* Status update on e-Omega/Aleph
@ 2003-09-08 14:43 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-09-08 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello people,

I'd like to inform you on the current status and short-term
forecast for e-Omega.

The current official release is versioned 3.14159--1.15--2.1
(RC1) and is based on Omega 1.15 and e-TeX 2.1; even though it
is just considered a Release Candidate, it's stable enough for
production use. In fact, it has already been successfully used
to publish in mixed-direction context.

There will likely be at least one more release candidate,
to solve a couple of direction-related bug, and probably two
(the second featuring probably mostly a code clean-up).

The e-Omega task force has decided for a name change for the
project. From the first stable release onwards, the project
(and the resulting program) will be called Aleph ($\Aleph$ in
TeX notation).

For those who missed the previous announcements, e-Omega (soon
Aleph) is a user initiative, effectively started in November
2002, to merge two of the most important TeX extensions (Omega
and e-TeX) to ensure that the wonderful enhancements in each
would be readily available to users that need both of them. In
its present state it was presented at the TUG2003 conference in
Hawai`i this july.

The focus of Aleph development is and will be:

* providing a stable and reasonably fast extension to TeX
containing most of the Omega enhancements (support for large
fonts, multiple directions and character coding manipulations
(OTPs/OCPs); the only unavailable feature is the support for
SGML/XML) and many of the e-TeX enhancements (except for the
bidirectional ones, surpassed by the more powerful
multidirectional capabilities of Omega);

* providing a development environment for middle-level users
which would not grow obsolete in the short term, henceforth
ensuring continued support for already-developed OTPs and
similar companion tools;

* providing a development environment for modern format
developers (ConTeXt, and hopefully in the near future a new
LaTeX as well) to support multidirectional typesetting in an
easier-to-handle and more powerful programming environment.

Both in the right-to-left world and in the CJK world work is
already in progress to make sure these points are fully
exploited. Thanks also to the excellent (independently
developed) dvipdfmx DVI-to-PDF converter, support for the
extended features of Omega and e-Omega/Aleph will not come at
the cost of losing the option of easy PDF production (yes, we
all would like to have PDF production directly integrated like
in pdf-TeX, but don't expect that any time soon.)

A note about the new name. Among the many reasons for the
choice of the name there are:

* the origins and purpose of the project: whereas Omega seeks
to eventually offer the definitive answer to virtually all the
problems of multilingual typesetting, Aleph has a more modest
goal: to provide an immediately available and usable step in
that direction. Since Aleph is the first letter of both the
Arabic and the Hebrew alphabet (both of which need the
multidirectional features offered by e-Omega), and as the
project was started thanks to the initiative of Idris S. Hamid
and Alan Hoenig (who are working on Arabic and Hebrew),
choosing such a common name which connotes both "immediate" and
"multilingual" was considered an appropriate choice.

* also, Aleph is used in mathematics to denote transfinite
numbers. This will allow "perverted" autoreferential tricks,
like having a countable first stable release of Aleph
($\Aleph_0$); following major releases will be subsequent
transfinite numbers ($\Aleph_1$, $\Aleph_2$, etc) and minor
improvements/bugfixes will be cardinals ($\Aleph_0+1$,
$\Aleph_0+2$, etc)

A mailing list, graciously hosted by NTG, the Dutch TeX User
Group, is available; its address is aleph at ntg dot nl. Since
it is moderated, please subscribe before sending emails to it.
Instructions on how to subscribe to the list are available at
http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/aleph

On behalf of the e-Omega/Aleph task force, I would like to thank
Donald Ervin Knuth for giving us TeX; John Plaice, Yannis
Haralambous and the rest of the Omega folks for their amazing
achievements which gave us such a powerful base on which to
build; Peter Breitenlohner and the NTS team for giving us the
excellent e-TeX; all the distributions' maintainers for
providing easy, integrated, interoperable and up-to-date
systems; and everybody in the TeX community, for making it the
wonderful environment that it is.

My very personal thanks also go to Hans Hagen, Idris Hamid and
Alan Hoenig, for convincing me to put my hands in the project,
and to the distributions' maintainers, in particular Christian
Schenk and Fabrice Popineau, for their essential help and
neverending patience in bearing with a 'programmer' victim of
his background as a mathematician which takes him to submit
patches without testing them "because in theory they should
work", and Olaf Weber and Thomas Esser, for making
e-Omega/Aleph available under Linux as well.

[Copies of this message have been posted to the comp.text.tex
newsgroup and the ConTeXt and Omega mailing lists]

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Status update on e-Omega/Aleph
@ 2003-09-08 15:07 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2003-09-08 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:43:26 +0200
Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it> wrote:

> I'd like to inform you on the current status and short-term
> forecast for e-Omega.

Could you give some brief comments for we (me, I mean) who haven't been
following Omega progress? Please point to web documents if such exist:

* If I'm a pdftex/Context user, what does it take become an
Aleph/Context user?

