* Czech patterns in TeXlive2003
@ 2003-09-30 14:18 David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2003-09-30 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Hello,

Petr Olsak has changed slightly Czech pattern file czhyph.tex for
TeXlive2003, it's a bit `Babelized' now. It produces \errmessage for
Babel's \addlanguage being \undefined. It also contains several ugly
hacks to make both plain and LaTeX read \v and \' syntax for Czech
accents, and finally it reads czhyphen.tex containing real patterns.

The result is that generating ConTeXt format ends with the \errmessage.
Simple workaround is to change alias in cont-usr.tex to pattern files
from czhyph.tex to czhyphen.tex. My discussion with Petr Olsak suggests
to make a more systematic correction: to add a test into czhyph.tex and
make it directly read czhyphen.tex if ConTeXt is detected.

This needs two things to make sure:
1. Is it OK to read patterns with \v and \' syntax into ConTeXt?
2. Is there a way to detect ConTeXt in order to put into czhyph.tex
something like:

\ifx\<something-typical-to-detect-ConTeXt>\undefined \else
    % for ConTeXt
    \input czhyphen.tex
    \endinput \fi

Is there a more systematic/clean solution? Or shall I ask Petr Olsak to
change this in the czhyph.tex file?

Thanks,
D.A.

--
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

* Re: Czech patterns in TeXlive2003
@ 2003-09-30 15:19 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-30 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David,

>Petr Olsak has changed slightly Czech pattern file czhyph.tex for
>TeXlive2003, it's a bit `Babelized' now. It produces \errmessage for
>Babel's \addlanguage being \undefined. It also contains several ugly
>hacks to make both plain and LaTeX read \v and \' syntax for Czech
>accents, and finally it reads czhyphen.tex containing real patterns.
>
>The result is that generating ConTeXt format ends with the \errmessage.
>Simple workaround is to change alias in cont-usr.tex to pattern files
>from czhyph.tex to czhyphen.tex. My discussion with Petr Olsak suggests
>to make a more systematic correction: to add a test into czhyph.tex and
>make it directly read czhyphen.tex if ConTeXt is detected.
>
>This needs two things to make sure:
>1. Is it OK to read patterns with \v and \' syntax into ConTeXt?
>2. Is there a way to detect ConTeXt in order to put into czhyph.tex
>something like:
>
>\ifx\<something-typical-to-detect-ConTeXt>\undefined \else
>     % for ConTeXt
>     \input czhyphen.tex
>     \endinput \fi
>
>Is there a more systematic/clean solution? Or shall I ask Petr Olsak to
>change this in the czhyph.tex file?

Ah ... i just found that out yesterday and had on my agenda to ask you to
look into it. I have now adapted cont-usr.tex and commented:

% \definefilesynonym [lang-cz.pat]  [czhyph.tex]
% \definefilesynonym [lang-cz.pat]  [skhyph.tex]

maybe you can trigger on:

\contextversion

Thanks for taking care of it.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Czech patterns in TeXlive2003
@ 2003-10-06  9:58   ` David Antos
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: David Antos @ 2003-10-06  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 05:19:56PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Ah ... i just found that out yesterday and had on my agenda to ask you to
> look into it. I have now adapted cont-usr.tex and commented:
>
> % \definefilesynonym [lang-cz.pat]  [czhyph.tex]
> % \definefilesynonym [lang-cz.pat]  [skhyph.tex]
>
> maybe you can trigger on:
>
> \contextversion

Hello,

we have prepared a new czhyph.tex file. It detect ConTeXt and reads
patterns directly in that case. ConTeXt and TeXlive2003 users, just
replace czhyph.tex with the attached file.

(Hope it works :-)

Regards,
D.A.

--
For God's sake, stop researching for a while and begin to think!

[-- Attachment #2: czhyph.tex --]

* Footnotes
@ 2003-10-06 13:40     ` Albrecht Kauffmann
From: Albrecht Kauffmann @ 2003-10-06 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

does anyone know how to expand the distance between the last text line on
a page and the first footnote?

With many thanks for any hint
Albrecht

* hanging punctuation and lm-fonts
@ 2003-10-06 13:44     ` Albrecht Kauffmann
From: Albrecht Kauffmann @ 2003-10-06 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have a problem with the new installed lm fonts: With

\setupfontsynonym [Serif][handling=pure]
\setupalign[hanging]
\usetypescript [all] [latin-modern] [texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[reset] \setupbodyfont[cmr,11pt]

all works fine except hanging. What did I make wrong?

Many thanks in advance,
Albrecht

* Re: Czech patterns in TeXlive2003
@ 2003-10-14 22:45     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-10-14 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:58 06/10/2003, you wrote:

>we have prepared a new czhyph.tex file. It detect ConTeXt and reads
>patterns directly in that case. ConTeXt and TeXlive2003 users, just
>replace czhyph.tex with the attached file.
>
>(Hope it works :-)

looks ok to me, how about the slovak patterns?

I assume that this patch goes into the tex live repository

Thanks

Hans

* Re: Czech patterns in TeXlive2003
@ 2003-10-17  9:28       ` David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2003-10-17  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:45:06AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >we have prepared a new czhyph.tex file. It detect ConTeXt and reads
> >patterns directly in that case. ConTeXt and TeXlive2003 users, just
> >replace czhyph.tex with the attached file.
> >
> >(Hope it works :-)
>
> looks ok to me, how about the slovak patterns?

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the same problem, I'll write Petr Olsak
about that. We have forgotten our former federal frieds :-)

> I assume that this patch goes into the tex live repository

Sure, I'll do my best to push Olsak to propagate the changes.

Regards,
D.A.

--
Some people claim that the UNIX learning curve is steep, but at least you
only have to climb it once.

* Re: Czech patterns in TeXlive2003
@ 2003-11-05 14:09       ` David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2003-11-05 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:45:06AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> I assume that this patch goes into the tex live repository

Hello,

I've tried to propagate the changes into TeXlive, so I posted it to the
tex-live@tug.org mailing list. The list seems completely dead, even its
long-time members I know of report that their posts get lost. Do you
have an idea what happens there?

Thanks,
D.A.

--
For God's sake, stop researching for a while and begin to think!