* irregular typesetting area
@ 2004-01-14 11:00 Ole Schoening
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ole Schoening @ 2004-01-14 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Contexers,

I would like to repeat my question (see below) because I neither got
an answer nor found a solution on my own. I believe that
\defineoverlay cannot produce a solution for my problem because this
command puts pictures in a different layer and so the main text is
not affected (i.e. text is printed on top of underlying pictures).

Are there any hints available?
Ole

I'm trying to produce an irregular (more than 4 corners) typesetting
(main text) area of the following shape:

... (header) ....
                         _____________________________________
( logo /                | ... text area ...                  |
  overlay background)   |                                    |
________________________|                                    |
...                                                        ...
|                                    ________________________|
|                                   |(logo
|                                   |    /overlay background)
|         ... text area ...         |
|___________________________________|

The reason of this wish is not to overwrite the displayed logos
or overlay pictures, which are used to form a common layout for a
brochure.
Btw., the orientation of the logos / pictures changes from even to
odd pages.
The measures of the logos / pictures prohibit a solution just by
putting
them in the header or footer.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem?
Thanks in advance,
Ole

* Re: irregular typesetting area
@ 2004-01-14 11:11 ` Janko Hauser
From: Janko Hauser @ 2004-01-14 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:00:11 +0100
"Ole Schoening" <ole.schoening@vit.de> wrote:

> Dear Contexers,
>
> I would like to repeat my question (see below) because I neither got
> an answer nor found a solution on my own. I believe that
> \defineoverlay cannot produce a solution for my problem because this
> command puts pictures in a different layer and so the main text is
> not affected (i.e. text is printed on top of underlying pictures).
>
> Are there any hints available?

There is an indepth explanation in the PDF-document details.pdf
You do not work with an overlay, but use \placefigure, then the text
is flowing around the picture.

HTH,
__Janko

@ 2004-01-14 11:20 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2004-01-14 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ole,

It is just a suggestion. May be that the required information can be
found in the metafun manual. From page 226 (Talking to TeX) there is a
lot on typesetting text within a given shape.  Examples are given on
page 238.

Kind regards Willi

@ 2004-01-14 14:26 ` Janko Hauser
From: Janko Hauser @ 2004-01-14 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)