different variant: