* Metapost variable problem
@ 2004-08-03 12:37 Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2004-08-03 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good afternoon.

I am sorry that I bother you with this offtopic but I don't know where
else I can ask.

I want to prepare a better interface for my metapost macros. I want to
use the record-like variables to store "object" information. But I don't
know how to copy such records. More precisely, let's suppose I have

    string a.type; a.type:="ecicsqrt";
    string a.name; a.name:="indifference curve number 1";
    string a.A; a.A:="1";
    string a.B; a.B:="1";

And I want to copy it to a record b. But
    b:=a;
doesn't work (now b is equal to some unknown token a).

Is there some simple way to do it, or have I to copy it manually like this:
    string b.type; b.type:=a.type;

Many thanks for your help. With wishes of nice summer
Michal Kvasnicka

* Re: Metapost variable problem
@ 2004-08-03 13:51 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-08-03 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:37:18 +0000
Michal Kvasnicka <quasar@econ.muni.cz> wrote:

> Good afternoon.
>
> I am sorry that I bother you with this offtopic but I don't know where
> else I can ask.

There is a mailing list for metafont (and metapost). To subscribe, e-mail:

  To: listserv@ens.fr
  Subject: subscribe metafont Michal Kvasnicka

> Is there some simple way to do it, or have I to copy it manually like this:
>     string b.type; b.type:=a.type;

direct assignment will definately not work. Some sort of automation based
on the suffix names may be possible (using forsuffixes perhaps) but writing
a dedicated macro is probably easiest.

Greetings, Taco