* pagination bug
@ 2004-05-25 17:30 Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2004-05-25 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,
The following minimum file does not paginate correctly. It overflows
the second page. Removing the figure or the second level of itemization
fixes the pagination. I have enclosed the text of the file and the file
itself for ease of reproduction.

I am using the latest stable version from i-installer. I actually think
I have had this problem before but not tracked it down.

TIA
--
Nigel

\starttext
\placefigure
   [here]
   [fig:a]
   {big figure}
  {\externalfigure[koe][width=\textwidth,height=\textwidth]}

\startitemize[packed,n]
\dorecurse{10} {\item repeated}
\startitemize[packed,a,columns]
\dorecurse{10} {\item repeated indent}
\stopitemize

\stopitemize
\dorecurse{7}{\input zapf \par\relax}

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #2: bug.tex --]

* Re: pagination bug
@ 2004-05-26 14:46 ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2004-05-26 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,
I may not have stated the seriousness of this bug adequately. What I
meant to say was that after the first page the example doen't paginate
at all!

TIA
Nigel

On 25 May 2004, at 18:30, Nigel King wrote:

> Hans,
> The following minimum file does not paginate correctly. It overflows
> the second page. Removing the figure or the second level of
> itemization fixes the pagination. I have enclosed the text of the file
> and the file itself for ease of reproduction.
>
> I am using the latest stable version from i-installer. I actually
> think I have had this problem before but not tracked it down.
>
> TIA
> --
> Nigel
>

> \starttext
> \placefigure
>   [here]
>   [fig:a]
>   {big figure}
>  {\externalfigure[koe][width=\textwidth,height=\textwidth]}
>
> \startitemize[packed,n]
> \dorecurse{10} {\item repeated}
> \startitemize[packed,a,columns]
> \dorecurse{10} {\item repeated indent}
> \stopitemize
>
> \stopitemize
> \dorecurse{7}{\input zapf \par\relax}
>
> \stoptext
>

> <bug.tex>

* Re: pagination bug
@ 2004-05-26 19:24 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-05-26 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 19:30 25/05/2004, you wrote:
>Hans,
>The following minimum file does not paginate correctly. It overflows the
>second page. Removing the figure or the second level of itemization fixes
>the pagination. I have enclosed the text of the file and the file itself
>for ease of reproduction.
>
>I am using the latest stable version from i-installer. I actually think I
>have had this problem before but not tracked it down.
>
>TIA
>--
>Nigel
>

>\starttext
>\placefigure
>   [here]
>   [fig:a]
>   {big figure}
>  {\externalfigure[koe][width=\textwidth,height=\textwidth]}
>
>\startitemize[packed,n]
>\dorecurse{10} {\item repeated}
>\startitemize[packed,a,columns]
>\dorecurse{10} {\item repeated indent}
>\stopitemize
>
>\stopitemize
>\dorecurse{7}{\input zapf \par\relax}
>
>\stoptext

I'm not that sure if the next will not interfere with other situations, so
please play a bit with white space settings ans such and mixed one/two
column modes

\def\endmulticolumns
   {%\par
    \vskip\lineheight\vskip-\lineheight % take footnotes into account
    \dontshowcomposition
    \doflushcolumnfloat  % added recently
   %\doflushcolumnfloats % no, since it results in wrong top floats
    \flushnotes          % before start of columns
    \par
    \ifbalancecolumns
      \global\output{\continuousmulticolumnsout}%
      \goodbreak
      \global\output{\balancedmulticolumnsout}%
    \else
      \goodbreak
    \fi
    \eject               % the prevdepth is important, try e.g. toclist in
    \prevdepth\zeropoint % columns before some noncolumned text text
    \global\output\singlecolumnout
    \global\output{\the\mainoutput}% % % % % todo
    \ifvoid\precolumnbox\else
      \unvbox\precolumnbox
    \fi
    \global\precolumnboxheight\zeropoint
    \endgroup % here
    \nofcolumns\plusone
    \setvsize % the outer one!
\synchronizeoutput % new may 2004 / we need to: \pagegoal\vsize
    \checkendcolumnfootnotes
    \dosomebreak\allowbreak
    \restoresavedfloats}

* Re: pagination bug
@ 2004-05-26 22:54   ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2004-05-26 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,
Thank you very much for this I had not realized it would be so
complicated. The document which raised the problem now works correctly.
I will try to find other examples.

Thanks again

--
Nigel

* Re: pagination bug
@ 2004-05-27 21:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-05-27 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 00:54 27/05/2004, you wrote:

>Thank you very much for this I had not realized it would be so
>complicated. The document which raised the problem now works correctly. I
>will try to find other examples.

i only added:

>\synchronizeoutput % new may 2004 / we need to: \pagegoal\vsize

so the patch was easy but the solution may be wrong (i didn't test it in
grid mode)

Hans

* Re: pagination bug
@ 2004-05-28  8:45       ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2004-05-28  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans and all,
I do not use grid mode perhaps somebody who does could check that
nothing is wrong.

--
Nigel

* Re: pagination bug
@ 2004-06-09 13:44       ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2004-06-09 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> [May 28, 2004 09:40]:
> >\synchronizeoutput % new may 2004 / we need to: \pagegoal\vsize

> so the patch was easy but the solution may be wrong (i didn't test it in
> grid mode)

I have no clue why, but yes, it seems it doesn't solve all problems.
Here's something that fails (and I have a real-life issue with this as
well, which is more or less the same):

\starttext

\dorecurse{7}{\input zapf \par\relax}

\startitemize[columns,four]
\dorecurse{12}{\nop \type{[:alnum:]}}
\stopitemize

\dorecurse{7}{\input zapf \par\relax}

\stoptext

It fails for \startitemize[columns] as well.  It seems that the problem
arises when the itemize is pushed onto the second page.  Remove the
first \dorecurse{7}{\input ...} and it works fine...It would be great to
see this working,
	nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::