* Does Bill McClain's TOC work?
@ 2003-09-16 14:05 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2003-09-16 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Working on my first TOC I was looking at Bill McClain's
"ConTeXt and pdfTeX Beginners Help Page", and its example on TOCs
with different entries.

I copied and pasted his example, but what should be like this:

>           Contents
>
>  Introduction to the Annotated Edition * 5
>
>  Preface * 12
>
>  1 * The Windows of Absolute Night * 15

is in fact:

>           Contents
>
>  Introduction to the Annotated Edition * 5
>
>  Preface * 12
>
>  3 * The Windows of Absolute Night * 15     <- "3" !

(the unnumbered headings *are* numbered)

So I tried something different:

\definehead[LevelOneEmpty][chapter]
\setuphead[LevelOneEmpty][number=no]

\definehead[LevelOne[chapter]
\setuphead[LevelOne][number=yes]

\definehead[LevelTwo][section]

\definehead[LevelThree][subsection]

\starttext

\definecombinedlist
[content]
[LevelOneEmpty,LevelOne,LevelTwo, LevelThree]

\setupcombinedlist
[content][alternative=b,aligntitle=no,width=2.5em]

\completecontent[way=bytext]

\LevelOneEmpty{Introduction}
\LevelOne{First real Chapter}

But the result is the same:

>           Contents
>
>  Introduction...
>
>  2 First real Chapter

A last try with the following changed:

\definehead[LevelOneEmpty][title]

was even worse: "Introduction" doesn't appear at all in the TOC.

So what is the right way?

I'd be happy for any hint.

Steffen

* Re: Does Bill McClain's TOC work?
@ 2003-09-16 15:15 ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2003-09-16 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:05:03 +0200
Steffen Wolfrum <xmailings@estfiles.de> wrote:

> (the unnumbered headings *are* numbered)

You're right, there is something wrong with the example. The technique
works properly in my original (very large) document, but not in the
reduced file. I'll try to discover why.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                            Curiosities of the Sky
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Garrett Serviss

* Re: Does Bill McClain's TOC work?
@ 2003-09-16 15:57   ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2003-09-16 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:15:14 -0500
Bill McClain <wmcclain@salamander.com> wrote:

> > (the unnumbered headings *are* numbered)
>
> You're right, there is something wrong with the example. The technique
> works properly in my original (very large) document, but not in the
> reduced file. I'll try to discover why.

Ok, I'm not sure why, but the techninque shown on my page works only
when the body of the text is surrounded by \startbodymatter ...
\stopbodymatter. The example should read:

\startbodymatter
\chapter{The Windows of Absolute Night}
...etc...
\stopbodymatter

I also use \startfrontmatter ... \stopfrontmatter to delimit the
Contents, Preface, Introduction, etc, and \startbackmatter ...
\stopbackmatter around the Index and colophon. But the behavior you
found is controlled by the example above.

I'll correct the page.

-Bill