* PDFTeX sources
@ 2004-07-30  3:44 Salman Khilji
From: Salman Khilji @ 2004-07-30  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

1)  I want to know the simplest way (and the minimal way) to compile PDFTeX on
Windows.  From the manual, I see that you have to download

web-7.3.tar.gz
web2c-7.3.tar.gz
pdftex.tar.gz

However, this assumes that you have ./configure available (means UNIX or
Cygwin).  While I have been using Linux for the past two years, I'm afraid, I
am too incompetent, dumb, lazy, stupid, and stubborn to learn autoconf and
autotools---I want to know exactly what steps are performed while compiling
the program and it would be best understood if I had a simple Visual C++
project file to work with.

I want to be able to compile pdfTeX from sources using an already available
DSP (MS Visual C++ project file)---this means it should somehow use an
already existing config.h file.

I downloaded the MikTeX sources, but it comes with 65535 other files and
directories that I do not need and also mandates the download of Cygwin.

2)  Basically, I want to learn a little about the internals of pdfTeX to
investigate if I can take the PDF specific C source code out of it and
somehow use then in the TeX++ project (which is a reincarnation of CommonTeX,
which was an implementation of TeX written in C from scratch by Pat Monardo).
I must admit that TeX++ is a piece of cake to install and compile simply
because there is no autoconf and autotools to convolute the project.

I have been reading TeX, the program these days from cover to cover and
comparing the source code to the TeX++ sources and the two are as close as it
can get.  So I suppose, one could take PDFTeX, strip it out of the web2c
files, massage the rest to fit TeX++, and have an easy to compile, and extend
version of TeX that produces PDF files directly.

Any inputs on this matter?

Salman

* Re: PDFTeX sources
@ 2004-07-30  7:43 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-07-30  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Salman Khilji wrote:

>Any inputs on this matter?

maybe ask tacoh <taco@elvenkind.com>, or even better, look into his metatex (separate list)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: PDFTeX sources
@ 2004-07-30  7:43 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-07-30  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:44:37 -0700
Salman Khilji <skhilji@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> 1)  I want to know the simplest way (and the minimal way) to compile PDFTeX on
> Windows.  From the manual, I see that you have to download
>
> I want to be able to compile pdfTeX from sources using an already available
> DSP (MS Visual C++ project file)---this means it should somehow use an
> already existing config.h file.
>
> I downloaded the MikTeX sources, but it comes with 65535 other files and
> directories that I do not need and also mandates the download of Cygwin.

I don't think there is an 'easy and minimal way' atm, especially not for pdftex
which needs a number of libraries available at compile time.

> 2)  Basically, I want to learn a little about the internals of pdfTeX to
> investigate if I can take the PDF specific C source code out of it and

Isolation would be very hard I believe. pdftex makes changes all over (e.g. to
allow justification improvements and creation of arbitrary pdf objects).

> somehow use then in the TeX++ project (which is a reincarnation of CommonTeX,
> which was an implementation of TeX written in C from scratch by Pat Monardo).

Tell me more (off-list), it seems we are doing more or less the same thing!

You might want to look at the sources on this location:

  http://www.metatex.org/

The CXTeX sources are not bug-free, but it compiles usable pdf documents cf.
"pdfetex". They are based on a manual conversion (by me) of the web sources.
It is a lot easier to setup than a full blown TeX installation, but it does
use autoconf, so it will need some work to get it compile without msys/cygwin.

Greetings, Taco