* Are there special considerations for "fonts in Aleph"? It's a entirely
new setup, isn't it?

* Could you compare and contrast the quality and capabilities of
dvipdfmx with pdf generation in pdftex?

* If my work is entirely in English, is there any benfit of Aleph for
me?

Regards,

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                            Curiosities of the Sky
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Garrett Serviss

* Re[2]: Status update on e-Omega/Aleph
@ 2003-09-08 16:08   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-09-08 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Monday, September 8, 2003 Bill McClain wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:43:26 +0200
> Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it> wrote:

>> I'd like to inform you on the current status and short-term
>> forecast for e-Omega.

> Could you give some brief comments for we (me, I mean) who haven't been
> following Omega progress? Please point to web documents if such exist:

> * If I'm a pdftex/Context user, what does it take become an
> Aleph/Context user?

For casual stuff, dump the format with

texexec -tex=eomega --make en

and then compile with

texexec -tex=eomega filename

For "permanent" use of e-Omega/Aleph as ConTeXt engine change
the appropriate lines in texexec.ini.

> * Are there special considerations for "fonts in Aleph"? It's a entirely
> new setup, isn't it?

No, you can keep using your old stuff.

> * Could you compare and contrast the quality and capabilities of
> dvipdfmx with pdf generation in pdftex?

I'll leave this to Hans, since I have not used dvipdfmx myself
(MiKTeX does not yet carry it).

> * If my work is entirely in English, is there any benfit of Aleph for
> me?

Uh ... not really, unless you need it for some very special
stuff.

The only "general" advancement in Omega (and thus Aleph) which
is of "general" interest is the presence of more than 15 math
families, which can greatly reduce the programmer's onus in
supporting multiple symbol sets. This is not something for the
general user, though, unless some low-level programming for
this takes place first. (Hi there, Hans! ;>)

Omega features like multidirectional typesetting or OCPs might
turn useful for special purposes. For example, there is a book
by Martin Gardner where some text is typeset mirrored; with
some work, you can achieve this by exploiting the TeX/MetaPost
link provided by ConTeXt; or you can do it with Omega. Another
example, at one time I needed a way to code the text (think for
example of ROT13): even though the coding is easy and could be
implemented with a preprocessor or something, OCPs allow to do
it "internally". But, as I said, these are very special
requirements. Normal day-to-day left-to-right text does not
need any of the advanced features in Omega,

--

@ 2003-09-08 17:59     ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2003-09-08 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 06:08:12PM +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> Monday, September 8, 2003 Bill McClain wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:43:26 +0200
> > Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it> wrote:
>
> >> I'd like to inform you on the current status and short-term
> >> forecast for e-Omega.

Thanks to the e-Omega group for your work. I think this is a great
step forward.

> Uh ... not really, unless you need it for some very special
> stuff.
>
> The only "general" advancement in Omega (and thus Aleph) which
> is of "general" interest is the presence of more than 15 math
> families, which can greatly reduce the programmer's onus in
> supporting multiple symbol sets. This is not something for the
> general user, though, unless some low-level programming for
> this takes place first. (Hi there, Hans! ;>)

In your announcement you mentioned:

> containing most of the Omega enhancements (support for large
> fonts, multiple directions and character coding manipulations
> (OTPs/OCPs); the only unavailable feature is the support for

I hope this brings TeX from the ASCII world into the Unicode
world. Does this imply internal support for the various input
encodings, such as utf-8?

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
email: spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl

* Re[2]: Status update on e-Omega/Aleph
@ 2003-09-08 23:06       ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-09-08 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Monday, September 8, 2003 Simon Pepping wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 06:08:12PM +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>> Uh ... not really, unless you need it for some very special
>> stuff.
>>
>> The only "general" advancement in Omega (and thus Aleph) which
>> is of "general" interest is the presence of more than 15 math
>> families, which can greatly reduce the programmer's onus in
>> supporting multiple symbol sets. This is not something for the
>> general user, though, unless some low-level programming for
>> this takes place first. (Hi there, Hans! ;>)

> In your announcement you mentioned:

>> containing most of the Omega enhancements (support for large
>> fonts, multiple directions and character coding manipulations
>> (OTPs/OCPs); the only unavailable feature is the support for

> I hope this brings TeX from the ASCII world into the Unicode
> world. Does this imply internal support for the various input
> encodings, such as utf-8?

Yes in general (management of various input encodings is one of
the strong points of Omega) and no in particular. UTF is not
internally supported by Omega 1.15 (it is by Omega 1.23, at
least for what I can see in the sources), and since the current
release of e-Omega is 1.15-based, it has no internal support
for UTF.

--

@ 2003-09-09 15:45   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-09-09 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> * If my work is entirely in English, is there any benfit of Aleph for
> me?

