* Announcement: texutil.c
@ 2004-03-17 14:10 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-03-17 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Not sure if any of you consider this useful, but:

I have created a C port of the perl script texutil from the ConTeXt distribution.

The Makefile supports two different targets: with and without direct
linking to the kpathsea path search library (default is standalone).
License: GPL version 2 (for the kpathsea version), or the ConTeXt license
as defined in mreadme.pdf (for the standalone version)

Index key remapping and perl module plugins are not supported (both
features are actually unused in the current distribution of ConTeXt). All
other differences from the 'standard' texutil are bugs, and even though I
give no warranty whatsoever, I would still like to know about those so that
I can fix the source.

(17 mar 2004, based on texutil.pl 8.2)

Downloal is available from http://tex.aanhet.net/context/texutil/texutil.htm

Greetings, Taco

* Re: Announcement: texutil.c
@ 2004-03-18 15:57 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-03-18 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Taco,

> Not sure if any of you consider this useful, but:
>
> I have created a C port of the perl script texutil from the ConTeXt
> distribution.

may I ask you a question: why did you port it to c?

Patrick

* Re: Re: Announcement: texutil.c
@ 2004-03-19  8:14   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-03-19  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Mar 2004 16:57:05 +0100, Patrick wrote:

> may I ask you a question: why did you port it to c?

For a larger project with ConTeXt that should not depend on the availability
of perl. We needed a very large section of Texutil (--ref and --figures), so it
made sense to port the entire program to C.

Essentially, we will have TeX and Texutil and bits of Texexec in a single
executable, completely without disk-based versions of the tui and tuo file.

I'll probably end up converting some other scripts as well (texfont e.g.)

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Re: Announcement: texutil.c
@ 2004-03-19  9:18     ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2004-03-19  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> For a larger project with ConTeXt that should not depend on
> the availability of perl. We needed a very large section of
> Texutil (--ref and --figures), so it made sense to port the
> entire program to C.

What about using another script language like TCL that can be
made into a single file executable?  The dependency seems to be
"no external reference" and not "no perl" -- isn't it possible
to compile a perl prog into an executable?

> Essentially, we will have TeX and Texutil and bits of Texexec
> in a single executable, completely without disk-based
> versions of the tui and tuo file.

Will this be available for the public?  From time to time the
question aroses on this list to get a ConTeXt environment
without installing a full TeX distribution -- maybe you will
have the answer to this :-)

Uwe

--
voiceINTERconnect www.voiceinterconnect.de
... smart speech applications from germany

* Re: Re: Announcement: texutil.c
@ 2004-03-19  9:36       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-03-19  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:18 19/03/2004, Uwe Koloska wrote:

What about using another script language like TCL that can be
>made into a single file executable?  The dependency seems to be "no
>external reference" and not "no perl" -- isn't it possible to compile a
>perl prog into an executable?

both perl and ruby can be made into binaries

>>Essentially, we will have TeX and Texutil and bits of Texexec
>>in a single executable, completely without disk-based
>>versions of the tui and tuo file.
>
>Will this be available for the public?  From time to time the question
>aroses on this list to get a ConTeXt environment without installing a full
>TeX distribution -- maybe you will have the answer to this :-)

http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/linuxtex.zip.bz2       22 M (works ok,
all you need for context, run setuptex and you got your tree, fonts etc)
http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/macosxtex.zip.bz2      22 M (untested)
http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/mswintex.zip.bz2       22 M (works ok)
http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/tex.iso.bz2           120 M (unzips to an
ISO which runs context + everything from cd, for the moment win, including
perl/ruby)

Hans

* Re: Re: Announcement: texutil.c
@ 2004-03-19 12:31       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-03-19 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:18:57 +0100
Uwe Koloska <koloska@voiceinterconnect.de> wrote:

> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> > For a larger project with ConTeXt that should not depend on
> > the availability of perl. We needed a very large section of
> > Texutil (--ref and --figures), so it made sense to port the
> > entire program to C.
>
> What about using another script language like TCL that can be
> made into a single file executable?  The dependency seems to be

I knew how to get the job done quickly in C, not in TCL.
Also there are some extra runtime requirements like:
	"not bigger nor slower than necessary".

The C version runs quite a bit faster. The compiled C code is a
lot smaller than including an interpreter. texutil.c links easily
to tex.c (and tex.rb would have been a bit too much work ;)). etc.

