From: Siep Kroonenberg <siepo@cybercomm.nl>
Subject: Re: Re: How to use PostScript font
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:56:15 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 01:26:06AM +0200, Hans Hagen Outside wrote:

> ok; btw, also take a look at sieps afm2pl since it has some other nice
> features
> Hans

My belated three cents on some of the things which were discussed in
this thread:

As to texnansi: this is supported in Latex by texnansi.sty. For
Western European languages, it seems to cover pretty much
everything, so there is no need for text companion fonts or virtual
fonts. Basic support (without artificial smallcaps) for a font
family with non-virtual texnansi fonts consists of just four tfms, a
mapfile fragment and, for Latex, an fd file.

As to fontinst: doing it the easy way, using just the latinfamily
command, you get dozens of files, in 8R, T1, OT1 and TS1 encoding.
You have to be pretty expert if you want more fine-grained control
and a more economical set of support files. I don't even know
whether Fontinst can generate non-virtual texnansi fonts which are
suitable for regular typesetting. Besides, I believe that nowadays
fontinst depends on Latex.

Sorry about just mentioning Latex here: I am only an occasional
Context user, and don't use typescripts or texfont at all.

As to afm2pl: the latest version available from tex.aanhet.net is
0.6; later versions are written to be part of TeX Live 2004 which is
currently under development. Because of changes in the TDS, these
may not work correctly in an older TeX installation.

Version 0.7.02 with afm2tfm compatibility is not yet in the TeX Live
source tree, last time I checked.

--
Siep Kroonenberg