Sure. Consider, for example, the problem of transliteration. You may want to
define a series of character mappings using otps to avoid using a lot of
control sequences for accents and the like. Let's say u have an accent "\.d"
that u use often for transliterating some sound. With an otp u can define
the character sequence ".d" so that it always gives you \.d in the output.
You can group your otp's so that they only take effect when delimited in
some predefined way, e.g. "<.d>"

Suppose you want a character to behave as a control sequence but don't want
to make that character active. You can define a character in an otp so that
whenever you type it you get a particular control sequence.

I'm sure there are other creative examples as well.

Best wishes
Idris

* Re: Status update on e-Omega/Aleph
@ 2003-09-09 16:49     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-09 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:45 09/09/2003 -0600, you wrote:
> > * If my work is entirely in English, is there any benfit of Aleph for
> > me?
>
>Sure. Consider, for example, the problem of transliteration. You may want to
>define a series of character mappings using otps to avoid using a lot of
>control sequences for accents and the like. Let's say u have an accent "\.d"
>that u use often for transliterating some sound. With an otp u can define
>the character sequence ".d" so that it always gives you \.d in the output.
>You can group your otp's so that they only take effect when delimited in
>some predefined way, e.g. "<.d>"
>
>Suppose you want a character to behave as a control sequence but don't want
>to make that character active. You can define a character in an otp so that
>whenever you type it you get a particular control sequence.
>
>I'm sure there are other creative examples as well.

i suggest that later this year idris/gb/me try to cook up a manual for that
kind of thingies

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Status update on e-Omega/Aleph
@ 2003-09-09 18:20     ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2003-09-09 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:45:32 -0600
Idris S Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu> wrote:

> With an otp u can define
> the character sequence ".d" so that it always gives you \.d in the
> output.

I know I could look this up, but briefly:

(1) What's an otp?

(2) Given a set of pfb and afm files (or a set of ttf files) how do I
define such things for Aleph?

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Tales of War
http://sattre-press.com/                       by Lord Dunsany

* Re: Status update on e-Omega/Aleph
@ 2003-09-09 20:59       ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-09-09 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill McClain wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:45:32 -0600
> Idris S Hamid <ishamid@lamar.colostate.edu> wrote:
>
> > With an otp u can define
> > the character sequence ".d" so that it always gives you \.d in the
> > output.
>
> I know I could look this up, but briefly:
>
> (1) What's an otp?

Here r the best sources on otp's:

http://omega.cse.unsw.edu.au:8080/roadmap/doc-1.12.ps
http://omega.cse.unsw.edu.au:8080/papers/tsukuba-arabic97.pdf

The second one especially has examples, many of them language-neutral.

> (2) Given a set of pfb and afm files (or a set of ttf files) how do I
> define such things for Aleph?

Not sure I understand this, but there is a way to prepare huge
(i.e., >256-glyphs) fonts for use by Omega starting from the afm files.
I actually documented this in detail some time ago; I have to search and
find it...

...Ahh! I found it;-)

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d97ost/omega-example.html

There is also a test file using Arabic script for those who wanted to try
doing
Arabic-script in ConTeXt/Gamma. Originally made for Omega1.15, it will
work with
eOmega/Aleph.

Best wishes
Idris

* Re: Status update on e-Omega/Aleph
@ 2003-09-09 21:24         ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-09-09 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris S Hamid wrote:

> ...Ahh! I found it;-)
>
> http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d97ost/omega-example.html

More to the point:

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d97ost/omega/font-instructions.txt

Best
Idris

* Re[2]: Status update on e-Omega/Aleph
@ 2003-09-10 13:09       ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-09-10 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, September 9, 2003 Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 09:45 09/09/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>> > * If my work is entirely in English, is there any benfit of Aleph for
>> > me?
>>
>>Sure. Consider, for example, the problem of
>>transliteration. You may want to
>>define a series of character mappings using otps to avoid using a lot of
>>control sequences for accents and the like. Let's say u have an accent "\.d"
>>that u use often for transliterating some sound. With an otp u can define
>>the character sequence ".d" so that it always gives you \.d in the output.
>>You can group your otp's so that they only take effect when delimited in
>>some predefined way, e.g. "<.d>"
>>
>>Suppose you want a character to behave as a control sequence but don't want
>>to make that character active. You can define a character in an otp so that
>>whenever you type it you get a particular control sequence.
>>
>>I'm sure there are other creative examples as well.

> i suggest that later this year idris/gb/me try to cook up a manual for that
> kind of thingies

The two ideas presented by Idris surprised me because I had
never thought about (ab)using OCPs these ways :) I'll see what
I can think of :)

--

@ 2003-09-10 23:09         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-10 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 14:59 09/09/2003 -0600, you wrote:

> > (1) What's an otp?

fyi, filt-ini.tex and filt-bas.tex provide a higher level layer around