* Italic, captial Greek letters (with Latin Modern)
@ 2004-01-20 15:06 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2004-01-20 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

if I understand Latin Modern correctly, it contains the \Psi both as
upright and as italic version (CM has only the upright version).

How can I get the italic version?

It did not work this way:
  \usetypescript[modern][texnansi]
  \setupbodyfont[modern,12pt,ams]
  \starttext
    $\Psi$
  \stoptext

Tobias

* Re: Italic, captial Greek letters (with Latin Modern)
@ 2004-01-21 13:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-01-21 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 16:06 20/01/2004, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>if I understand Latin Modern correctly, it contains the \Psi both as
>upright and as italic version (CM has only the upright version).
>
>How can I get the italic version?
>
>It did not work this way:
>   \usetypescript[modern][texnansi]
>   \setupbodyfont[modern,12pt,ams]
>   \starttext
>     $\Psi$
>   \stoptext

you need to 'patch' the math-* files where the symbols are defined;

an option can be to provide an additional set of definitions; i can also
think of something

   \Var\Psi

what do the other mathematicians think

Hans

* Re: Italic, captial Greek letters (with Latin Modern)
@ 2004-01-21 13:25   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2004-01-21 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 02:07:57PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> you need to 'patch' the math-* files where the symbols are defined;
> an option can be to provide an additional set of definitions; i can also
> think of something
>   \Var\Psi
> what do the other mathematicians think

In principle, I would expect $\Psi$ -> italic, $\rm \Psi$ upright,
$\bf\Psi$ bold upright and $\bi\Psi$ bold italic; this would be
consistent with \psi.

The only problem is that all upright \Psi get suddenly italic as soon
as one switches the font. Since all variables are supposed to be italic
(and all units to be upright), I do not think that this poses a problem,
though.

Regarding \Var\Psi. I'm not sure what you mean by \Var.
Currently we have \phi and \varphi and therefore \Var... might be more
logical for the few characters that have more than one glyph.

Tobias