Incidentally: yes, I have a tex.c. That may in fact become GPL-ed
sometime in the future, if and when our finished project deviates
sufficiently from tex.c+texutil.c

* Re: Re: Announcement: texutil.c
@ 2004-03-19 12:56         ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2004-03-19 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/linuxtex.zip.bz2       22 M (works ok,
> all you need for context, run setuptex and you got your tree, fonts etc)
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/macosxtex.zip.bz2      22 M (untested)
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/mswintex.zip.bz2       22 M (works ok)

Wow -- this looks very nice.  What version of macosx is it for? (for
now I only have 10.1 ...)

> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/tex.iso.bz2           120 M (unzips to
> an ISO which runs context + everything from cd, for the moment win,
> including perl/ruby)

Who is maintaining this one?  What is needed to expand it for the
other systems?

Uwe

--

@ 2004-03-19 12:57         ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2004-03-19 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Incidentally: yes, I have a tex.c. That may in fact become GPL-ed
> sometime in the future, if and when our finished project deviates
> sufficiently from tex.c+texutil.c

Very nice -- looking forward to this beast.  I think it does run
context, doesn't it?

Uwe

--

@ 2004-03-19 13:03         ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2004-03-19 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/linuxtex.zip.bz2       22 M (works ok,
> all you need for context, run setuptex and you got your tree, fonts etc)

Oh, and what is justtex.zip.bz2?
And why are these archives zip.bz2?

Uwe

--

@ 2004-03-19 13:32           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-03-19 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 13:56 19/03/2004, you wrote:
>Hans Hagen wrote:
>>http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/linuxtex.zip.bz2       22 M (works ok,
>>all you need for context, run setuptex and you got your tree, fonts etc)
>>http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/macosxtex.zip.bz2      22 M (untested)
>>http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/mswintex.zip.bz2       22 M (works ok)
>
>Wow -- this looks very nice.  What version of macosx is it for? (for now I
>only have 10.1 ...)

acrobat 6 on all mac 10.*'s i guess

>>http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/tex.iso.bz2           120 M (unzips to
>>an ISO which runs context + everything from cd, for the moment win,
>>including perl/ruby)
>
>Who is maintaining this one?  What is needed to expand it for the other
>systems?

i maintain it, and what i need is a version of scite for linux and the mac
that can run from cdrom (many linux things have hard coded paths);

when users provide proper *any editor* setups i can add them as well

Hans

* Re: Re: Announcement: texutil.c
@ 2004-03-19 13:34           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-03-19 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 14:03 19/03/2004, you wrote:
>Hans Hagen wrote:
>>http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/linuxtex.zip.bz2       22 M (works ok,
>>all you need for context, run setuptex and you got your tree, fonts etc)
>
>Oh, and what is justtex.zip.bz2?

I can generate small trees, and justtex is the base system, on top of that
i put the texmflocal tree, some more fonts, and binaries; justtex is a
subset of tex live

>And why are these archives zip.bz2?

the zip itself is uncompressed which bzip2's nicely

Hans

* Re: Re: Announcement: texutil.c
@ 2004-03-19 14:31             ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2004-03-19 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Hans Hagen wrote:

> http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/tex.iso.bz2           120 M (unzips
> to an ISO which runs context + everything from cd, for the moment win,
> including perl/ruby)
>
>> Who is maintaining this one?  What is needed to expand it for the
>> other systems?
>
> i maintain it, and what i need is a version of scite for linux and the
> mac that can run from cdrom (many linux things have hard coded paths);

With regard to what, perl? In this case, the EVAL mechanism of Thomas
Esser works reasonable well. Besides, de facto all Linux  have a
standard perl at /usr/bin/perl as defined by the FHS and LSB.  One
cannot assume that ruby is installed, but if then it is installed at
/usr/bin/ruby.

> when users provide proper *any editor* setups i can add them as well

Well, regarding editors, one can  write a script like:
----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh
if [ -z "$EDITOR" ]; then
    command -v  editor 2>/dev/null && EDITOR=editor
     [ -z "$EDITOR ] && EDITOR=vi
fi
I think I should have a look at the ConTeXt Live CD.

Regards,

Tobias,
who wonders why he is only receiving  ConTeXt emails via  one email
address and not via the other, since mailman claims that I'm subscribed.